Register

Modding a G5 and moving over my current build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, I was just given a complete Power Mac G5 at work, so naturally I want to use it for something. I have been thinking about doing a G5/Mac Pro mod for a while now, and when I found this baby just sitting abandoned in a closet, that sealed the deal. It's going to be a couple of weeks until I'll be home long enough to start the actual work (vacation time around here!), but I wanted to get a thread going for presenting my thoughts, and getting some much-needed input, and also buying advice for tools.

Current build

Basically, my goal is to move over my current Hackintosh build (thread: here), which I'm super happy with, without any major new hardware purchases. Key points of the build are:

• Based around an Asus P8Z77-M Pro mATX board
  • Intel Core i5-3570k CPU cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC for games
  • The PSU is the modular Corsair HX650W

The G5

The Power Mac G5 is in pretty good shape – some minor scratches, but nothing more than regular office wear and tear I would say, and since it was completely free, I'm not complaining :) It does have a couple of black scratches, probably from a chair or something, which I hope to be able to get out. The plastic is in great shape too.
I haven't been able to start the G5 unfortunately (maybe the PSU is dead…?), [edit: lol, someone (*cough*) had unplugged the front panel, which is why it didn't start up. I only have a dual-link DVI cable, and no compatible adapters, though, so can't actually see anything] so I haven't been able to get the complete specs, but from the Model No, apparently it is a PowerMac7,3 from sometime during 2005 "A1047 (EMC 2061)". Here's a pic of the innards:

sqW0CEcl.jpg

You can't see it in the photo, but it's fantastically dusty inside. I felt like an archeologist when I opened it up :) The next step will have to be taking it apart and cleaning it as well as possible.

Goals

• Cool and quiet – the current build's CPU temperature hovers at around 35ºC when idling, now during summer, and is whisper quiet when the video card is not being used (i.e. when on the desktop)
  • Looking as much as possible as the original from the front and sides
  • The inside is function over form – I'm not going to have it open so it doesn't matter. Good if it's nice-looking of course, but I'm not going to put the "G5" logo covers in there or anything.
  • No major new hardware purchases – meaning, just electrical/IO stuff and connectors/cables that I might need, as well as tools
  • Have the front power button, LED and IO panel working, and hopefully replace the Firewire connector with an USB
Plans and questions

I'm planning to get The Laser Hive's G5 mATX conversion kit for the motherboard tray and the backplate. I like how it keeps the original PCI slots, and it all seems pretty "easy" to install, as well as being of great workmanship. I would go for the 120 mm fan version, on account on the "quiet" requirement.

• I'm planning to have a push/pull fan configuration, with one (or 2 if it's necessary) 120 mm fans in the front, pulling in air, then one 120 mm on the CPU cooler, pulling, and finally another 120 mm in the back, blowing out
  • I'm unsure about how to mount the fans in the front. Maybe an aluminum angle bracket would be the easiest way? I'm guessing the original plastic cover is there for airflow, so it would be good to keep it there – anything I should be thinking about in regards to that – do I need to completely seal the space around the fans for example, to keep them from just circulating air from inside the case? Any ideas for that in that case?
  • I'm undecided about PSU placement. I've seen some builds have it up top, in the space where the hard drive cage is currently. I think that looks pretty slick, and would be great for me since I don't plan on having many 3.5" drive in there. It does require cutting the metal divider though, which is why I'm not sure. Even if I put it in the bottom/front (which seems to be the 'standard' placement for G5 mods), I'll need to make a power extension cable though, right?
  • Like I said above, I'd really like to have the front panel functioning. I'm sure the power button and LED are no problem, but the IO seems tricky, especially since I don't have much electronics experience (see below.) I would also like to switch out the Firewire connector, if possible, to a USB one. I've seen people using replacement front panels for other cases in their builds, but how are you using them? I don't want to have to saw/glue the front (I just know it won't look good when I'm done), so ideally I would like to replace the connectors for new ones that I can connect to a standard motherboard. Would be great to have USB 3.0 in the front too. Has anyone seen a nice solution for all this? Something not difficult for a layman, that doesn't require sawing/replacing the front panel?
  • Not sure about optical drive – I don't have one in my current build, and I don't see myself ever having a need for one. But at the same time it's a little weird that there would be a flap for it in the front of the case, without being in use… :)

Tools and experience

I haven't done any real metal work before, and electronics work has been pretty much been limited to twisting cables together and fixating with shrink tubing. I did do some basic circuit board soldering way back, in school, but that's all but lost to me now. I have all the basic tools (screwdrivers, incl torx, different pliers, etc), but other than that:
  • I'm guessing I'll need a Dremel for cutting the metal, especially if I end up putting the PSU up top. Will a Dremel 3000 be enough? And what kind of accessories should I get – just the metal cutting discs?
  • Maybe also some pliers for trimming edges? And a file?
  • What should I look for in a basic soldering iron for cables? Will i need one of those holders to put the cables in when I work?

Finally

Apologies for a super-long post, and apologies also if I'm asking some stupid/obvious questions. I've been looking through build threads all day, but it's a lot to take in, so it would be amazing to get some guidance from the more experienced modders. Thanks for reading – can't wait to get this thing started!

Hi,

no stupid questions! Just bring it on :)

A Dremel 3000 will be enough. That has been all I need for my 2nd mod. A file can be replaced with the Dremel.
You are lucky to have an early 2005 G5 with the "easy" front panel. If you want to go the safe way, you can order a Front panel cable from the other Hackintosh forum (insanely mac).

Two 120mm fans in the front will do a good job! One in the front wouldn't be enough because you already own a little heater (the GTX 670).

The laserhive kit will do an awesome job, and is quite easy to install.

One thing to keep in mind: The mATX Kit and the Geforce 670 will result in just a little space for the GPU to pull in fresh air. If your GPU is already pushing the air out by itself, it will not be a big problem.

The side panel (glass) can be used if your CPU cooler isn't to high. I think 160mm should be the limit of the height of the cooler.

Be careful with the HDDs in the front! If you place them under the top shelf it will block the GPU air ventilation and will limit the possible length of your GPU (happend in my first build). And the the side panel might not fit with some HDDs (+cage) if it's placed in the front (like in my 1st build).

The PSU in the top is a nice and easy way. With the obtained space in the bottom (G5 PSU) you can store the HDDs. If you will combine the PSU in the top with a mATX mainboard you will have plenty of space down under.

You can take a look at my 2nd build which is kind of the same setup as you have.

Edit: The cooler will work with the side panel!

If you have a late 2005 G5 then you may want to pick up an earlier front panel board because the late 2005 ones are notoriously hard to reuse. The late 2005 part has a blue PCB vs green on the earlier models and connects directly tot he motherboard vs with a cable on earlier models.

I just found where the serial number and model details were printed (duh), and the computer is an Early 2005 model dual 2.3 GHz G5. So, yay, then, in terms of the front panel board I guess? The PCB is green too.

Thanks for the very thorough answer, Dschijn!

I'll check out the ready-made cables, they will be good if I decide to skip USB 3.0 and converting the Firewire connector. An alternative might be to use those ready-made ones, and then somehow disconnect the existing USB and Firewire connectors (desolder them from the PCB) and glue a USB 3.0 adapter on there instead and line the ports up with the panel (something like this one from Silverstone.) I don't think I have the electronics chops to make things terminate correctly without those ports though, but might be worth looking into at least.

Regarding the video card – the reason I selected that specific model originally over other GTX 670 cards, is that it has a different cooling solution than most – it has three fans on the surface, which makes it ideal to blow air over in my current case (see this photo of the setup, you can see the bottom fan is blowing over across the video card aswell as towards the CPU cooler.) That case has ventilation next to the video card though, so maybe I need to fix up something similar here… I'm not actually sure how the air travels once it's been sucked in by the video card fans, but I assume it exits through the back.
I realize now that that might also make it problematic to have the PSU up top – then the PSU and video card would trying to "pull the same air" so to speak.

I'll study your 2nd build in detail to get inspiration. Thanks again!

Your GPU will push hot air to the sides of the card.
The PSU can be placed on top without any problems. Of course it's better to provide fresh air for the PSU and the GPU.
In my 2nd build I installed an air tunnel to guide fresh air directly to the GPU, you could do sth similar.

Thanks! I'll start by ordering the motherboard tray + backplate, and tearing everything apart, and then try to fit things in. I'll update this thread with my progress (and probably lots more questions :))!

Thanks! I'll start by ordering the motherboard tray + backplate, and tearing everything apart, and then try to fit things in. I'll update this thread with my progress (and probably lots more questions :))!

A small tip when ordering the tray - if you send a picture of the stripped interior - showing the G5 standoff positions for your particular G5 - then you can ask for the perspex tray to be made so it just has the correct holes for your specific model instead of having the extra holes in it that make it a "Universal" fit. :)

Oh, nice, thanks for the tip! I'll try to find time to strip it down for a photo today and then I'll send the e-mail. I have some questions about shipping too, since I'm going away for a bit, so I need to know how to time it ;) But I'll put it all in the e-mail. Cheers.

I mounted my front fans using aluminum angle bracket. Check out my first two G5 builds in my signature.

Happy modding
chaos

I mounted my front fans using aluminum angle bracket. Check out my first two G5 builds in my signature.

Happy modding
chaos
Yah, I was looking at your threads for inspiration actually – looks a nice, and quite easy way, to mount the front fans. I've been trying to think of possible ways to attach dust filters to the front, and also cover the space around the fans, to minimize dust intake (akin to Dschijn's 2nd, "dust free" mod), since I have a cat roaming the flat :) I think I'll just have to actually go to the hardware store and see what they have. Dschijn's solution looks really great, but is difficult to pull off without the skills and access to a laser cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back