Contribute
Register

MoBo & RAM Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah sorry! Didn't read your first post!

I would go with your second post and pair the GA-Z77MX-D3H TH with a i7 3770k. Seems to be a fair few successful builds with that combo.

should also work with the i7-4970k, right? that was my initial processor choice :)

Afraid not. The 4790K is a 1150 socket, the Z77 is 1155 socket so will only work with 1155 CPUs, like the 3770K.

thank you! almost made a huge mistake then :p
so going with the 4970k (i need the power) - what mATX would you recommend for it? the 87 are mostly out of stock sadly :/ i might try my luck with this one:

GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5

there are some posts going on about it already which have gotten some things running..

No problem. Make sure you visit the Gigabyte website and look at the support list for compatible CPUs.

Yea older hardware can be difficult to get. Much easier if you are OK getting it second hand though. TBH I really doubt you'll notice much of a performance difference between the Haswell Refresh (or Haswell) and Ivy Bridge. I do appreciate your concerns going for older tech in a new build though.

If you happy to give up the Thunderbolt, I would stick with the Z87 boards in the buyers guide. As long as the BIOS is updated, it will work with the 4790K. The Z97 are getting there, but it seems like unnecessary effort unless you plan on using the updated connections (M.2 and SATA express) or want to update to the Broadwell CPUs.

Again...appreciate they are getting harder to source now, but that would be my advice. My setup with the Z87 and 4770k was really easy!

Best of luck mate.

great to hear, thank you :) no problem with second hand here, it's just hard to get by in switzerland - ebay international and stuff like horrendous shipping costs :p

which of the two z87 did you go for? the mx or the M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back