EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Advice on Motherboard, RAM & parts choice

Hi there,

My salary just came in and my savings have piled up to be enough to finally start the adventure of building a Hackintosh.

I have decided on these parts:
CPU: i7-4970K

And need help deciding on the following ones to match my requirements:

CPU Cooling:
* Liquid
[?] i was checking out the H100i and H110 so far

RAM:
* 32GB
[?] Clock speed, the 4970k states 1600MHz as memory speed, is there a valid point in buying a faster ram anyways or just a waste of money?

MoBo
* mATX
* Working Thunderbolt port (i own peripherals which i dont want to be a waste)
* Support MacOS & Windows dual boot
* 4 HD slots (2x SSD for OS', 2x physical for data)
* support the ram mentioned above
* wifi compatibility if possible but i am also ready to spring for a wifi card

GPU:
* CUDA support
* min 2GB Ram
* 4K support (60 Hz)
[?]i was looking at this one: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3768-KR

questions:
what MoBo & RAM would you recommend, and what do you think about my Cooler & GPU choice?

what is to say, for example on the GA-Z77MX-D3H TH

or should i go with a z87 or z99 rather?

ASRock Z97M OC Formula seems to be an awesome board.
is it hackable? i havent found any builds in the forum

Would use the search function to find other user builds with that motherboard. I suspect there aren't too many since its quite new, and ASrock boards aren't in the buyers guide. If you fancy the challenge go for it, if you want a more straight forward build, stick with Gigabyte.

Would use the search function to find other user builds with that motherboard. I suspect there aren't too many since its quite new, and ASrock boards aren't in the buyers guide. If you fancy the challenge go for it, if you want a more straight forward build, stick with Gigabyte.

i searched and could not find someone using the exact board sadly. which gigabyte would you recommend? the z77 or should i go with something a bit newer?

Check out the Buyers Guide. Would stick with the Z87 personally.

the GA-Z87MX-D3H does look nice, only misses the thunderbolt which is a bit of a problem for me as i have peripherals for it. is there a big performance boost compared to the z77?

The UD5H TH or UD7H TH have thunderbolt.

Probably not a huge difference between the two. Your decision will probably be based on budget and availability. It can be harder to source older hardware unless its second hand.

The UD5H TH or UD7H TH have thunderbolt.

Probably not a huge difference between the two. Your decision will probably be based on budget and availability. It can be harder to source older hardware unless its second hand.

sadly both ATX form factor and therefore not an option for this case/build. maybe i'll just drop the thunderbolt requirement.. or try to go the hard path with the asus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back