Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone, running into a bit of an annoying issue. First back story:

Installed ML on my Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard with 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD which was connected to a SATAII (blue) port on the motherboard. I believe I read that I should avoid using the white SATA3 ports on installation. I've got my system basically set up and pretty stable so I thought it was time to add my data which is located on a different 1TB drive. Because my motherboard only has 3 SATAII ports and they are all being used (1x for CD-ROM, 1x for ML, 1x future Windows 7 installation), I only have my SATAIII ports available. When hot-plug the drive into the port ML recognized the drive just fine and I can use it normally. When I need to shutdown/reboot the system gets stuck on boot up saying "Loading Operating System..." I believe that's what it says as I'm not sitting at my system right now. When I unplug the SATAIII drive it boots just fine so then when the system is up and running I just plug it back in.

Obvious question, how do I get this system to boot with the 1TB SATA drive attached to the SATAIII port without plugging and unplugging it?

I need to create another thread for next as my system reboots every time I select shutdown. Haven't found a thread talking about a fix for that.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Setting the correct boot order in BIOS? The SATA3 ports are probably set to a higher priority than the SATA2 ports.

I'll double check the boot order but I'm about 99.9% sure that my OSX SSD was number 1 on the hard drive list. One of my co-workers mentioned making sure AHCI was enabled on the SATA3 ports so I'll be double checking that too. Not sure why those ports would be configured any different.

Stay tuned! Thanks for the thoughts!

Thought I would close out this thread since I was able to finally work on this problem and get it fixed. Even though my boot order was correct in the BIOS ML was defaulting to SATA0 which was the SATA3 port. That's why it was saying "Loading Operating System...". The fix was simple. I changed the ML drive to SATA0 (the SATA3 port) and put the other drives in appropriate ports on the motherboard and it booted just fine. Fixed!

No I just need to figure out my reboot issue. Can't find anything in the power settings :(.

I have not tried that. I'll be able to try that tonight and report back in.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back