Contribute
Register

ML: UEFI HDMI audio, no dsdt edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working hdmi audio + onboard audio confirmed! Finally no sleep issues!

Hey guys! This was originally a much longer post in which I mentioned how I got to this method exactly but for sake of practicality I'm skipping all that bit and cutting to the chase...

Being able to get HDMI Audio working without having to get into DSDT editing is a blessing because I couldn't understand HALF of the various guides and steps required to getting that up and working. Between the great Toleda's work in putting together this guide and posts such as #7 by Aaron97 I got together this method for enabling both HDMI Audio and Onboard Audio using most of the steps already outlined in the guide and mixing them with some of the other posts.

Basically it comes down to this:

1. Did a fresh install of Mountain Lion

2. Updated to 10.8.4

3. Installed Multibeast with the UserDSDT / DSDT-Free option checked (I did NOT supply ANY DSDT to multibeast; didn't place any on the desktop)

4. While in Multibeast I also checked off my audio codec which in the case of my Z77n is the ALC892 but the key here is to check the one from the "WITH DSDT"!!! section even though technically our installation would mandate we use the one found under the "Without DSDT" section since we didn't put one on the desktop in the previous step. You could try checking off your network driver at this point in time but usually the whole system freezes on me after just installing those first two things so I usually do that at a later time.

6. After a force restart you'll find that there is no Audio Device detected, and this makes perfect sense considering we installed the audio driver under the "WITH DSDT" section but we didn't actually provide Multibeast with a DSDT at the time of install, hence the non working audio as of yet.

7. So you're on the desktop, no Audio device has been detected, all you have to do is drag the SSDT-1.aml which you renamed to SSDT.aml into your Extra folder and you're done... (I do run the DPCIManager and hit the rebuild kernel cache option though I'm not sure if this is necessary, I'm sure Toleda will correct me with why it is and what it actually does)

And well... that's it! After a restart your HDMI Audio and Onboard Audio will be working.
It seems that the presence of the SSDT.aml in the extra folder alone is enough to get your HDMI Audio working AS WELL AS your onboard Audio, as if this "SSDT.aml" was the "DSDT" that your "WITH DSDT" codec installation had been waiting for.
I've tested this and have both onboard and hdmi audio working with no wake from sleep display problems so I'm a happy camper...

As a side note just in case you didn't know, you don't have to open up system preferences and flip back and forth between HDMI Audio and Onboard Audio whenever you want to use your headphones... If you plug in the headphones to the FRONT headphone jack MAC OSX automatically switches your audio device from HDMI AUDIO to Onboard Audio and will return to HDMI Audio as soon as you unplug the headphones... MAN I LOVE THAT SILLY LITTLE PERSONAL DISCOVERY OF MINE! Used to waste time manually switching between the two devices all the time!

In my previous post I had gone into detail as to how adding the <key>DropSSDT</key> <string>Yes</string> into your Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and deleting the HDAEnabler1.kext from S/L/E as mentioned in the original guide was actually destructive towards not being able to get both HDMI Audio AND Onboard Audio working...

Anyhow I'm not quite sure how this method of simply installing your audio codec from the WITH DSDT section (even though you didnt provide one) and then dragging the SSDT.aml file into the Extra folder actually gets both your HDMI Audio and Onboard Audio working but I'm sure glad it did! If you would be so kind Toleda and tell me if there's some part of this method thats wrong or causes counterproductive sideeffects I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time!

I got together this method for enabling both HDMI Audio and Onboard Audio using most of the steps already outlined in the guide and mixing them with some of the other posts.
Thanks, everything you discovered is there by design; there is no luck or magic. Credit goes to many.

hello i need help.. i put the ssdt in extra and all its ok.. now i have sound from hdmi (lg tv) but if i am watching a video from the internet or somewhere else after 3-4 min the sound starts to change! (distorsion).. motherboard gigabyte z77 ds3h and i5 3570k lion 10.8.5 (from 10.8.2). iam new to hackintosh :) EDIT i have problem only on internet videos! vlc videos sound perfect! so the ssdt method is working!! now i only have the internet sound problem :thumbup:

I would like to add that success with my build with this method on a Z77 UPD5 TH Gigabyte motherboard with an i5 2320 ,no problems what so ever ,i would like to see controls added if ever possible ,but for now this works great!:thumbup: thanks Guys!

works perfect! you are the best!!
running thru sony sound bar 8 channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back