Contribute
Register

Migrating to OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the claims to goodness of Corpnewt USBmap is no reliance on XhciPortLimit Quirk.

You run the tool to discover roots and build a dummy ext, which is based on concept of USBInjectAll.kext and boot from it, then discover ports, parring down to get under 26 per root so you can see every port you need (in rare cases there are too many to enumerate for discovery) then home in on discovering and determining precisely the 15 personalities you need. The tool has some minor ease-of-use pitfalls but nothing that a aspiring hacker will find show-stopping.

These days the biggest glitch is you have to bring Python to the party on late Monterey.

Last edited:
Which ports?

If you are not using the HS02 port shown as internal, then you can remove this port and add another port from one of the middle USB3 ports on the rear I/O plate.

Same goes for HS13, if you are not using the internal header port, then adding another USB2 port from the middle pair of USB3 ports might be helpful.
It is the two middle rear USB ports. Doesn't look yours has the USB2 version of the two rear middles defined either.

As I said, it isn't that big of a deal as it is just two ports, and all the others support the couple USB2 devices I have.

Appreciate all the help Edhawk! Will still look at it over time, but pretty happy with things. Apparently, I have been using the incorrect audio out for the past 3 years, lol. Guess with a two speaker it wants to use the front output, MAC I could select any port for output, but Windoze doesn't seem to behave in that manner.

I chose not to enable the two ports on the middle pair of USB3 ports, as I had enough USB2 ports available from the USB headers. I use a USB2 header splitter, which allowed me to connect the 2 x USB2 case front ports and the USB card reader and 1 x USB2 port to one of the two headers.

511cAzaW23L._AC_SL1000_.jpg 1 to 4 header splitter from Amazon.co.uk

As I only use two of the four headers on the splitter, I can still attach another two header connectors. So the two USB2 ports on their middle pair of USB3 ports weren't necessary for my setup.

The Audio codec I use with this MSI Z370 board is layout-id=100, I use the alcid=100 boot arg in the config.plist to set this option. So the internal audio works alongside the 2 x DisplayPort audio and the Dell USB soundbar audio.

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 12.23.28.png Audio connectors available in my system.

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 12.25.05.png Sound Preferences in macOS Ventura

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 12.26.48.png Hackintool Sound tab, Realtek audio highlighted

Yeah I am not even worried about it as my USB2 devices are covered with everything else. My two front ports are USB2/3 as well. So I have 6 USB3 ports (4 that support USB2), and then the two USB2 on the back up highest work for my mouse and my keyboard.

I think my audio misunderstanding is the fact that my OSX sees the utputs (Front, Rear, Side and Center/Sub) as Simply LineOut. So on the MAC I had been using the REar Speaker out plug, and had to ensure the proper line-out was selected. When I started configuring Windoze it didn't seem to have as fine of control, but once I changed my speakers to the Front Speaker out plug sound work in Windoze, and once back in OSX will just set to a different line-out.

I believe I am using the Layout=1, but will have to doublecheck. Looks like you have the ALC892 as well, so maybe I should adjust my layout for my sound. I can also play audio out of my Asus monitor, but of course doesn't sound as good. But it seems i have the same audio functionality with the layout of 1. I believe that is what the first in the list for that codec mentions in the install guide. But there was a list of 10 or so.

The reason I am using the alcid=100 audio codec layout-id is because there is a specific option in AppleALC for my MSI Z370-A Pro, as shown below.

Extract from settings for ALC892, within AppleALC.kext
Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 21.14.56.png Layout-ID =100 settings for my MB

As you don't have the same board, similar but not the same, it might not work for your setup. But trying it is simple so definitely worth seeing if it makes any difference.

I wouldn't have thought MSI would go to the trouble of creating multiple Audio setups for their Z370 boards, not when they use the same Realtek ALC892 audio codec.

The reason I am using the alcid=100 audio codec layout-id is because there is a specific option in AppleALC for my MSI Z370-A Pro, as shown below.

Extract from settings for ALC892, within AppleALC.kext
View attachment 551900 Layout-ID =100 settings for my MB

As you don't have the same board, similar but not the same, it might not work for your setup. But trying it is simple so definitely worth seeing if it makes any difference.

I wouldn't have thought MSI would go to the trouble of creating multiple Audio setups for their Z370 boards, not when they use the same Realtek ALC892 audio codec.
I will have to look at that later on to see if there is one for Gaming Pro. I looked at both of our boards and they are almost identical. Main difference I saw was you are using Realtek Ethernet and I have an Intel 1219. Seemed like most everything was the same.

Where do you get the text from the AppleALC.kext file? Is there an editor or an extractor to text?

Or just grabbing the source code? Doesn't look like my MSI is explicitly defined, but may be worth checking out. Not sure what it would buy me, but worth checking out.

All the codec information is available on the supported codec page, linked below. Just click the codec name and it takes you to the code, where you can see if any specific ID will work with your board.

All the codec information is available on the supported codec page, linked below. Just click the codec name and it takes you to the code, where you can see if any specific ID will work with your board.

Yeah I used that page to set my layout to 1 since it is the first mentioned for ALC892.
Ahhh, you can look at the contents by clicking on the Driver. Never clicked just read the table. Good to know. Thanks!

Why did you pick 100? Because your board was explicitly defined? Guess you have to dig deeper to see what each layout entails. Some of the earlier layouts have a description. Like Layout 1 is exactly like ours, minus the SPDIF output which our boards don't have.

Will have to try 100 and see if it changes anything. Let me son have the Windoze side last night to install some games and finally get some good frames per sec. That RX580 card is a decent card for the price I paid then. They have gone up a bit since I bought it.

That reminds me, I think you were on the other thread about the RX500 series cards and Vent. Can you use Metal3 with it on Vent?

Last edited:
Did you click on the ALC892 text, it is a hyperlink to the settings for the ALC892 codec. Each layout ID is defined on the page linked, in numeric order. Some are IDs are generic, such as layout-ids 1 and 3. Others are set for specific systems. Layout-id 100 is set for my MSI Z370-A Pro.

No, the RX580 only works with Metal2 in Ventura.

Prices are coming down, I bought a second hand Sapphire Pulse RX580 through an eBay auction for £127 a few weeks ago. RX580's seem to be selling for anywhere between £130 & £170, depending on how many people are interested in the specific card. As with any auction site you need to be sensible, set and stick to your price limit. As there are a lot of cards available and some people are still asking stupid money.

The Vega 56/64 & RX5000 series cards, which support Metal3, are holding up at around £220-£300 + postage. I have seen RX6000 series cards available for less than the Vega or RX5000 series cards!

Did you click on the ALC892 text, it is a hyperlink to the settings for the ALC892 codec. Each layout ID is defined on the page linked, in numeric order. Some are IDs are generic, such as layout-ids 1 and 3. Others are set for specific systems. Layout-id 100 is set for my MSI Z370-A Pro.

No, the RX580 only works with Metal2 in Ventura.

Prices are coming down, I bought a second hand Sapphire Pulse RX580 through an eBay auction for £127 a few weeks ago. RX580's seem to be selling for anywhere between £130 & £170, depending on how many people are interested in the specific card. As with any auction site you need to be sensible, set and stick to your price limit. As there are a lot of cards available and some people are still asking stupid money.

The Vega 56/64 & RX5000 series cards, which support Metal3, are holding up at around £220-£300 + postage. I have seen RX6000 series cards available for less than the Vega or RX5000 series cards!
Yeah that is what I meant I didn't realize you click on them, so I did open them up. Same contents that are in the source files zip file as well. But the contents there don't really show what each layout consists of, minus the few towards the top that people added the description. Be nice to see the underlying driver information that defines what each id consists of for that driver. But seeing that our audio looks to be identical sure the 100 would work as well.

Not sure what will be gained as everything is working, I just had my two speakers plugged into the wrong output for a couple years on the Catalina install and I just set the output to the lineout until sound worked. (guess I should have looked at the MB Manual a little closer. lol. Left it the same for the Monterey install and adjusted the output to the appropriate lineout I had. However, on Windows, I guess it sees each port for what it is, front , rear and center/woofer. So need to have I guess front plugged up if the others aren't being used. May have to work on a full surround setup in my office for games would be pretty cool.

Yeah I saw about the prices. I just checked the price of my RX580 and it is back to reality again. I bought it for like 199 in 2018. I looked last year for my son wanting to build out a gaming rig and I recommended the card since it was cheap, but when I checked then they were all like $400 and up for some second handers. but now he can use my desktop when I don't need it

Will have to see if it is worth going to Ventura from Monterey. Just started using Monterey, so happy I am good with my software for a bit. A couple of my audio tools stopped working once Monterey was released as they dropped Catalina support (Line 6 software).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back