Contribute
Register

MDD full ATX (another one

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you meant that they're quiet then I'm going to have to disagree a little bit.

they have always been low noise for me :O apart from in a SFF case.
ah!! you know what lets hack the big g4 cooler block up . gives me an exscuse to get the grinder out.

i have two types. One is the thin fins the other is the type with the rigid machined fins.
:think: i will have to have a good think about which i want to use.
DSC00716.jpgDSC00717.jpg

edit* ok i think i have it i will use the machined one i feel it is the better of the two to use here. after cutting it to shape to fit around the socket and capicitors i will make a shroud and have it connected to a induction pipe/tube that makes use of the old side intake and channels out the back above the IO shield.
thats the plan :confused: we will see how it goes lol

Looks great!
Those coolers are always quiet enough to me, but I'm not very fussy about noise:)
So your'e going to channel the heat from the side intake to the back of the case? sounds interesting:p
Sounds like it would work as long as the pipe is sealed somehow (maybe duct tape?:lol:)

not just duct tape. But silver duct tape!!!! hehe
no i will more than likely make it out of whatever metals i have laying about.

ok I've been in the garage hacking away at the cooler so it will fit I'm in the final stages now.
just needs tidying up and I'm going to put a mirror polish on the base. its okay so far

after cutting the standard mounts off and trimming the sides back to not protrude the fins
i had to cut away 3 sections of the base, 5 fins needed to be cut back from one corner for the system fan pins
And 3 fins needed to be cut back on the top corner to allow for the p4 board connection .
the 3 sections cut from the base were to allow room for the capictors that sit around the sockets edge

this is before any work was done i considered tying together the cooler with the graphics card by fixing it straight to the back. in the end i decided against it
DSC00725.jpg DSC00724.jpg
the cutting process
DSC00727.jpgDSC00732.jpgDSC00735.jpgDSC00751.jpg
after running up and down measuring and testing i finnaly got my proper fit . i still have not finnished cleaning it up in these shots but i was pretty excited to see it sitting in the board
DSC00737.jpgDSC00743.jpgDSC00744.jpgDSC00742.jpg

okay the heat sink is finnished . i two stage polished it this morning after prep work just down to 1200
DSC00752.jpgDSC00756.jpgDSC00757.jpgDSC00753.jpg

i re-did this process as i made 1 extra cut and some refinements .

DSC00768.jpgDSC00771.jpgDSC00774.jpgDSC00781.jpgDSC00783.jpg

got rid of the apple logos

DSC00794.jpgDSC00786.jpg
i thought i would need to secure the centre of the panel down and pull it back towards the case more now that i have cut away the retaining clips on the back of the logo but surprisingly it sits well where it is.

today i made the shroud/ surround for the heat sink
i searched through my scrap metal box but it was all just lumps of off cut rusty steel and nothing i could use. so i started hammering flat some food cans when i spotted the old surround for that asus psu i had previously salvaged the fan from .

the standard ATX psu case is almost a perfect fit for the big g4 heat sinks so i had a start.
first i cut away the necessary parts from the sides. it was a weird anodised brown colour i did not like so i took the anodising off and 3 stage polished up the zinc
Now i was back to scavenging for materials to make the exhaust for the shroud that will connect to the back panel above the IO shield .
I found a smashed A4 size piece of perspex. after making a paper template i realised i had just enough to make my part. So spent a hour or so forming it to shape using the vice and a couple of files

before anodising was removed
DSC00801.jpg
starting to form perspex
DSC00806.jpg
DSC00807.jpgDSC00812.jpgDSC00813.jpgDSC00814.jpgDSC00817.jpgDSC00818.jpgDSC00816.jpg
i would of prefered to use metal but i had this to use so :p ignore the blue marker pen its not finalised yet hehe. Next will be the induction pipe that attaches to the front of the shroud

****in **** of a motherboard has done a big fart. switched it off went away a few hours. came back and the tart ******* bandit piece of **** has died
sob is deader than elvis. been testing it all day with a battered dodgey multimeter.
- my motherboard broke

narrowed it down to the possibility of being one of the capacitors that seems a bit iffy you would not know it to look at it.
if i remember rite it is a 5ks12 560 6.3v . i am not sure thats all it is but i have ordered a diagnosis card that cost a few quid to try and locate the problem and fix it
the ****ing thing.......later realising even if i find the fault it is going to be a pain in the ****ing ass to fix as my soldering iron is 1- missing and 2-****. so before i can do anything at all i will have to try and fix the ****ing soldering iron :lol: - it may take a while

My knowledge on fixing motherboards is minimal. so it will slow me down a lot whilst i learn how to fix this **** head. even if the ****ing thing is something in the ic of the board i will scratch the **** off and ****ing fix it. capacitors and chips im confident i can swap in and out but i have never done either so it should be interesting. bollocks...... sorry for the obscenities kids

motherboard is still a work in progress i have not had to much time.

at this point the case looks nothing really like i would of liked it to. But i just have 0 money to finance materials. But hey hey luckily i am great at finding things :mrgreen: yesterday i found a can of red paint in a old dirty cupboard. On sniffing it i could of sworn it was celly already cut with thinners but after spraying it seems more like a enamel lol.
A serious crime took place with the painting here .. i sprayed the panels on the OUTSIDE:thumbdown: such a waste. On the uphand i do have some 2k lacquer i could spray on and buff after but its for a tank repair im not so sure i want to use it.
the back panel i need to cut the plastics for i left it to last being as i have to cut the exhaust for the cpu.
currently making a cradle and possibly cooling block for the hard drives. when they are done i will carry on with the cosmetics
DSC00861.jpgDSC00862.jpgDSC00865.jpgDSC00869.jpgDSC00878.jpgDSC00881.jpgDSC00882.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back