Contribute
Register

Mavericks & Windows 8 on same drive without erasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I complish the installation of Sierra and Windows 10. I install the clover(clover is in efi) but still boot Windows automatically (No clover shows). It seems that Windows has set itself as the active UEFI bootloader.
I rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi but doesn't work.
Thanks for you help.

For problems with notebooks/laptops please post in the Laptop forum for best help.

It is definitely something that it doesn't like about the EFI partition. I was able to partition in Windows but had to use diskpart at the command line before running the Windows installer.

The process went like this:
- boot Windows installer USB
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt
- type: diskpart
- type: list disk (to you're certain on the disk you're working with, in my case confirms disk 0)
- type: select disk 0
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does :)
- type: convert gpt
- type: create partition efi size=200
- type: format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
- type: create partition msr size=128
- type: exit
- type: exit

Now you can continue with the Windows Installer, and install to unallocated space (via Custom).

If you go into Disk Utility after installing Windows with this setup, you'll find it likes the EFI setup.

Obviously, the above doesn't help someone with a similar setup from an OEM, but it does allow a fresh install of Windows UEFI first.

Next up: Determine if there is a way to fix the broken situation after a default fresh install... Stay tuned...

Hi, i have to install first windows 7 64b for future dual boot. Is it necesary, following Rehabman instructions, to create with diskpart the msr partition besides EFI partition? If i dont, will windows create itself upon installation and i will have to delete afterwards? Or it will fail the installation?
If i use gparted to format (instead of using diskpart with windows installer) gpt the drive and make the necesary partitions, EFI (200mb) and ntfs for windows and leave unallocated partition for future osx install, it will be pure gpt or hybrid? Will it work?
If i use osx disk tool and format the drive gpt it will create EFI partition in same step or i will have to create manually after?
I am looking for the best/safest path!
Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, i have to install first windows 7 64b for future dual boot. Is it necesary, following Rehabman instructions, to create with diskpart the msr partition besides EFI partition? If i dont, will windows create itself upon installation and i will have to delete afterwards? Or it will fail the installation?
If i use gparted to format (instead of using diskpart with windows installer) gpt the drive and make the necesary partitions, EFI (200mb) and ntfs for windows and leave unallocated partition for future osx install, it will be pure gpt or hybrid? Will it work?
If i use osx disk tool and format the drive gpt it will create EFI partition in same step or i will have to create manually after?
I am looking for the best/safest path!
Thanks!!!!

If you are starting from scratch, do all partitioning in Disk Utility (macOS/OS X), use only HFS+ partitions there, then format the target partition to NTFS within the Windows installer.

If you are starting from scratch, do all partitioning in Disk Utility (macOS/OS X), use only HFS+ partitions there, then format the target partition to NTFS within the Windows installer.

thanks!
Do i have to create manually the EFI partition with disk utility or it is created by disk utility when formar GPT?

:ch:Hey , I tried to dual boot my system (installing high serrira along side windows 10).
I shrunk down my C drive 120Gigs to NTFS (gave it an T) booted up from usb installtion key installed MacOSx in my T: parttion.
After that i booted clover from my T drive.
Now i want to ask where should i install clover on my C: drive or on my T: drive
Also is there any known issues using clover for dual booting ?
Sorry guys I this is my first time trying hackintosh

:ch:Hey , I tried to dual boot my system (installing high serrira along side windows 10).
I shrunk down my C drive 120Gigs to NTFS (gave it an T) booted up from usb installtion key installed MacOSx in my T: parttion.
After that i booted clover from my T drive.
Now i want to ask where should i install clover on my C: drive or on my T: drive
Also is there any known issues using clover for dual booting ?
Sorry guys I this is my first time trying hackintosh
Clover should be installed in the EFI partition of the HDD/SSD - not on the C or T partitions of the drive. With an existing Windows installation, look at the physical size of the EFI partition - if less than 200MB, it will not work. You will need to do some work to consolidate partitions or re-install Windows.

Clover should be installed in the EFI partition of the HDD/SSD - not on the C or T partitions of the drive. With an existing Windows installation, look at the physical size of the EFI partition - if less than 200MB, it will not work. You will need to do some work to consolidate partitions or re-install Windows.
so, I checked and I have the EFI partition with 260MB so i switched to OSx to intall clover and the EFI partition is not there there is only 3 options on my case: T: Partition (where i installed my OSX) C: partition (Windows drive) and a D drive (for my laptop recovery) I checked disk utility and the EFI partition was not mounted i tried to mount it nothing happens :/

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    108.1 KB · Views: 203
so, I checked and I have the EFI partition with 260MB so i switched to OSx to intall clover and the EFI partition is not there there is only 3 options on my case: T: Partition (where i installed my OSX) C: partition (Windows drive) and a D drive (for my laptop recovery) I checked disk utility and the EFI partition was not mounted i tried to mount it nothing happens :/
Try with EFI mounter V3 from the forum downloads - https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/community-software.10/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back