Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
WORK IN PROGRESS:

We proceed:

- If you plan an upgrade make sure you have a bootable backup of your operating system.
For cloning you can use Carbon Copy Cloner. While the new version is no longer free, you can use the penultimate (the 3.4.7) that, apparently, works well too for a complete and bootable clone, including the Recovery Partition. (Download here)

- Tools you need:

- Bios settings and screenshots: (Download here)
- P5K-E WiFi AP DSDT patches (Download here)
- Marvell88E8056.kext: (Download here)
- Extra folder content (Download here)
- Chameleon BootLoader (Download here) (registration is required)
- MacIasl: (Download here)
- Kext Wizard: (Download here)
- Chameleon wizard (Download here)
- Multibeast (You know where you find it)
- HdaWizard with AD1988b related files (Download here)
- Latest FakeSMC and HWMonitor (Download here)
- Hide unHide hidden files (Download here)
- If you plan to install a PCI USB 3.0 Card then you need "GenericUSBXHCI.kext" and "xhcdump": (Download here)
- Whether you are doing an upgrade, whether you're doing a clean install, make sure you have all the files available on the desktop. Do not work from USB Sticks / HDD.

Note 1:
- If you are doing a clean install simply follow the guide.
- If you plan an upgrade I suggest to perform "Step 1" and "Step 2" before attempting to install Mavericks. (You must have at least SL 10.6.8 installed to perform an upgrade)

Step 1 - Bios Settings

- Log in to bios, load the default settings and set it according to the description found in "Bios settings and screenshots".

- It is mandatory to set SATA as AHCI and "Max CPUID Value Limit [Disabled]", the rest according to your hardware.

- Disable the Floppy disk (if you don't have one) and the onboard wifi (There is no way to make it work).

- If you have any PATA/IDE devices, you must enable "J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller" and for having it working you have to install these kext (Download here)

- Set the HDD priority at your convenience

- If you have a working installation of OsX, take note of the changes you make, so you are able to return to the previous configuration if there are problems.

Note 2:

- If the system hangs on boot, try typing the following commands at the Chimera or Chameleon boot prompt: "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" "PCIRootUID=0"(No quotes) one at a time. If still not working try combine them. (Credits to Kraft2k that reminded me this issue))

- Other usefull commands are "-x" (Safe mode: will load only essentials kext avoiding Kernel Panic) and "-v" (Verbose mode: is an option that provides additional details as to what the computer is doing and what drivers and software it is loading during startup)

Step 2 - Configuration

- Booting with "DSDT=Null" (Not necessary if you are doing a clean install) and copy the stuff you have downloaded on the desktop.

- Open up MacIASL and in "Preferences / iasl" mark ACPI 4.0; close and reopen the application, "save as" your clean DSDT as "Disassembled ASL file" and put a copy in a safe place.

- Close and reopen MaciASL, click "Patch", then "Open" and point to the folder where the patches are stored, select "01 - P5K-E WiFi AP Patches.txt", click "Apply" and, when finished, click "Close".

- Now "Compile" to control that there are no errors (At this point, if you have a graphics card with HDMI audio, repeat the procedure selecting the second patch "02 - P5K HDMI Audio Patch.txt").

- Finally "Save as" "ACPI Machine Language Binary" "DSDT.aml" on the desktop.

- Replace the Extra folder with the one you have downloaded and drag the patched "DSDT.aml" in it.(If you have no Extra folder simply copy the one you have in the root of your HDD).

Step 3 - Optimization

- Use "Hide unHide" to show hidden files, If you need it.

- Open up the HWSensor package to install FakeSMC.kext. As default the package will install only HWMonitor (Check it out). If you want to install only "FakeSMC", you have to chose "Ad hoc" installation (Check it out) and flag only this option (Check it out), otherwise flag all option and install.(Check it out)
When finished put a copy of that file and of "AppleHDA.kext" and "AppleRTC.kext", from System/Library/Extensions, in a folder on the desktop. Now in "FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins" copy the "Marvell88E8056.kext". (If there is not create the Plugins folder). When you have finished put these files in a safe place.

- Open Multibeast, go to the "Driver / System and choose "AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset"and click Build.

- Unzip "P5K-E ADI1988b Audio" on the desktop, open up "HDAWizard" and load the needed files, (take a cue from the attached picture) and click patch.

- Open up "KextWizard", drag in the window the patched "Fakesmc.kext" (If you have a PATA/IDE and/or eSATA Devices add "LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext and JMicron36xATA.kext") and, if you have a USB 3.0 card installed, add "GenericUSBXHCI.kext" and copy "xhcdump" in /usr/local/bin). Install in "System/Library/Extension". Repair permission and rebuild cache for "System/Library/Extension" (always with "KextWizard" ).

- Open up Chameleon Wizard, select the "org.chameleon.Boot" Tab and set it accordingly with your specs and needs (Monitor resolution, kernel flags etc...).
Now select the "SMBios" Tab, click "Edit", it will open your current configuration. Control if it is set for MacPro 3,1 and take note of your serial. If everything is in order quit without saving, otherwise build a new one for MacPro 3,1: if you want to keep your old serial number change it with the old one. If you want generate a new serial, change "Week of manufacture" and "Unique number" clicking multiple times on casual and save it. It is important to have a unique serial especially for FaceTime, Message and iCloud.
Select the "Modules" Tab, flag "FileNVRAM.dylib" and "Keylayout.dylib" and install it.

- Install the Chameleon bootloader and reboot.
You should have a full working Mavericks in your hack.

Note 3:
Regarding software update, I suggest to perform it by downloading the "Combo Update".
After the update check if audio is working; if necessary, repeat the procedure with "HDAWizard"

Credits to:
- Toleda for "HDMI Audio", oldnapalm for "P5K-E WiFi AP patches", Mirone for "AD1988b" files for AppleHDA, zenith432 for "GenericUSBXHCI", janek202 for "HDAWizard" and Kozlek for "HWMonitor" and "FakeSMC".

How to update the BIOS using EZ-Flash2:

Download P5K-E/WiFi-AP BIOS 1202 or P5K-E/WiFi-AP BIOS 1305 (I'm on 1202)
Unzip the file and save the BIOS file to the root of a USB stick formatted FAT32 and plugged into a one of the rear USB port (The front port are not so good), then restart the system.
Enter bios and load defaults, save and exit. Re-Enter BIOS setup program. Go to the Tools menu to select EZ Flash2 and press <Enter> to enable it.
You can switch between drives by pressing <Tab> before the correct file is found. Then press <Enter>.
When the correct BIOS file is found, EZ Flash 2 performs the BIOS update process and automatically reboots the system when done.

- Edit 1:
- Performed the 10.9.2 update. Procedure: repair permissions, download and launch the 10.9.2 Combo Update and wait for reboot, that's all. All is working fine.

- Edit 2:
- Performed the 10.9.3 update. Same procedure as for 10.9.2. All is working fine.

- Edit 3:
- Performed the 10.9.5 update. This time you have to repatch AppleRTC with Multibeast and AppleHDA with HDAWizard. (Should happen a bios reset after the first reboot you have to reload the settings and remember to patch AppleRTC)
Made some changes and improvements on DSDT and AD1988B so, for those with the old DSDT, you must change the layoutid in HDEF section from 1 to 7. Alternatively you can also patch a clean DSDT with the updated patches.

Flicka,
First of all let me thank you for the very informitive guide.I have the same mothorboard setup and was able to get 10.9 working on it. I applied your files to a distro (at the moment all i have) and everything workd except hdmi audio I am running a PNY Gforce 210. also i have to boot in safe mode otherwise the screen freezes. any ideas? I have applied your dstd fixes to a 10.10 install and have everything but sound and the same freezing. I assume that the dsdt needs a different patch for the 210 graphics card? the 10.9 boots with clover.

Well done flicka, this guide is very good and onboard audio is finally working for me :).

However I have 2 question to ask you about audio:
1) Front audio is not working for me. It's a standard behavior or did I miss something?
2) mmcmanus was able to install Yosemite with this guide but audio is not working at all. Is there any update about this?

Thank you.

Numero,
As of now nothing with the Yosemite. I put it aside to work on the mavericks. and in doing so wipped out all audio on it. will replace the applehda and try a repatch.

Flicka,
First of all let me thank you for the very informitive guide.I have the same mothorboard setup and was able to get 10.9 working on it. I applied your files to a distro (at the moment all i have) and everything workd except hdmi audio I am running a PNY Gforce 210. also i have to boot in safe mode otherwise the screen freezes. any ideas? I have applied your dstd fixes to a 10.10 install and have everything but sound and the same freezing. I assume that the dsdt needs a different patch for the 210 graphics card? the 10.9 boots with clover.

For HDMI audio you have to apply both patches at your DSDT. It is working with a nvidia 650ti. I have no hdmi but a friend of mine is running mavericks with working hdmi audio with this Graphics card. I've tried clover too and it is working fine both in mavericks and yosemite, can you post your config.plist?

Well done flicka, this guide is very good and onboard audio is finally working for me :).

However I have 2 question to ask you about audio:
1) Front audio is not working for me. It's a standard behavior or did I miss something?
2) mmcmanus was able to install Yosemite with this guide but audio is not working at all. Is there any update about this?

Thank you.

1) Front audio is always been an issue for me too. I think that it is related on the front panel build in the case, because on the same build of a friend of mine it is working. Have you tried different settings in your bios?
2) I've working audio in yosemite, patching the original AppleHDA. At first I thought too that it did not work, but then I relized that you have to reconfigure it manually, selecting the right output. If you are used to control if it is working hitting the volume key, you must enable the feature in system preferences / sound / sound effects, or you hear nothing.

@marcmacx we continue here

You wrote (here)

I did the suggestions you recommended:

1. Start with DSDT=Null and created virgin and patched HDMI audio DSDT.aml (compiled with 0 error), but the warring message ("Errors encountered while starting up the computer." "Pausing 5 seconds...") still existed. Somehow, the PC can still boot into Mac and use without problem. It seems the updated DSDT.aml may not the root of the problem.

2. I guess the BIOS setting, however, I need to try and error. Any hints?

3. Does the recommended, updated patches for 10.9.5 are download from here?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/143208-mavericks-p5k-e-wifi.html

4. Now the Mac is 10.9.4 without AppleHDA with HDAWizard updated, together with the updated patched DSDT. What if I update to 10.9.5, can you verify the steps for me:
1. Run 10.9.5 combo update
2. Repatch AppleRTC with Multibeast
3. Repatch AppleHDA with HDAWizard
4. Repair permission and cache
5. Reboot.

For "Errors encountered while starting up the computer." "Pausing 5 seconds..." control com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/. It should be something so
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>
Let me Know

Your org.chameleon and smbios looks fine.

Sorry Flicka i have been away for a while i will post the config and my dsdt shortly. I am basicly booting safe mode to stop freeze and now have no sound may try a complete reinstall when time permits. i use this machine for graphic design work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back