Contribute
Register

Mavericks and El Capitan on the same drive?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
I5-2500K
Graphics
GTX 560 Ti
Hey there!
I'm currently running Mavericks on a 2 TB hard drive. On this hard drive there are two partitions. The first one is used for Mavericks and the second one (Mac OS Extended Journaled) is still free. My question: Is is possible to install El Capitan on the empty partition without running into the risk of losing all the stuff on the Mavericks partition?

I hope I could get the point across....
Thanks in advance :)

Hey there!
I'm currently running Mavericks on a 2 TB hard drive. On this hard drive there are two partitions. The first one is used for Mavericks and the second one (Mac OS Extended Journaled) is still free. My question: Is is possible to install El Capitan on the empty partition without running into the risk of losing all the stuff on the Mavericks partition?

I hope I could get the point across....
Thanks in advance :)
Yes, you can install ElCap on the 2nd partition without touching the Mavericks partition if you are careful.
Do not select the Mavericks partition to install ElCap or you will lose it:lol:

If you are booting Mavericks with Chimera you will have to switch to Clover if you want to dual boot these.

Sorry to piggy back. Is there anything I need to look out for if the first OSX install is already running under Clover EFI?

I am in a similar situation as above. I currently have a SSD with Yosemite and a 2nd SSD with Windows 10 successfully dual booting via Clover. I would like to install El Cap on a second partition on the same SSD as Yosemite. I would assume no issues with Windows, as I'll simply unplug that drive during the install. My concern though is looking through the forums regarding the new install with El Cap and several reports of being unable to boot other installs, most of which seem to center around the EFI being modified during the install. I'm not sure if these can be attributed to bad installs or not. I had also read of many issues with installing/dual booting Windows, but I found it as simply as unplug the mac HD, install windows on ssd#2, then plug the 1st ssd back in.

Thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back