Contribute
Register

Mavericks 10.9.1 Freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same problem. It appears tied to iTunes and (maybe) the network. I could reliably repeat a freeze when trying to download the free version of the Hugo movie from the iTune Store. The lock would occur immediately when I clicked on the "Free" button. Fortunately, I could download the SD version!!! There are no messages in Console, just a straight lock. The only other time it happened was when playing some music over Airplay.

I also updated my router, so there is a possibility that plays into it as well, although it seems unlikely.

I experienced a few freezes on my Z87X system when I was initially setting it up.

It happened mostly under no load, sometimes idling.

In my case, I think it was an instability due to memory. I was running 1.5V at 1600MHz, when the specs call for 1.65V (Kingston Hyper-X Blu 4GB).

After that, haven't had a freeze, even after heavy load or idling, or waking up from sleep.

So, I'm still experiencing it. If it matters to anyone when i installed it. i used the regular mavericks .app thing from the app store and used unibeast or whatever its called.

I have those damn freezes too... May some sort of Apple copy protection or DRM cause the freezes?
Maybe some special DRM - chip missing in our hacks?

When iw work with Movies from the iTunes Store my machine mostly freezes up... no matter how long it ran. Last time i had an uptime of over 2 weeks. Then tried to move an Apple Movie it froze.

Anyways - I will try the RAM voltage thingy - maybe that helps.

Keep your thumbs pressed!

Greets Kellni

* Update

Changing RAM settings doesnt change a thing... :(

Komplete freeze when i try to add an iTunes - Store Movie to iTunes Movie section.
Rest of the Machine runs rock-solid. Like a charm.

Nothing in Console. Simply stops to work from one second to another.. :(

Can someone please try this too with his Hack?

Thanks in advance
Kellni

I've had my fair share of said freezes so far....

Some of them, were caused by the wired network. Updated the firmware of the router and this hasn't been an issue since. Usually you can tell when it's caused by the router, because everything else connected to the router gets disconnected from the internet, until the OS X gets restarted.

Appart from the router caused freezes, I still get a few random freezes when watching movies using either iTunes, VLC, html5, flash. The logs don't give me any info on these freezes, so I'm not entirely sure what causes them.

Since the problem seemed video related, I removed Perian and Flip4Mac. That did nothing to solve the freezing problem, which I can readily replicate with certain iTunes store videos. I did some more web sleuthing and tracked down a suggestion that the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext might be the problem. I removed that file from SLE and it seemed to solve the freezing issue. The downside is that HD content doesn't seem to play - but at least no freeze when I hit it!

I'll be fiddling around some more on this, but in the meantime, I figured I would provide an update and avenue for more investigation for the rest of you with similar problems.

Yepp that did it... my guess that it was something DRM-related was right...

Like you wrote - iTunes doesnt play bought HD movs anymore - but now that my Schorsch is only the server for my movs it is wayne... :)

Thanks for the Tip!

Greets
Kellni

Since I removed dropbox and Bitt*****t, it seems to be fixed. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced this random freezing too in Mavericks. It usually occurs 20 seconds or so after login. I've noticed when this happens iTunes is always on. When I tried to buy a free HD movie from itunes it froze when I pressed FREE. Occasionally the freezing also occurs when doing some photo editing or something else. I've been fidling with this problem too. Tried to test ram, which was fine, turn on/off XMP, disabling C6/7 states. Nothing works.. I really hope someone can narrow down the problem soon..

Similar situation, my system freezes as soon as iTunes finishes downloading a movie. None of the aforementioned fixes seem to work though :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back