Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually you'd have to mess up the whole BIOS to disable pre OS graphics. Disabling only the UEFI/GOP part will make your UEFI fall back to CSM, which introduces the same issues (at least on my mainboard).

But yes, it's one of the methods to make Polaris GPUs work.

It works really well on my z170 gaming 5. Dual screen works without issue, as well as sleep etc.
480.jpeg

My card has dual bios (480 red devil), so if I need to access clover boot options etc. I just switch the bios switch over to the default bios.
Works fine to restore from time machine etc.

Last edited:
Thx @Gigamaxx i compared and merged both plists and it works perfectly after reboot.
XMP correction is nice. System Profiler shows 2666 RAM.
As i renamed the boot disk i changed the boot volume to "last booted volume" in Clover configurator which also works as expected.
Yes the 530HD iGPU has metal support from the very first day. Somewhere i red to add "max mem" to the iGPU in BIOS settings. Thats why it shows 1536MB instead of 64MB RAM. Should i lower this since it eats Physical Memory?

I noticed a slight speed bump with this plist now over 658 Points in Geekbench in OpenCL tests with the RX480.

Can you tell me if th backup strategy is compatible with Hackintoshs?
In past i run Superduper, making an image files (dmg) as a Backup of the system disk.
When i had to restore it i booted the system with a USB drive -> install disk and then started Disk Utility and choosed the last tab "restore". I set the source + destination and roll the image back on the physical disk or SSD drive -> restart -> done.

Does this strategy still works with Hackintoshs, i.e. Sierra right now? I really liked to store images.

Yesterday i made a readonly System image with Superduper. Futhermore i copied the complete EFI tree and compressed it. I put both files onto another disk plus i copied the config.plist sperately.

I'm assuming you are not using nvme SSD's.

What I do is backup with Time machine to separate drive.
If I need to restore the OS, via clover I boot from my boot drive to the recovery partition. Select my time machine backup date/time. Click restore. Time machine wipes drive (without deleting the EFI partition) and restores it. I then boot as normal.

Theoretically, if I were to update now to 10.12.4, how would I have to change those?? Do they still work/matter?

Code:
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change_init_from_BAFFIN_to_ELLESMERE-(C)_by_Fl0r!an_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                6EmF/v++SAEAAEyJ9w==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMDRadeonX4100</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                6EbkAAC+SAEAAEyJ9w==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>PP_DisablePowerContainment=1</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                UEd0bGVUNVFVRjlFYVhOaFlteGxVRzkzWlhKRGIyNTBZ
                V2x1YldWdWREd3ZhMlY1UGp4cGJuUmxaMlZ5UGpBOEwy
                bHVkR1ZuWlhJKw==
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMD9500Controller</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                UEd0bGVUNVFVRjlFYVhOaFlteGxVRzkzWlhKRGIyNTBZ
                V2x1YldWdWREd3ZhMlY1UGp4cGJuUmxaMlZ5UGpFOEwy
                bHVkR1ZuWlhJKw==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Remove_CU_limit_of_RX4x0-(C)_by_okrasit_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                D0LIiYuAAAAARIizmQAAAESIcyA=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                kJCQiYuAAAAARIizmQAAAESIcyA=
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change_#_of_RX4x0_CUs-(C)_by_okrasit_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                SLgCAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wIAAAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SLgEAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wSAAAA
                </data>
            </dict>
</array>

When I did it manually, the Baffin to ellesmere values could not be found. The other 2 worked though.
Luxmark 17000.png Geekbench 12.4.png

If I need to restore the OS, via clover I boot from my boot drive to the recovery partition. Select my time machine backup date/time. Click restore. Time machine wipes drive (without deleting the EFI partition) and restores it. I then boot as normal.

@rhys216:
Would you please be so kind to upload your modified and original VBIOS.
Would like to see differences and try to patch my SAPPHIRE BIOS like your modfied one.

Thx. in advance...

I don't have the bioses on my computer atm, because I used my brothers windows machine to do the flashing and editing of the bios. I won't be able to get a copy for a few days, however below is the instructions I was given. You don't need to change very much at all in the Hex editor.

"Hi Rhys,

Open in a hex editor, and edit the PCI ID in two places, like in Okrasit's post. http://www.insanelym...-2#entry2333976

With the RX 480 the ID is 67DF, so you want to search for DF67, as it gets swapped around. Look for the two occurrences of DF67 that look similar to the ones in Okrasit's post - one is the start of the GOP/UEFI part, one of the legacy BIOS part. Replace DF67 with some other string in both places. Immediately before DF67 should be 0210 in both places, as the full pci id is 1002:67DF. (I only replaced it in those two places. In my card's BIOS it found DF67 one or two more times in other places, but I left those as they were. I don't know if it makes a difference to be honest, but this way worked for me.)

3) Flash the modified BIOS back to the card. AT YOUR OWN RISK! Really really only do this with a dual bios card. For me the modified BIOS bricks the card in Windows, so there is no easy way to flash it back to a working one! IIRC I had to do this in the atiflash.exe CLI version, not winflash, by the way. Something like "AtiFlash.exe -p 0 -f modified_bios.rom" did the trick."

A few things were different for me. (below my reply after the edit)

"I just edited my BIOS and it worked, although oddly there was only one instance of DF67.

Winflash said there was a checksum error and wouldn't flash in windows. So I opened the bios in polaris editor and re-saved it. Then I was able to use winflash to flash the edited bios.

Then I restarted windows and the GPU worked in windows. So maybe the reason windows didn't work for you is maybe a checksum error. (although I was using a x58 Mobo)

All seems to be working well so far and I can now completely disable the igpu, and switch to alternative bios if I need to see the bootscreen.

I actually prefer not seeing the bios/gigabyte logo during boot."

Thx @Gigamaxx i compared and merged both plists and it works perfectly after reboot.
XMP correction is nice. System Profiler shows 2666 RAM.
As i renamed the boot disk i changed the boot volume to "last booted volume" in Clover configurator which also works as expected.
Yes the 530HD iGPU has metal support from the very first day. Somewhere i red to add "max mem" to the iGPU in BIOS settings. Thats why it shows 1536MB instead of 64MB RAM. Should i lower this since it eats Physical Memory?

I noticed a slight speed bump with this plist now over 658 Points in Geekbench in OpenCL tests with the RX480.

Can you tell me if th backup strategy is compatible with Hackintoshs?
In past i run Superduper, making an image files (dmg) as a Backup of the system disk.
When i had to restore it i booted the system with a USB drive -> install disk and then started Disk Utility and choosed the last tab "restore". I set the source + destination and roll the image back on the physical disk or SSD drive -> restart -> done.

Does this strategy still works with Hackintoshs, i.e. Sierra right now? I really liked to store images.

Yesterday i made a readonly System image with Superduper. Futhermore i copied the complete EFI tree and compressed it. I put both files onto another disk plus i copied the config.plist sperately.

I'm glad it worked out, its nice to have everything working correctly.

The 1536mb is good, since we have to use integrated graphics its best to have that as powerful as possible. It brings up benchmark scores especially in openGL format. I have 2 settings for IGFX in Chipset min allocated 64mb, and the max allocated @ MAX setting, sounds like you have it set correctly. The Ram that is used is for a good cause so I wouldn't worry too much about physical memory loss because the performance gain outweighs it, at least for graphics usage.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my duplicating needs, and then I run a fresh instal of the latest clover for EFI partition, then add or make a new config.plist. But I tend to burn through test disks and either corrupt the OS or EFI partition so I just hook up remotely to the disk and select users, grab any files or data I need and then start over. Rhys216 has a good method if you are limited only one or two disks and can't afford a reinstall.

@wildwillow @Gigamaxx ... here are the pictures. Nice to look at, but 6880x1440 double curved is IMHO too much.
Two units "non curved" would also be too much for me. One 34" with 3440x1440 21:9 curved is just fine for me ;)
Thank you,
They do look huge together, imagine if they were 4k you'd never find the cursor. You did yourself proud, I was so excited to see these monsters side by side. They do look superb. Thanks for posting. You should add your pictures to this thread -> What Monitor or Display Do You Use? | tonymacx86.com :clap:

Could you post your Cofnig.plist for RX480?? Do I have to change the kext names?? Also, which do I disable? "Change_init_from_BAFFIN_to_ELLESMERE" and "PP_DisablePowerContainment=1"??
Could you post your Cofnig.plist for RX480?? Do I have to change the kext names?? Also, which do I disable? "Change_init_from_BAFFIN_to_ELLESMERE" and "PP_DisablePowerContainment=1"??

I don't use any fake ID for the RX 480 or EDID either, I only use fake ID for SKL cRB Intel 0x19120003, and ig. 0x0a206080 and I get 'natural" or vanilla metal support. I've found that when I try to use HD 530 graphics fixes it slows my system down a bit even if I try to remove them I have trouble getting the SKL CRB working.again I usually reload clover boot loader after removing config.plist from EFI folder and EFI backup folder on main partition. It gives me a new MacBook 1.1 definition with all the additives so I make a few settings in clover screen and then boot ( like a first time instal on unibeast or clover). Once in I change my config.plist by using Clover Configurator and then paste my old serial number, UUID and MLB numbers in the new clover and then adjust out any other non essentials. This last config.plist I left all the Clover new way and old way settings (ACPI) in there ( normally I swap out for my old plist) and I have sound on the RX 480. I put an old config.plist in there and it didn't get sound even whenI selected fix sound and HDMI.

.My config.plist I try to keep very simple, no inject ATI, no Inject Intel, no kext patches for graphics. All I did was add 0x67DF1002 in the new AMD9510Contro9llerKext "info.plist", and then added 0x67DF1002 to the AMD4100Kext info.plist then ran KextWizzard to repair permissions and clear caches. Then I did the Fury card all cores mod by copy and pasting from FlOr!an's post on page 1 of the Fury card thread. The Baffin to Ellesmere did not locate so I didn't replace it. The other disable power containment mod set my card fan into a tizzy and dropped my benchmarks (black screen).

So you are 100% correct don't do the Baffin to Ellesmere, or the disable power containment and everything should be good in Sierra 12.4.

config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 336
@wildwillow @Gigamaxx ... here are the pictures. Nice to look at, but 6880x1440 double curved is IMHO too much.
Two units "non curved" would also be too much for me. One 34" with 3440x1440 21:9 curved is just fine for me ;)

Btw. my desk is 1,70 meters :D

I better not let my 11 yr old son see this! Very nice setup, or two? I am contemplating a new 4k monitor but the Vega 10 card is my next big purchase then I'll need a 4K for sure. In the meantime, a Kaby Lake z270 board for the i5 7600k. It was too buggy for my z170 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back