Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here use a board withOUT onboard graphics? I continue to fail trying to use a native radeon card that works, like hd4650 and 5750, but as soon as my rx480 goes in as the 2nd card, I can't boot. I've tried each different slot, I've tried each different video output ie, 2x dp,hdmi, dvi-d, and no go. I cannot figure if it's some bios tweak or what, although I've tried them all too, csm enable, no csm, eist enable, no eist,and a myriad of others bios changes. I also am having to use clover 3974 with the two patches to boot 10.12.4 w/kext , because 3994 won't work for me, won't boot up at all. I feel really dumb with all you guys successes. The closest I got was with the hd4650 in slot 1 with acceleration, and a garbled patterned screen from the rx480's dvi-d output onto a separate monitor, the rest of the inputs I couldn't even boot.
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 13.17.23.png
UPD 20170202:
Only for 10.12.1–10.12.3

Put kexts into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/legacy, or elsewhere, but don't forget to change path in code below:
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ForceKextsToLoad</key>
        <array>
            <string>\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\legacy</string>
        </array>
        <key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAAAEAAAAcQAAEgQEAgQAAAAUAAAAAHEAAAESAQQA
                AgAAFAAAAABxAAAAAAYDAAgAAAACAAAAcQAAIgUFAQ==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMD5000Controller</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                BAAAABQAAAAAcQAAEAAGAwQAAAAUAAAAAHEAABECAgQA
                CAAAAAIAAABxAAAiBQUBAAQAAAAEAAAAcQAAEgQEAg==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change_init_from_BAFFIN_to_ELLESMERE-(C)_by_Fl0r!an_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                6EmF/v++SAEAAEyJ9w==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMDRadeonX4100</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                6EbkAAC+SAEAAEyJ9w==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change_#_of_RX4x0_CUs-(C)_by_okrasit_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                SLgCAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wIAAAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SLgEAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wSAAAA
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Remove_CU_limit_of_RX4x0-(C)_by_okrasit_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                D0LIiYuAAAAARIizmQAAAESIcyA=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                kJCQiYuAAAAARIizmQAAAESIcyA=
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 13.25.05.png Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 00.36.39.png

Attachments

• LegacyHD5750.kext.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 100
  • LegacyRX480.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
View attachment 233568
Not tested in 10.12.4beta!

Put kexts into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/legacy, or elsewhere, but don't forget change path in code below:
Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ForceKextsToLoad</key>
        <array>
            <string>\EFI\CLOVER\kexts\legacy</string>
        </array>
        <key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAAAEAAAAcQAAEgQEAgQAAAAUAAAAAHEAAAESAQQA
                AgAAFAAAAABxAAAAAAYDAAgAAAACAAAAcQAAIgUFAQ==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMD5000Controller</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                BAAAABQAAAAAcQAAEAAGAwQAAAAUAAAAAHEAABECAgQA
                CAAAAAIAAABxAAAiBQUBAAQAAAAEAAAAcQAAEgQEAg==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change_init_from_BAFFIN_to_ELLESMERE-(C)_by_Fl0r!an_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                6EmF/v++SAEAAEyJ9w==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                6EbkAAC+SAEAAEyJ9w==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change_#_of_RX4x0_CUs-(C)_by_okrasit_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                SLgCAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wIAAAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SLgEAAAAAQAAAEiJQ1THQ3wSAAAA
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Remove_CU_limit_of_RX4x0-(C)_by_okrasit_2016</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                D0LIiYuAAAAARIizmQAAAESIcyA=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                kJCQiYuAAAAARIizmQAAAESIcyA=
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>
View attachment 233570 View attachment 233571
Thanks Ur-Quan and xojiostou, I'll give it a shot and let you know. I did try those edits before, I didn't put my kexts in efi though.Thanks again
Sorry it was a no go. I tried for hours again. The only clue I have is that in graphics section of sierra's system report, it says the rx480 is in a 1X slot. All I can figure is that my mb (asus x99 pro usb 3.1) changes the slots according to the CPU lanes. My cpu is a 6800k, which is 28 lanes. this should change the slot 2 to 8 lanes and 8 lanes works, but for some reason it makes the 2nd pcie slot I can use 1X, which the manual says can be changed to 4X. This I read later. I don't think the rx480 is gonna work on 4X. I might give it a last try again. It's a 4 slot motherboard, so 1x16 slot and 3x4 slots for xfire, though there isn't enough room for double wide cards, so whats the point of making 4 xfire slots? Have to hope they make rx480 a native card in a future release...
Spent a lot of the day trying again. I found out a few tidbits about others experiences, and it looks like I have a few other things to still try, BUT I'm going to take a bit of advice from @Gigamaxx . I'm re-installing and starting fresh instead of starting my install with the rx480. I think the too many fixes on a old install is contributing to my failures, as many say this WILL work, and I believe you ALL! Thanks for your patience, I'll get back

Last edited:
Sweet :D
This works!
Even my monitor has a blue backlight glow right now. The RGB mode does the trick!

(just kidding, i bought a very cool remote LED bar which can change the colors for lower stress to your eyes on Amazon for 10€)

Thanks @jerryy2345 @Gigamaxx ;) I think we configured a really nice and functional system. I wouldn't have made that far in short time without your impressive help. I'm really happy right now because it shows that my believes into this project buying exclusive components, building a complete new system, a monitor for ~2600€ was a great idea. You get so much more for this investment than just buying an iMac that costs the same.

Last thing i have to fix is adding sound via DP to the monitor. Hopefully without any FCPX or Premiere crashes like reported before. Then i'll start to fill the system to become more productive and get a bit deeper into an image backup scenario with this Hackintosh.

You should show that off on ******, very impressive pics and thank you for sharing these.

Sweet :D
This works!
Even my monitor has a blue backlight glow right now. The RGB mode does the trick!

Last thing i have to fix is adding sound via DP to the monitor. Hopefully without any FCPX or Premiere crashes like reported before. Then i'll start to fill the system to become more productive and get a bit deeper into an image backup scenario with this Hackintosh.

Glad to hear it is working. I wish there was good new about audio via DP, but that one is a work in progress.

If you have some time, look up Kodi.tv and Boblight. Your ambient light can be set to change depending on the music or video you are playing.

Ok just bought
Sapphire NITRO+ OC Radeon RX 480

Already have my passive Nvidia card that I'll use as my internal graphics. I'm thinking of uninstalling the Nvidia drivers and rely on the Apple drivers to run the Nvidia until booted into system and then switch input on my monitor.

1. Can I install the AMD card in my first slot but tell the bios to boot from the 2nd?
2. Has anyone got this combo going?

yes, 5750 in 1st slot alone, boot sierra to check qe/cl, check o.k., then add rx480 to 2nd pcie slot, won't boot, stops half way in process. Added rx480 id's to x4100 and 9510 kext, no help, changed to different slots, different bios settings, no boot, except once to a garbled/banded 2nd screen when rx480 was plugged into dvi-d. The other outputs, the boot freezes in the boot process

jmacie,

I currently have an RX 480 working on a GA-X99-UD4 board with an AMD Radeon 7950 in slot 2 and the RX 480 in slot 1. My mobo is set to recognize slot 2 as the initial graphics slot. Does this config not work for you?

cv

But that could take hours to do, lol! What if it's wrong?

I have a stable system, just seeing if anyone has tried it yet or has some tips. I should receive the card today or tomorrow, I think I'll try the 1st slot AMD and 2nd or third Nvidia and see how it goes.

I'd say over 90% in this thread are using Skylake systems , so X99 is not that common, so the 2nd helper hgraphics card is not a common solution.

Sorry, but this is a testing thread, and we get some that spend more time asking questions than actually testing their questions/hypothesis. There have been many X99 users having success with this helper card method and it should work for you, I did it on my Z170 setup. It really depends on your motherboard and CPU and how many and what types of pcie lanes it will support. Also, how you can configure them, if at all. The key is to have the helper igpu card as primary display output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back