Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

So the short answer is probably not.

The long answer is that I have investigated the scripts that Toleda has made, read them over, and it seems they depend on Clover or some other system that makes Hackintoshes able to boot OS X. The scripts seem to work by messing about with the EFI partition on a Hackintosh. I have looked into whether something like Clover can work to inject certain bits to make HDMI audio work on a real Mac, but seems to be an unusual use case for that package. I have also looked at the VoodooHDA, as well, and installed it. It didn't seem to work either, with audio out over HDMI for this particular card.

Before I got the RX480, I had a Nvidia Geforce 650 Ti Boost which worked fantastically with HDMI audio. Hell, I acquired tons of lossless and DVD audio for playback on my receiver over HDMI which was great. So, yeah. Kind of interested in getting it back working.

If it is any consolation, I never got VooDooHDA to work over HDMI either. The latest from Toleda is:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-automatic-hdmi-audio-script-released.184867/

which uses only a SSDT aml file for AMD/Nvidia (no other edits) to put the controls in the Sound Preference pane, but I have not been able to get decent audio playback. Ditto for other approaches (This is why I am thinking of just making a signature line for the public beta update notices to the effect 'Audio is still horrifically bad.')

If you dig a little deeper into the Toleda fixes, it might be possible to find the Kexts or caches they are making the changes to and do it yourself using iHex? For example, check out the "Enabling all cores for AMD Fury cards" thread. It can be done using clover or as down there by directly changing the OS kexts. Those fixes (series of 00 02 D4 00) might be in the AMD4100kext or 9500contollerkext. Using iHex "find" may point out the find portion which you could then use the replace numbers.

Yes indeed, I certainly have the patch (actually three different areas that are patched) for enabling all of the RX480 cores in place and it works great. You're suggesting that there may be a place to patch in the same file(s) to enable HDMI audio? And as for SSDT .AML files - how would I go about applying this file in my case, with a real Mac?

Yes indeed, I certainly have the patch (actually three different areas that are patched) for enabling all of the RX480 cores in place and it works great. You're suggesting that there may be a place to patch in the same file(s) to enable HDMI audio? And as for SSDT .AML files - how would I go about applying this file in my case, with a real Mac?

Find Toleda thread for sound patching through hdmi and ask which kexts they are effecting, and ask Toleda directly if possible where to look.

Or, you could use iHex and use find in those two kexts to see if the fixes for HDMI ports for x cards come up, then apply patches.

I do not think you can directly plop a file like that -- aml -- in the 'boot' process and expect it to work. But it does have the locations of where the entry and exit points are for the card audio process and the entry and exit points for the sound controls. Perhaps the the stock apple kexts can be modified to allow the card's audio to be wedged into place.

Anyone able to do 4k @ 60hz?

Some benchmarks from a i5 7600k Kaby Lake CPU in a Gigabyte Z170M D3H mobo with XFX RX 480. These are without the CU units modifications.
heaven bench i5 7600k.pngi5 7600K valley.png
i5 7600k Luxmark 1300.png

Not too bad fore an unsupported CPU, IGPU, and Vcard.

With DisplayPort using RX 480 only, HDMI maxed out at 30hz.

Hello,

I'm able to pipe out 4k@60 hz fine, over DisplayPort. I use SwitchResX to get OS X to output a HiDPI flavour of that resolution. But it works great and looks great. I can share my SwitchResX settings if you need them.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm able to pipe out 4k@60 hz fine, over DisplayPort. I use DisplayResX to get OS X to output a HiDPI flavour of that resolution. But it works great and looks great. I can share my DisplayResX settings if you need them.

Are you using a RX 460?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back