Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1. As soon as the latest beta was installed this morning, I inspected to see if any native (out of box) support for the newer Radeons were added. We still see that in the Info.plist of AMDRadeonX4100.kext, it still lacks the device ID for the RX480.
I added this to the Info.plist, and also inspected for the number of cores being utilised, which remains similar to before. So I applied the patches to fix this (and use all 36 cores) as well.

So far, so good. The patches (which were exactly the same as applied to the previous beta) work fine. Also, I do have HDMIAudio.kext installed, but it does not appear that the audio functionality of the driver has arrived (yet), as no HDMI audio output shows up in the Sound control panel.

So we ('we' as in everyone that is not using the new MacBook Pro) are missing functionality ... On the one hand what you are reporting is reassuring in that it is not something weird with the set-up, but there is that annoying other hand ... You mention using the HDMIAudio.kext, just out of curiosity, does Toleda's AMD/NVidea HDMI patches work on a MacPro?

Thank you for letting us know.

So we ('we' as in everyone that is not using the new MacBook Pro) are missing functionality ... On the one hand what you are reporting is reassuring in that it is not something weird with the set-up, but there is that annoying other hand ... You mention using the HDMIAudio.kext, just out of curiosity, does Toleda's AMD/NVidea HDMI patches work on a MacPro?

I was going to mention Toleda, for a possible solution, it would be interesting.

I've taken on a new headache, the Kaby Lake i5 7600k I updated my bios to the z270 series.
View attachment 229556
30 bit color with no igpu metal support. The HD 630 graphics are not liking the Skylake fake IDs.

Any chance of getting some comparisons of the AMD graphics vs the HD 630 graphics? (This is supposed to be Intel's chip that sort of maybe catches up to where the last-generation decent entry level graphics cards were.)

I've tried to get HD 630 working, rehabman said it was done on hd 620 laptop but that was debunked by the user when they plugged in an extra screen. I'm working on it but it's just not taking any fake IDs.

Windows 10 is using default display drivers as well, so maybe Intel jumped the gun to beat Zen and weren't prepared.

A possible problem. Gigabyte has released a new bios version -- F4 -- for their RX460 4GB cards. This one is not playing well with macOS 10.12.3 public beta 3. The loading progress bar gets about 1/4 of the way across the screen and then everything seems to stop. After waiting a long while, giving up and then restarting, the AMD is not used, the system defaults to the IGPU. The AMD card is still noted as being there in the System Profiler, etc. etc., but it is not usable as it shows no monitor attached.

Unfortunately, there are not many tools for OS-X to use to enquire about the graphic card's status. I have been using Clover's LoadVBios option to load the updated bios. Gigabyte uses the same standard disclaimer on their graphics card bios page they use everywhere else on the site about which bios can be used with which card, but other comments on the internet now make this very confusing.

Edit: Going back to the F3 bios works just fine.

Last edited:
A possible problem. Gigabyte has released a new bios version -- F4 -- for their RX460 4GB cards. This one is not playing well with macOS 10.12.3 public beta 3. The loading progress bar gets about 1/4 of the way across the screen and then everything seems to stop. After waiting a long while, giving up and then restarting, the AMD is not used, the system defaults to the IGPU. The AMD card is still noted as being there in the System Profiler, etc. etc., but it is not usable as it shows no monitor attached.

Unfortunately, there are not many tools for OS-X to use to enquire about the graphic card's status. I have been using Clover's LoadVBios option to load the updated bios. Gigabyte uses the same standard disclaimer on their graphics card bios page they use everywhere else on the site about which bios can be used with which card, but other comments on the internet now make this very confusing.

Edit: Going back to the F3 bios works just fine.

Did you try it with dedicated graphics a mode?

Did you try it with dedicated graphics a mode?

You mean using the PCIe instead of IGPU as the primary graphics???

Not yet, I think I will try that later, but I have no hope towards that end. I have been reading that the motherboard bios is the offender because it then (when set to use PCIe as the start-up card) causes all of the graphics cards to be initialized from the start instead of waiting for the right time to initialize the PCIe cards.

Hello,

So the short answer is probably not.

The long answer is that I have investigated the scripts that Toleda has made, read them over, and it seems they depend on Clover or some other system that makes Hackintoshes able to boot OS X. The scripts seem to work by messing about with the EFI partition on a Hackintosh. I have looked into whether something like Clover can work to inject certain bits to make HDMI audio work on a real Mac, but seems to be an unusual use case for that package. I have also looked at the VoodooHDA, as well, and installed it. It didn't seem to work either, with audio out over HDMI for this particular card.

Before I got the RX480, I had a Nvidia Geforce 650 Ti Boost which worked fantastically with HDMI audio. Hell, I acquired tons of lossless and DVD audio for playback on my receiver over HDMI which was great. So, yeah. Kind of interested in getting it back working.

Hello,

So the short answer is probably not.

The long answer is that I have investigated the scripts that Toleda has made, read them over, and it seems they depend on Clover or some other system that makes Hackintoshes able to boot OS X. The scripts seem to work by messing about with the EFI partition on a Hackintosh. I have looked into whether something like Clover can work to inject certain bits to make HDMI audio work on a real Mac, but seems to be an unusual use case for that package. I have also looked at the VoodooHDA, as well, and installed it. It didn't seem to work either, with audio out over HDMI for this particular card.

Before I got the RX480, I had a Nvidia Geforce 650 Ti Boost which worked fantastically with HDMI audio. Hell, I acquired tons of lossless and DVD audio for playback on my receiver over HDMI which was great. So, yeah. Kind of interested in getting it back working.

If you dig a little deeper into the Toleda fixes, it might be possible to find the Kexts or caches they are making the changes to and do it yourself using iHex? For example, check out the "Enabling all cores for AMD Fury cards" thread. It can be done using clover or as down there by directly changing the OS kexts. Those fixes (series of 00 02 D4 00) might be in the AMD4100kext or 9500contollerkext. Using iHex "find" may point out the find portion which you could then use the replace numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back