Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I know. I have it connected through HDMI but the monitor decides to cycle through the available inputs anyways on boot. I cannot wait until I get my good monitor...

LuxMark v3.1 gives me 8344 with both the AMD and iGPU while Geekbench gives me a score of 72949 using the 460 only. Heaven crashes when I attempt to run the benchmark so I need to sort that out.

I had the exact opposite experience with FCPX. It got very unhappy with the modified HD530 info and was perfectly happy when I injected Intel HD530. Of course it got a bit more unhappy when I tried to push a 6K R3D file through it. Good thing I have test files from Canon and Sony cameras as well. The joys of working in media!

I might modify 4100kext just to get the extra OpenCL functionality. Heaven is also only benching my CPU it seems.

So many edits! I did modify my 4100kext but it didn't seem to make any difference. I am not injecting ATI since when I did that it got a little angry with the ghost monitor. I'll wait until I have a second monitor to screw around with injecting ATI.

Bottom line: if you want a relatively inexpensive graphics cards that works basically out of the box then get the Gigabyte RX 460. It may not be top of the line but it works. I'll probably upgrade later down the line

The Heaven benchmark should be able to run using this card ... I suspect that once you get the FCPX bit sorted out, it will work for you.

If you would like a slightly less stressful way of getting the 36 compute units, take a gander at page 136 in this thread for the posting by Mork_vom_Ork (post #1356). He lists a way to achieve that using only Clover config.plist editing. The third patch in that posting is not used by the RX 460 cards.

Also, I was able to get rid of that pesky ghost monitor by following the ideas from this posting (also listed here on TonyMacX86 but I cannot find the original listing at the moment):

http://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

They are more cautious about taking the steps to apply the fix, but really just run the script, move the generated file to the right place and use terminal to set the user to be root and group to wheel (sudo chown root:wheel filename) and restart. For my setup, there are 100% fewer phantom monitors hanging around. I am also thinking, but do not know for certain that this may help some monitors be more compatible with OS-X as far as which color-spaces they can actually deploy.

The Heaven benchmark should be able to run using this card ... I suspect that once you get the FCPX bit sorted out, it will work for you.

If you would like a slightly less stressful way of getting the 36 compute units, take a gander at page 136 in this thread for the posting by Mork_vom_Ork (post #1356). He lists a way to achieve that using only Clover config.plist editing. The third patch in that posting is not used by the RX 460 cards.

Also, I was able to get rid of that pesky ghost monitor by following the ideas from this posting (also listed here on TonyMacX86 but I cannot find the original listing at the moment):

http://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

They are more cautious about taking the steps to apply the fix, but really just run the script, move the generated file to the right place and use terminal to set the user to be root and group to wheel (sudo chown root:wheel filename) and restart. For my setup, there are 100% fewer phantom monitors hanging around. I am also thinking, but do not know for certain that this may help some monitors be more compatible with OS-X as far as which color-spaces they can actually deploy.

Thanks for the info on the ghost monitors. Turns out I'm an idiot and have been modifying the wrong line in the kext this entire time...so no wonder it's not working!

Also Heaven ran after I undid the Intel HD530 mods

Last edited:
Hi,
What about the igpu first issue (blind boot) ?. No solution yet ?

In general no, but there has been some slight improvement [limited to some set-ups] in what is essentially a two monitor set-up (or if you are careful a one monitor set-up) that will allow you to start with the IGPU and then after it boots switch to the discrete card and have full capabilities. But it is limited to some setups and the general idea of being able to just turn on the machine and get everything from the discrete card is not yet there (still blind boot). I have read the Clover developers are narrowing down what has to happen when to get things to work, but are not there yet.

So I tried to plug in 67DF into x4100 kext and I couldn't boot. I tried to skim a little here and saw someone got acceleration by changing smbios? I might be able to return this rx480 card and get something else, but right now I have no idea which one to get. I won't by an nvidia, so any advice on a functional radeon would be appreciated.

So I tried to plug in 67DF into x4100 kext and I couldn't boot. I tried to skim a little here and saw someone got acceleration by changing smbios? I might be able to return this rx480 card and get something else, but right now I have no idea which one to get. I won't by an nvidia, so any advice on a functional radeon would be appreciated.

Check out https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-radeon-drivers.197273/page-136#post-1394465 which is what I'm doing now, undo the Kext change you made if you can and do the above (safe mode boot or no graphics load boot I'm pretty sure). Who makes the card? I think the MSI RX480 was the best one for the job.

For example I have a Gigabyte RX460 because the ASUS RX460 was acting wacky for other people.

Check out https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-radeon-drivers.197273/page-136#post-1394465 which is what I'm doing now, undo the Kext change you made if you can and do the above (safe mode boot or no graphics load boot I'm pretty sure). Who makes the card? I think the MSI RX480 was the best one for the job.

For example I have a Gigabyte RX460 because the ASUS RX460 was acting wacky for other people.
Yeah, I have an MSI Rx480, and I really really hate to take it back. But I will, if I absolutely have to. I appreciate your help!

Yeah, I have an MSI Rx480, and I really really hate to take it back. But I will, if I absolutely have to. I appreciate your help!

Just passing along the advice I was given a few posts ago! Glad to help. Hopefully it'll work for you, I'm pretty sure the MSI RX480 was the one that was working for people but I'm sure they'll chime in.

I'll make sure to comment back if I make it work. I always manage to get something wrong on a hackintosh build. It took me forever to get Sierra installed, but I forge on!

I'll make sure to comment back if I make it work. I always manage to get something wrong on a hackintosh build. It took me forever to get Sierra installed, but I forge on!

This is my first Hackintosh build but I've broken real Macs into kernel panic loops because it's fun! As as former OS X sysadmin (and now a video systems engineer) it's super fun to play around in places you're not supposed to :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back