Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked maxx, but of course I'm biased.

I picked MAX as well but the integrated graphics still pops up first. Well I'll be getting a second monitor soonish so I'll just wait until then.

Now to recover from a corrupt backup! Thank goodness for multiple backup sets. Oh look it was just USB 3.0 on a certain LaCie drive acting up. Once I plugged in the drive via Thunderbolt to my laptop I was able to view the backup and transfer it to another drive.

Last edited:
It should work pretty well, the NVME may be the biggest hurdle. Before you try to get HD 530 support, like in Multibeast you may want to try the easy method without injecting Intel. You only need to use fake Intel ID 0x19120003, and ig platform ID 0a206080. These can be added in clover screen before you boot and set using clover configurator on a permanent basis. This will give you metal supported graphics without the need to inject Intel which may confuse FCPX with 2 graphics options. Using an external USB sound card like the Sabrient is plug and play and won't require any fixes as well. These two options should help you to get a system working more easily and leave you only with the Graphics card and Nvme needing fixes. The RX 480 will be easier to get up and running than the NvMe so I would recommend starting with the install and working your NvME fixes out then installing and fixing the RX card. Remember not to use the HD 530 fixes during instal they will be harder to find and remove later if they don't work out. If the fake Intel ID fix doesn't work and you want to load HD 530 you can do that later. Having a graphics card installed takes away the glitches and problems with Intel graphics so you will only have a minor problem with them( upper left corner glitch) until you get RX card installed.

For a everyday working machine I'd strictly stay with OOB components, so I'd avoid NVMe drives, especially as boot device. Even a minor OS update can break the hacked drivers, leaving your machine in an unbootable state. Better get an AHCI m.2 blade, they're supported OOB and almost as fast.

The RX 480 is less troublesome, but still not supported without some tweaks and workarounds. The raw compute performance of the older R9 280X isn't much lower, and it doesn't need any hacks. The only reason I see for preferring the RX 480 would be the 8GB framebuffer, which might be necessary for 4K editing. I don't have much personal experience in this field though, so I don't know for sure if a 3GB GPU would be bottlenecking your workflow.

I have an 850 EVO with an i5-6600k and an Gigabyte RX460 4GB OC. I did the BruceX benchmark (to the 850 EVO) in 36 seconds. This was with Intel injected and without modification of the RX460. I now have Intel injection turned off and the RX460 with more CUs so I'll run the test again when I get a chance. FCPX was getting angry with me when I was playing around with fake Intel ID so I ended up disabling all of that. I don't do much editing anymore though so I don't need extreme speeds (850 EVO is around 500 MB/s per Blackmagic).

Oddly enough I didn't have to do the fake Intel ID and all that to get my HD530 recognized with full acceleration and metal support. No graphical glitches either. It started working with full support after I unchecked Inject Intel. This might just be my motherboard (I have the Gaming-5 with F20 firmware) but I'm doing nothing to the HD530 in Clover as far as I can tell though I need triple check that, something might have snuck in.

*edit* my fully tricked out MBP with PCI flash storage does it in 38 seconds with an AMD Radeon R9 M370X. The flash storage on it is PCI and not SATA III so I'm sure my bottleneck on the Hackintosh is the EVO. I'll upgrade to m2 eventually but it plays with the PCI speeds.

Oh and zero sleep/wake issues on the Gigabyte RX460 even with the kext modification via Clover. Though I do get USB (3.1) shutoff but I had those issues even on a real Mac. I need to futz with my motherboard settings and test that further.

Last edited:
I have an 850 EVO with an i5-6600k and an Gigabyte RX460 4GB OC. I did the BruceX benchmark (to the 850 EVO) in 36 seconds. This was with Intel injected and without modification of the RX460. I now have Intel injection turned off and the RX460 with more CUs so I'll run the test again when I get a chance. FCPX was getting angry with me when I was playing around with fake Intel ID so I ended up disabling all of that. I don't do much editing anymore though so I don't need extreme speeds (850 EVO is around 500 MB/s per Blackmagic).

Oddly enough I didn't have to do the fake Intel ID and all that to get my HD530 recognized with full acceleration and metal support. No graphical glitches either. It started working with full support after I unchecked Inject Intel. This might just be my motherboard (I have the Gaming-5 with F20 firmware) but I'm doing nothing to the HD530 in Clover as far as I can tell though I need triple check that, something might have snuck in.

*edit* my fully tricked out MBP with PCI flash storage does it in 38 seconds with an AMD Radeon R9 M370X. The flash storage on it is PCI and not SATA III so I'm sure my bottleneck on the Hackintosh is the EVO. I'll upgrade to m2 eventually but it plays with the PCI speeds.

Oh and zero sleep/wake issues on the Gigabyte RX460 even with the kext modification via Clover. Though I do get USB (3.1) shutoff but I had those issues even on a real Mac. I need to futz with my motherboard settings and test that further.

Maybe look at your ram. Do a google search about rendering times and ram size/speed.
As the output file of bruce x is only small I doubt storage is the bottleneck.
You biggest bottleneck is likely the RX460. The 480 get's you quite a lot more power.

My system is different, but it does Bruce x in 14 seconds.
6700k @4.7ghz
64gb Ram @ 3200mhz
2x 512gb sm951
RX480 Red Devil

Maybe look at your ram. Do a google search about rendering times and ram size/speed.
As the output file of bruce x is only small I doubt storage is the bottleneck.
You biggest bottleneck is likely the RX460. The 480 get's you quite a lot more power.

My system is different, but it does Bruce x in 14 seconds.
6700k @4.7ghz
64gb Ram @ 3200mhz
2x 512gb sm951
RX480 Red Devil

Quite different! Since I have 16gb RAM @ 2400mhz

RAM is pretty high on the upgrade list. FCP X is crashing currently though I won't know if that is me accessing them system over ARD or it not liking the HD530 identified as Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB even without futzing with fake ID. I'll deal with it when I get home.

Bah I forgot I need the fake ID for FCP X to work correctly.

Last edited:
Quite different! Since I have 16gb RAM @ 2400mhz

RAM is pretty high on the upgrade list. FCP X is crashing currently though I won't know if that is me accessing them system over ARD or it not liking the HD530 identified as Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB even without futzing with fake ID. I'll deal with it when I get home.

Bah I forgot I need the fake ID for FCP X to work correctly.

With FCPX 10.3.1 you need to delete some of the Skylake graphics drivers. There currently seems to be a conflict in the latest version of fcpx.

With FCPX 10.3.1 you need to delete some of the Skylake graphics drivers. There currently seems to be a conflict in the latest version of fcpx.

When I was injecting Intel it was working correctly but I wasn't getting full graphics acceleration and I thought removing those drivers caused anything plugged into the ports on the motherboard to act all funky? Since I'll have a secondary monitor hooked up to the mobo this isn't a good fix for me.

It's not a huge deal as I haven't touched FCP X in about a million years, I was just doing it for benchmarks. Lightroom is going to be what I use mainly and that is a million times quicker than my old iMac. I do occasionally have to use Premiere for work but I have a work laptop for that.
I wonder if I can get Avid working on the Hackintosh even though it barely works half the time on regular Macs :beachball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back