Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Beta guys, please report back how is things. and specially if we still need IGPU as primary.

To me it looks like there's currently no way to go without iGFX!
My RedDevil RX480 is running with the modified info.plist in AMDRadeonX4100.kext in Sierra 10.12.1 beta 2 (0x67DF1002). But only in combination with iGFX attached to an active seconday monitor(wtf?). Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (0x01620009) GA Z77X-D3H

Just to confirm, this is still a public beta program according my latest download. macOS 10.12.1 Public Beta 3 so as long as we are not using "Developer" Beta references we're ok right?

Good News! I survived the Beta 3 update and the 4100 Kext was updated or replaced as my EO to DF change was replaced, however, I booted up with support for the RX 480. The FAKESMCkext fix works in Beta 3 and survived the update. @mork VOM ORK, you da man!

Just to confirm, this is still a public beta program according my latest download. macOS 10.12.1 Public Beta 3 so as long as we are not using "Developer" Beta references we're ok right?

The rules are quite specific - Public Beta = Good. Developer Beta = Bad.

This site allows discussion of pre-release software (such as OS X Public Beta software builds) from the free Apple Beta Software Program. This site does NOT support pre-release Apple Developer Program Beta software, and does NOT allow the discussion of installation or use of Apple Developer Program Beta software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban. No Apple Developer Program Builds, Apple Beta Software Program builds only

Anybody using the Asus RX 480?

i had the asus rx460 4gb it had vbios issues. now have sapphire rx480 4gb nitro+oc and works fine.

Anybody using the Asus RX 480?
Why, do you have one? They may all work eventually, it could be they are adding more support as vendors supply it in the Beta. I tried the 67EO change to 67DF on the middle 67FF spot in the early betas and public release and it didn't work. But the Beta 2 version had RX support with that definition so now all three definitions have some level of support.

Rx 480
XFX reference, Sapphire nitro, Red Devil 8gb (power cooler?) Gigabye 8gb reference?

RX 470
MSI, Sapphire

RX 460
Gigabyte, sapphire

I don't know of any other brands currently. Theoretically, they should all work but I've tried a few that didn't and I always went back to a control XFX 480, Gigabyte 460 to double check. At this point these earlier cards I had no success with may be working in the Betas.

That MSI 470 was really solid and the quietest card of the bunch. I was disappointed when the MSI 480 didn't work.

I just googled it and all I could get was several references to TonyMacx86, Lol!

Last edited:
Why, do you have one? They may all work eventually, it could be they are adding more support as vendors supply it in the Beta. I tried the 67EO change to 67DF on the middle 67FF spot in the early betas and public release and it didn't work. But the Beta 2 version had RX support with that definition so now all three definitions have some level of support.

Rx 480
XFX reference, Sapphire nitro, Red Devil 8gb (power cooler?) Gigabye 8gb reference?

RX 470
MSI, Sapphire

RX 460
Gigabyte, sapphire

I don't know of any other brands currently. Theoretically, they should all work but I've tried a few that didn't and I always went back to a control XFX 480, Gigabyte 460 to double check. At this point these earlier cards I had no success with may be working in the Betas.

That MSI 470 was really solid and the quietest card of the bunch. I was disappointed when the MSI 480 didn't work.

I just googled it and all I could get was several references to TonyMacx86, Lol!

Newegg has the Asus Rouge RX 480 Strix on sale with a manufacturer rebate card and I was thinking about picking one up but I would prefer that the point release with drivers for Radon is released so I know which cards are going to be supported.
I know the 470 is the best choice for power draw and will probably be an option for updated iMacs but I still have little confidence that the 480 will make the cut unless a new Mac Pro is released.
I'm still in a holding pattern for a GPU at this point.
I would like to go 10 series Nvidia but but will they even bother with Mac web drivers?
My Windows gaming partition is waiting on power for the fun stuff. lol

luxmark 3.1 hotel scene result 2100 is on par with 280x :(. It should be around 2800.
if you could please do a benchmark of BruceX for the FCPX ppl - here is a guide http://www.fcp.co/fcp-forum/hardwar...is-new-final-cut-pro-x-benchmark?limitstart=0 , ignore the export to h.264 and do just Prores422 (has been broken for some time now).

FCPX: 10.2.3
macOS: 10.12.1 public beta 3 (so upgraded ok here too @Gigamaxx. Didn't try adding config map yet.)
System disk: Internal HDD 7200 rpm
Export disk: Internal SSD

With Apple Prores 422: (15.76 + 15.11 + 18.13) / 3 = 16.33 secs.

Not too impressive compared to latest results. I'll try all the benchmarks again when I have faster CPU's (could take some time) and the system on an SSD (waiting for 10.12.1 final).

Reactions: qbe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back