Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your specs?

CPU
Motherboard/mainboard
RX ?, brand as well

Use search "enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in sierra". It's a good place to start.

If it's a gigabyte, Asus, or MSI RX card they can be a little harder to get working.
I still did not buy it.... I am planning to build the system. I will be going for Saphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC and asus b250 plus Motherboard and intel i5 7500 . The thing is that I hear RX 480 does not perform well in mac os sierra :( . People recommended me to buy nvidia 1060 but you know how nvidia stops regular update after the next gen is introduced...Please can you confirm me rx 480 works with full performance and full acceleration? Thanks

I still did not buy it.... I am planning to build the system. I will be going for Saphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC and asus b250 plus Motherboard and intel i5 7500 . The thing is that I hear RX 480 does not perform well in mac os sierra :( . People recommended me to buy nvidia 1060 but you know how nvidia stops regular update after the next gen is introduced...Please can you confirm me rx 480 works with full performance and full acceleration? Thanks

XFX RX 480 8gb reference card (first release), Intel Pentium G3258 2 cores 2 threads.
Geekbench 12.4 v8.png

In windows my RX 480 scores are about 125000, the 1060 about the same score. In Sierra RX 480s are beating the windows scores for openCL (graphics rendering) format, but for gaming or openGL the RX 480 does better in windows. If you want to do artwork or video editing the RX gets 30 bit color ARBG210101010 versus the 32 bit ARBG88888 of the 1060 at this time. The Nvidia drivers are not producing 30 bit color yet. If you want to game then the 1060 will probably do better especially if you dual boot into windows.

Next week they are releasing the new RX 500 series with a 10-20% performance increase over the 400 series. If a $260 RX 580 beats the $260 1060 then it will be an easier choice, if the above score goes to 160000 that gets into the 1070 territory for open Cl or rendering.

Updates: With Nvidia you will need to wait for the new drivers before you update Sierra, with AMD not an issue. My RX 480 has been working since September and has never lost support or full acceleration. Nvidia drivers may improve and outperform the Native AMD drivers in time or they may not be able to get full pascal power and 30 bit color. Only time will tell.

Also, Nvidia drivers allow you to use the cards in dedicated graphics mode, no need for IGPU as primary display, no dual screen or ghost screen issues. Both cards have positives and negatives you need to figure out which use you want (gaming or rendering) and go from there.

XFX RX 480 8gb reference card (first release), Intel Pentium G3258 2 cores 2 threads.
View attachment 248858

In windows my RX 480 scores are about 125000, the 1060 about the same score. In Sierra RX 480s are beating the windows scores for openCL (graphics rendering) format, but for gaming or openGL the RX 480 does better in windows. If you want to do artwork or video editing the RX gets 30 bit color ARBG210101010 versus the 32 bit ARBG88888 of the 1060 at this time. The Nvidia drivers are not producing 30 bit color yet. If you want to game then the 1060 will probably do better especially if you dual boot into windows.

Next week they are releasing the new RX 500 series with a 10-20% performance increase over the 400 series. If a $260 RX 580 beats the $260 1060 then it will be an easier choice, if the above score goes to 160000 that gets into the 1070 territory for open Cl or rendering.

Updates: With Nvidia you will need to wait for the new drivers before you update Sierra, with AMD not an issue. My RX 480 has been working since September and has never lost support or full acceleration. Nvidia drivers may improve and outperform the Native AMD drivers in time or they may not be able to get full pascal power and 30 bit color. Only time will tell.

Also, Nvidia drivers allow you to use the cards in dedicated graphics mode, no need for IGPU as primary display, no dual screen or ghost screen issues. Both cards have positives and negatives you need to figure out which use you want (gaming or rendering) and go from there.
Thank you very much brother.... I believe that for gaming saphire nitro + rx 480 oc is a good choice.. So yes I plan to go with the red team :D thank you for the help

480 work like a 280 and is experimental. Glitches. Little problems. Black screen. Igpu issues. Patches...

Did you export the 4100kext or modify El Cap kexts? Check the IOReg are there any accelerators loading or just the default framebuffers?

My Rx 480 runs in Mavericks but as display 7mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back