Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Nice! It's the code I was selecting in your AMD compatibility guide.
Also install Verde.kext
Yes I was right facing the black screen sierra phase.

Now I got an "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 2048 MB", with only a pair of glitches (flashes) on boot's progress bar.
After that everything flows.

It seem that this GPU, although it's a DDR5, it's only a "first generation", and less strong than the official site advertise :-X.
I did a geekbench compute Open CL with a score of 9232, less than the HD530: 19000. Is this possible?

A last detail I will investigate tomorrow is the GPU's fan that is running at max speed, it's noisy on a silent build...

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Testing the card
  • I inserted GraphicEnabler=yes in config.plist in injection section (not sure if graphic accelleration is ON)
  • After effects alert me that there is no CUDA, after a fast search I know that is not available with AMD gpu.
    (But an old project called Ocelot promise compatibility...)
  • Looking on geekbench charts I see that W4100 should be at 26.300. I have the feeling that actually it's read as a DDR3 gpu. I will test soon similar ID, and framebuffer names.
  • Reading the hierarchy gpu post, this gpu should be a little better than HD530, so did also Novabench test:
    results with hd530 are global 1287, graphic 58. Result with AMD w4100, global 1320, graphic 65.
    This corresponds. Probably the Novabench is a wider test than only Open CL

I am also trying to control the fans. :beachball:
Looking about this I found this article and this other, but no one worked and it seem that I can't control the GPU speed.
Two details:
  • I see the temp on HWmonitor app: 40-42° in normal usage,
  • the speed of the fan is not detected.
I read that's almost is impossible to control fans of AMD gpu on Mac...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 460
For my setup, it is working almost OOB by using Inject-ATI = false and removing all of the other related patches OR, by using Inject-ATI = true along with using the Clover. Key FBName set to be Berbice as well as the Clover Berbice frame buffer patch I listed. You cannot just use the framebuffer name without the framebuffer patch. Ohers that have joined in the various comments are getting similar results. Also make sure you are using a new version of Clover, probably v4035 or the newest v 4049. 10.12.4 and Clover have made some of the approaches obsolete or at least no longer necessary. Note: this is also happening with some of the older graphics and other add in cards as well.
Hello ¡¡ Are sleep and wake working for you? I'm facing some issues on that, because most of the times wakes without acceleration.
Could you help me to configure it right? Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Yes, I just done your benchmark.
with HD530 as primary

with AMD HD7xxx as primary

The card seem to be slower, note this detail on Luxmark interface: it has a clock of 100mhz?

Also, audio over mdp is not solved by the gpu, and stop/wake remain.

Last edited:
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello ¡¡ Are sleep and wake working for you? I'm facing some issues on that, because most of the times wakes without acceleration.
Could you help me to configure it right? Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

You probably will not like my answer. I am in 10.12.5 PB (s well as 10.12.4) and some sleep functions are working but hibernate mode is not working. I lost hibernate mode somewhere around 10.12.2 or so. Display sleep, all of the way to monitor shutdown mode and restart is working well. I have tried various options to recover audio after sleeping, but it seemed that longer sleep times caused these fixes to also not work, and hence the system needed to be rebooted. So for 'long enough' sleep times, I just shut the system down and restart later. For short term sleep, I open a terminal window, type in the command caffeinate and let it run. This will let the screen saver come on as you have it set up, then sleep the display, then allow it to shutdown at the times you have set up in the Energy Saver Preferences. The mouse and keyboard will awaken the system with acceleration, audio,. etc. no problems, but this command is not for long term use as it does not sleep the cpu.

edit: type the usual control-c combination to exit the command.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello AMD users. So Pascal driver is coming to Mac, does anyone know is it possible that Mac will support RX 480 without any tweaks? I want to use two RX 480(Crossfire in window) for my build. Gigamaxx told me that two rx480 will cause black screen in a skylake system. Does anyone know the reason behind this and will it be fix?

To be honest, at this point, I don't know if I should switch to Nvidia. :p

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
FakeID = 0x683D1002
Also 0x683F is working...
I am trying adjacent ID, maybe one of them works better. Looking at different benchmarks, it seem that this GPU it's working at 50%-60% of capability. The verde unknow prototype engine can be a bottleneck? (#2310)

Also, I am trying the GPU without the fan. I leaved the little metal dissipator over the chip.
Now I get a 61° stable temp. on HWM (normal use).
I don't know how will be safe in case of a movie, or rendering, but the build is absolutely silent.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
CPU
Intel i9 9900K
Graphics
Asus strix RTX 2080TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I just upgraded from a HD 7970 to a R9 290X card. My 7970 was working flawlessly straight OOB. R9 290X? Not so much. I got the black screen after startup and monitor went into sleep mode. I have been reading about setting onboard intel GFX as primary and attaching both VGA (from intel GFX) and HDMI (from R9 290X) to the same monitor in order to see the clover boot menu (dual booting windows) Is this still the best way to "init" the R9 290X card? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.