Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered earlier today you can boot into the MacOS recovery partition with the AMD card set to primary in your BIOS. I checked what kexts it loaded and it was AMD9000Controller and AMDFrameBuffer.

I didn't think to check what versions of each kext my recovery partition has, but the fact that the system survives loading AMD9000Controller might help to narrow down the helper card requirement issue.

I discovered earlier today you can boot into the MacOS recovery partition with the AMD card set to primary in your BIOS. I checked what kexts it loaded and it was AMD9000Controller and AMDFrameBuffer.
I didn't think to check what versions of each kext my recovery partition has, but the fact that the system survives loading AMD9000Controller might help to narrow down the helper card requirement issue.
AMDRadeonX4100 is required to be loaded for QE/CI/Metal support

I did some testing a while back I used the 7000cobntrollerkext and put RX 480 IDs and got the 4000kext loaded. it had the 7000 and 4000 kexts loaded but there was no accelerators loaded. It was default frame buffer support and benchmark apps wouldn't run. I tried many combinations, the 7000, 5000, 9000, 4000, 3000, kexts and nothing gets full acceleration except the 4100kext and the 9500 or 9510 controller for beta 12.4.

Below the window on the left has the 9500controller loading the 4100kext accelerators, the image on the right has the AMD frame buffers that occur with partial or default support. Without the accelerators the cards tend to crash benchmarks and don't have full support. If you did load the 4000kext accelerators that would be interesting but can you do it and get a IORegistry screenshot like one of these.

RX framebuffers.png

The awaited macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update did not make any changes to the Apple / AMD 9510 Controller or the 4100 kexts from the last beta version, both are still at version 1.50.38.

So sigh, audio is still 'horrifically bad'.

I used the combo updater without any issue. All of the stuff from getting the betas to run worked without any changes in the new version. There are lots of changes to look at, for example the iBridge thing is now showing up in the system report under the hardware listing. From what I gather this is supposed to be some kind of network interface for the MacBook Pro with the touchbar gizmo stuff. Which would imply, but not guarantee that Apple is merging some of the codebase for Sierra on the MBP into the main Sierra line, but have not gotten really far in doing that. At least not as far as AMD graphics drivers are concerned. :)

The awaited macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update did not make any changes to the Apple / AMD 9510 Controller or the 4100 kexts from the last beta version, both are still at version 1.50.38.

I used the combo updater without any issue. All of the stuff from getting the betas to run worked without any changes in the new version. There are lots of changes to look at, for example the iBridge thing is now showing up in the system report under the hardware listing. From what I gather this is supposed to be some kind of network interface for the MacBook Pro with the touchbar gizmo stuff. Which would imply, but not guarantee that Apple is merging some of the codebase for Sierra on the MBP into the main Sierra line, but have not gotten really far in doing that. At least not as far as AMD graphics drivers are concerned. :)

For folks that want good audio through a 3.5mm jack. I use the below DAC. It doesn't look like much, but it's freaking amazing and I don't just mean for the cost. It made my Kanto YU2 speakers sound WAY WAY better. I use it in combination with the USB isolator adaptor also, which completely removes the noise my mobo leaks into the USB ports. Even the special so called gigabyte DAC USB ports introduce noise.

https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/Sabre-9018-DAC

They are pretty ugly DAC's, but I have mine mounted internally in my case, with a 3.5mm jack adaptor fitted to the back of my case, so I can plug/unplug different audio devices etc.
Now I have removed all the onboard audio kexts etc. as I don't have any need for them.

HI I didn't updated to any beta of 10.12.4, so I am using 10.12.3. Do you use a guide to update it? Will there be any problem if I update it? I am using a RX480 on a skylake system.

HI I didn't updated to any beta of 10.12.4, so I am using 10.12.3. Do you use a guide to update it? Will there be any problem if I update it? I am using a RX480 on a skylake system.

I think Gigamaxx will be in a better place to answer that, because there are some differences between the RX 460 I am using and the RX 480 you are using. If you are using Inject-ATi = false already, you will probably be able to update without any problem, but he will be able to answer that more completely.

edit: you will also still have to make the edits in the 9510 and 4100 kexts similar to what you did in the 9500 and 4100 kexts.

Last edited:
For folks that want good audio through a 3.5mm jack. I use the below DAC. It doesn't look like much, but it's freaking amazing and I don't just mean for the cost. It made my Kanto YU2 speakers sound WAY WAY better. I use it in combination with the USB isolator adaptor also, which completely removes the noise my mobo leaks into the USB ports. Even the special so called gigabyte DAC USB ports introduce noise.

https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/Sabre-9018-DAC

They are pretty ugly DAC's, but I have mine mounted internally in my case, with a 3.5mm jack adaptor fitted to the back of my case, so I can plug/unplug different audio devices etc.
Now I have removed all the onboard audio kexts etc. as I don't have any need for them.

Is is possible to get the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound audio with these type of set-ups?

Updated through app store with no problems. I'm using FakeID to get my RX480 working and it is still working with 10.12.4. No more full compute core unlock edit though.

Updated through app store with no problems. I'm using FakeID to get my RX480 working and it is still working with 10.12.4. No more full compute core unlock edit though.

How you do? I'm on 10.12.2 (16C67) and want to update, I have my RX 480 Working with FakeID
Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 21.47.54.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 21.48.12.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 21.50.47.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back