Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, I tried with a hd5750 slot 1 that had qe/cl, added rx480, booted, added 67DF1002 into 9500 and 4100 (tried 12.4 betas too with 9510.kext), ran kext util to set permissions, would not boot. Took out ids and put into clover 10.12 kext folder, would not boot. Changed around cards physically and no difference. Tried the same with hd4650 that had qe/cl alone, added rx480 would not boot, with kexts in clover/ and tried with ids in s/l/e, no boot. tried spoofing 67df for ff in clover configurator, did not work. I've read and read and have no clue. I figure about the time I sell this card on ebay a solution will be found.

Have you searched the MSI RX 480 success thread? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ll-acceleration-in-macos-sierra.206761/page-3
Maybe something there?

Thank you, I do appreciate my failures, cause in my searches I learn a lot. Appreciate your help. @Gigamaxx

Progress, but not there yet.

Mork has posted a comment over in the HDMI audio part (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-xfx-rx-480-8gb-reference-card.213498/page-6 post #56). I thought I would see how the approach would work on my RX 460 so I followed along with what he is asking the RX 480 folks to try. [I got the same as I alway have, so nothing great to report on that part.]

I had removed the AMD 4100 kext to run the test, so I had put it back to restore the system to original and restarted, but I had forgotten to reset the BIOS option to use the IGPU instead of the PCIe graphics card. The system completely booted without the usual kernel panic with the characteristic purple line of dots on the monitor. None of the ports worked (all showed no-signal to the monitor) but the system was not locked up, I was able to blindly log-in and get the usual disk activity LEDs flashing as if the system was acting normally. Just without any kind of graphics. I did this several times including a hard shutdown and startup as well as several warm reboots. I have not tried this in a while, but something has changed in either the Apple - AMD 9510 controller and 4100 kext or in Clover's newer version or in both.

Here is the background info that I have.

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Public Beta v6
Clover v 4035

Gigabyte GA-Z97N Gaming 5, BIOS version F5, i-4690S, 16GB RAM
BIOS was set to use PCIe

I do not directly have the BIOS entry CSM -Disable/Enable, this option used to be there but was changed in the BIOS F5 to be separate entries (my board went from F3 to F5). I have in its place:

Windows 8 Feature
Other OS
Boot Mode Selection
UEFI Only
LAN PXE Boot Option ROM
Disabled
Storage Boot Option Control
UEFI Only
Other PCI Devices ROM Priority
UEFI opROM

It is progress, but not there yet.

Edit: This BIOS also has a setting found in the Peripherals section called Intel Processor Graphics -- Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Enabled). Setting this to disabled along with using PCIe graphics has no effect. But the system is running and not locked up in a kernel panic. Presently, the startup logo screen, the Clover screen and the Apple progress loading screen are visible up to the point when (I assume it is) the 4100 kext is loaded. Then the monitor loses the signal (all the connectors turn off) but the system continues loading and I can log-in. But no graphics from here. Since the IGPU is turned off, this makes it truly a headless Mac, which is not really useful for a desktop system.

So how does one go about re-initializing the PCIe graphics card?

Last edited:
Hey all - I just got a Nitro Saphire 480 as well, and popped it into my tonymac circa 2011 hackintosh - replacing the Radeon 5870; I've got the gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3 which doesn't have onboard graphics (and can't choose the IGFX that I see in other setups). What's weird is even upon boot the gigabyte logo is scrambled?

Hey mate, Did you change the primary graphic option in your bios ?

I managed to get my GA h55mS2 working under Sierra and now I am using Sierra 10.12.3 with my RX460 and a helper card using this -> method I checked GA-P55A-UD3 and found out that your mobo is mainly just like mine (Same LGA 1156 and of course no IGFX) but with two x16 slots as defined in Expansion Slots:
  1. *1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) (The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  2. *1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
Now to do the helper card trick follow these steps/instructions:

1) From the mobo manual page number 7 you will see 2 PCI x16, The first one will be x16 and the second will be x4(The slot still x16 but not powerful as the first one) if u want to know more look at tomshardware:
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 6.39.09 AM.png

and here we go to the important part

2) So now all what u have to do is to plug Radeon 5870 in the x4(second x16) and RX480 in x16(first x16),
From the mobo manual page number 48 you have(mmm must) /to/ change the Init Display First to PEG2:
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 6.40.10 AM.png

3)Why PEG2? From the mobo manual page number 49:

Init Display First: Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card or the PCI Express graphics card.

PCI (will be your default value)
PEG PCIEX16 (will be RX480 following the previous plugin steps)
PEG2 PCIEX4 (will be Radeon 5870)

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 6.40.26 AM.png

4) Plug the DVI or the cable that you use to Radeon 5870 as you start your computer after booting to clover unplug the DVI and plug it into your RX480.

Now the moment of truth:

1) You can directly boot macOS from Radeon 5870 without the need to handle it to RX480, means you do not have to switch DVIs
2) If you want to run your RX480, I will advice you to configure your system using your Radeon 5870 then do the DVI trick to boot your RX480 to try the configuration.

Have fun

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Public Beta v8 (16E192b) is available for downloading.

The AMD 9510 Controller and the 4100 kext have been updated to version 1.50.38 with build date March 16, 2017.

There is nothing quickly apparent as to any big changes, the 4100 kext still has:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x67E01002 0x67FF1002 0x67EF1002</string>

while the 9510 Controller has:

<string>AMD9510Controller</string>
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

edit: That last should read

<string>AMD9510Controller</string>
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x67EF1002</string>

I guess my typing skills are getting rusty.

Last edited:
I just finished loading version 7 over the weekend, this is a lightning pace for these Betas.

It could be the public release is just around the corner, or it could be that the developers fixed some issues that caused other issues to materialize. Or some other reason ... .

Heaven Score on 10.12.4 beta 8 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC

eQJFzs0.png

Valley Scores:
OZdQsb2.png

Last edited:
Geekbench 12.4 v8.png

The CU limit fix of the 12.3 RadeonX4100 luckily still working in 12.4 V8.

When I rebooted there was a screen lock error. gIOscreenlock was the last line and I looked back through it and saw a GPU issue. I tried booting several times, changed CPUID and nothing worked, I unplugged the RX card and it booted. Rebooted with card connected and the same screen lock issue. I used ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002 and it booted right up with acceleration. I modified the info.plist 9510 and 4100 kexts and rebooted all worked well. I added the modified CU fix and it works as well.

Very strange that it wouldn't boot with RX 480 card connected unless I used fake ID for the 460 or unplugged the power to the card.

12.4 V8 RX 480 X2 CPU.png

Luxmark RX 480 X2 12.4 V8.png

Dual RX 480s working as well. Haswell systems support Dual RX 480s (not crossfire) for certain open CL apps.

Skylake does not support dual RX cards, you get black screen. It is very similar to the IGPU being disabled, the cards fan up but no output signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back