Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra Public Beta 6 is Now Available

Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
80
Motherboard
ASUS Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hey Mrclassicrecord,

Were you able to figure it out?

I'm in the process of buying a virtually identical rig (different graphics card and no Accelsior but close).

Would love to know if you got it working and if you have any suggestions/tips/regrets about that rig.

Thanks.
Hey EightBall8! Yes I finally got the basic system to install! But I don't have the Audio or Ethernet. Others have used an Apple USB Ethernet Dongle and a USB Audio interface! The system is blazing fast! It looks promising. But we will have to see with the public release of High Sierra to be sure!
 
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
90
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 1151
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8 gb
mrclassicrecord - great news.

Anything you'd do differently - component wise?

Two other questions (apologies in advance, I'm a noob to hackintosh):
1. When you say we'll have to wait for final high sierra release - is that because there are additional system components that aren't in the current beta's? What are the big pieces you're waiting on (or is it audio/ethernet - which I'd say are big)?

2. Am I crazy to begin with High Sierra Beta? I'm assuming if that's where I want to end up it's easier to upgrade from Beta than it is to go from Sierra to High Sierra?

Can't seem to find a pm option on this forum but I'm really selfishly interested in how your build/install/troubleshooting goes because, like I said, I'm following you down the path with the same components.

Thanks.
 
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
80
Motherboard
ASUS Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
mrclassicrecord - great news.

Anything you'd do differently - component wise?

Two other questions (apologies in advance, I'm a noob to hackintosh):
1. When you say we'll have to wait for final high sierra release - is that because there are additional system components that aren't in the current beta's? What are the big pieces you're waiting on (or is it audio/ethernet - which I'd say are big)?

2. Am I crazy to begin with High Sierra Beta? I'm assuming if that's where I want to end up it's easier to upgrade from Beta than it is to go from Sierra to High Sierra?

Can't seem to find a pm option on this forum but I'm really selfishly interested in how your build/install/troubleshooting goes because, like I said, I'm following you down the path with the same components.

Thanks.
Hey Eightball8!


Here are the main components to the rig:

* GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 1151

* Intel I7-7700K

* AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB

* Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

* SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe

* OWC 240GB Mercury Accelsior E2 (Old Stock)(Newer PCIe Cards are faster & less costly)

* 500 GB SSD Scandisk

* TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps

* SABRENT AU-EMAC USB EXTERNAL STEREO SOUND ADAPTER

* Dual Seiki Pro 28” 4K Monitors


I am anticipative of the potential of this rig!


I have it running except that the Audio, (USB 3 ports) and Ethernet needing kexts to operate. I don’t have Thunderbolt components to test.


I used temporary hardware solutions for the WIFI & Audio. The WIFI Card & Audio USB adapter work OOB plug and play. If you must have a Ethernet an Apple dongle works fine.


I will share my settings and steps I took to get where I am soon. There are a few issues that have to be addressed and we are waiting for the Public Release of High Sierra Consumer edition in the App Store and a version of Unibeast, Multibeast that will be for High Sierra. Multibeast for Sierra wouldn’t display my NVMe drive as an option to install and EFI. EFI Mounter wouldn’t either. I don’t know if this is because it is formatted APFS, or because they are specifically for Sierra. But Clover configurator mounted the EFI.


So yes I would wait until the Public Release of High Sierra Consumer edition in the App Store and full support comes from Hackintosh sites.


Any Vega Card should work out the box in High Sierra. Though they are scarce supply for the 64s and recently released 56s, which will likely go up in price also. The Vega Frontier Edition card has been available for $999 since release and should still be in stock due to its price, but with the scarcity and price hiking of other Vega Cards it’s becoming more attractive and might be hard to get, until the fevor for them fades. PLEASE NOTE the Frontier Edition does run HOT. But the other option is the water cooled one for $500 additional bucks.


If you love the Vega Frontier Edition card I would get one now to secure it, it is dramatically faster than my dual GTX 760s that have served me well.


I actually never update from a Beta to the Consumer edition of OS X. I do a fresh install of the consumer editions of OS X.


Please stay updated the news is getting better everyday!
 
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
86
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K OC@5.1 GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook
Did you update Clover?
I clean installed using the same r4184 that I used for Public Beta6, which led the firmware error under Beta6 if my windows SSD was connected. Seems that the firmware error was a bug in Apple's code. I'll note that for the first couple of High Sierra Betas, I didn't get any firmware issues at all with my windows NVME connected. So I'm hoping the next betas and ultimately the final release no longer have this problem.
 
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
86
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K OC@5.1 GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook
If I don't upgrade the partition from JHFS+ to APFS, do I have to worry about "unable to update firmware" error?
I got the "unable to update firmware" error no matter the kind of partition schema I used (HFS+ or APFS) for some of the prior betas. Seems that Apple has fixed whatever bug it was that was introduced into their installer code.
 
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
90
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 1151
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8 gb
Hey Eightball8!


Here are the main components to the rig:

* GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 1151

* Intel I7-7700K

* AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB

* Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

* SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe

* OWC 240GB Mercury Accelsior E2 (Old Stock)(Newer PCIe Cards are faster & less costly)

* 500 GB SSD Scandisk

* TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps

* SABRENT AU-EMAC USB EXTERNAL STEREO SOUND ADAPTER

* Dual Seiki Pro 28” 4K Monitors


I am anticipative of the potential of this rig!


I have it running except that the Audio, (USB 3 ports) and Ethernet needing kexts to operate. I don’t have Thunderbolt components to test.


I used temporary hardware solutions for the WIFI & Audio. The WIFI Card & Audio USB adapter work OOB plug and play. If you must have a Ethernet an Apple dongle works fine.


I will share my settings and steps I took to get where I am soon. There are a few issues that have to be addressed and we are waiting for the Public Release of High Sierra Consumer edition in the App Store and a version of UniBeast, MultibBeast that will be for High Sierra. MultiBeast for Sierra wouldn’t display my NVMe drive as an option to install and EFI. EFI Mounter wouldn’t either. I don’t know if this is because it is formatted APFS, or because they are specifically for Sierra. But Clover Configurator mounted the EFI.


So yes I would wait until the Public Release of High Sierra Consumer edition in the App Store and full support comes from Hackintosh sites.


Any Vega Card should work out the box in High Sierra. Though they are scarce supply for the 64s and recently released 56s, which will likely go up in price also. The Vega Frontier Edition card has been available for $999 since release and should still be in stock due to its price, but with the scarcity and price hiking of other Vega Cards it’s becoming more attractive and might be hard to get, until the fever for them fades. PLEASE NOTE the Frontier Edition does run HOT. But the other option is the water cooled one for $500 additional bucks.


If you love the Vega Frontier Edition card I would get one now to secure it, it is dramatically faster than my dual GTX 760s that have served me well.


I actually never update from a Beta to the Consumer edition of OS X. I do a fresh install of the consumer editions of OS X.


Please stay updated the news is getting better everyday!
Awesome, thanks for all the details.

Okay, now I get the relationship between official release and UniBeast/MultiBeast that is designed for the Public release.

What's the time (usually) between the public release and updated UniBeast/MultiBeast?

Parts are starting to pile up on the corner of my desk, and I'm not sure I'm that patient!?!

Thanks for the help.
 
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
80
Motherboard
ASUS Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Awesome, thanks for all the details.

Okay, now I get the relationship between official release and unibeast/multibeast that is designed for the Public release.

What's the time (usually) between the public release and updated unibeast/multibeast?

Parts are starting to pile up on the corner of my desk and I'm not sure I'm that patient!?!

Thanks for the help.
Eightball8 If you already are getting parts, then list the parts here and go ahead with the Beta to get functionality, with the potential unstableness of Betas minus the (Thunderbolt & USB 3 Ports), until The Consumer Release. Yes Multibeast and Unibeast usually are released very soon after OS X consumer releases. I would also make two Boot Drives and use one for tinkering and tweaking OS X and the other as a reserve to install the consumer release coming in a few weeks—hopefully!

Also List your parts in your "Personal Details" Profile and any additional builds parts in "Settings, Build Signature"
 
Top