Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey could please tell me how to remove the previously added clover boot entry?
Is it a simple "bcfg boot rm"? or do i need to use the whole path into cloverx64.efi?
It's just 'bcfg boot rm' + boot order

It's just 'bcfg boot rm' + boot order

Awesome thank you.

The thing is that i've configured my build to be exclusively a 1 device system only.
Basically i don't really need any extra boot options because technically i should have just 1 and nothing more.
All of my system and files are on 1 m.2 SSD from now on, the system is super tidy and clean this way and quite light, if not considering the PSU. i also disabled all of the other SATA ports on the motherboard via the BIOS.
Later on if i decide to upgrade to a larger SSD ill just reinstall the OS.

The issue for me was that macOS really really liked being on just one drive, for example software like Logic Pro X will NOT install
on a drive other than the main OS drive, and even while i can make a symbolic link and try to force it and install it else where
all of the libraries still require the home folder, and using symbolic links for them is just extremely buggy, software loads very slow and sometimes gives an error.

Awesome thank you.

The thing is that i've configured my build to be exclusively a 1 device system only.
Basically i don't really need any extra boot options because technically i should have just 1 and nothing more.
All of my system and files are on 1 m.2 SSD from now on, the system is super tidy and clean this way and quite light, if not considering the PSU. i also disabled all of the other SATA ports on the motherboard via the BIOS.
Later on if i decide to upgrade to a larger SSD ill just reinstall the OS.

The issue for me was that macOS really really liked being on just one drive, for example software like Logic Pro X will NOT install
on a drive other than the main OS drive, and even while i can make a symbolic link and try to force it and install it else where
all of the libraries still require the home folder, and using symbolic links for them is just extremely buggy, software loads very slow and sometimes gives an error.
Well technically you should have 2 as you have 2 copies of the Clover executable on your boot drive, but as long as it boots one way or the other thats the main thing.

Well technically you should have 2 as you have 2 copies of the Clover executable on your boot drive, but as long as it boots one way or the other thats the main thing.
Are you talking about CLOVERX64 and BOOTX64 ?

Yes, same file.

I never quite understood after reading that document you gave me how exactly UEFI works. I keep thinking that the BIOS is a step when i turn on the computer.
Im kinda getting lost in figuring out what step comes first, like i know the scheme but what throws me off is that how
do i have the boot options which i configure in the CLOVERX64 step (which is the EFI?) appear at startup, before the EFI is loaded.

UEFI > CLOVERX64 > OS

Or am i getting something wrong?

how do i have the boot options which i configure in the CLOVERX64 step (which is the EFI?) appear at startup, before the EFI is loaded.
The EFI starts as soon as you switch on, choosing the 'boot device' in firmware settings is unhelpfully reminiscent of the menus/interfaces of legacy BIOS firmwares, however underneath it is using the same entries/EFI variables you see from the 'bcfg' command in EFI shell.

The EFI starts as soon as you switch on, choosing the 'boot device' in firmware settings is unhelpfully reminiscent of the menus/interfaces of legacy BIOS firmwares, however underneath it is using the same entries/EFI variables you see from the 'bcfg' command in EFI shell.

Ok that makes sense, but i also makes no sense why manufacturers persist on keeping legacy terminology on new software on new hardware.
If users are buying the latest Gigabyte or Asus or Asrock boards looking for as much of the newest features as possible like
USB type C, all the latest and greatest in SSD technology and all that comes with it, why would manufacturers even dare assume
that somebody, some where will say "Hey... I'm going to install Windows 98 on this beast"

omg, that was the worst upgrade i remember on (PC) hackintosh ;(
I had a problems with upgrade supplemental update(couldn't finish installation) so i downloaded whole source from AppStore(supplemental included) and prepared USB again with:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction && say macOS Sierra beta installed to usb
with latest Clover and kext in Other:
Code:
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
EFI source in attachment for installation only.

After that i booted from USB, install system again(not fresh, just typical installation over files) and it worked... but couldn't boot from MacOS partition(finish installation) to system(restart loop etc). No boot flags worked, so i read somewhere that i should try without GFX and that was it(disabling in BIOS didn't help).

Finally i had to remove GFX GPU physically from motherboard and finish installation on iGPU.
After login i installed WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.117.pkg restarted PC and connected GFX again to motherboard.
Now everything works fine but i hope that future upgrades will be similar to these before HighSierra.

Attachments

• MaximusImpactVII.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
On a fresh build this update came very useful. It seemed to help post-installation run a lot smoother since it was the first thing I did after installation. I initially had a failed attempt on a non-updated Sierra install with a variety of obvious and less obvious issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back