Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Scott1204 Glad i could help man. This was just as hard on me.
But now we face a new threat, New drivers are out.

View attachment 286264

Ill try my luck now... i've did everything i could.
i'm backed up, so IM NOT AFRAID !!!!

Just made my self hear Eminem in my head.

I have never want to punch and drop kick a computer more in my life... everything was working fine. Trying to tweak SwitchRes, system wouldn’t boot. No problem, I have backups... so do a restore.

Back to black screen again...from a backup right after things worked. Seriously, ready to jump off that bridge now

I have never want to punch and drop kick a computer more in my life... everything was working fine. Trying to tweak SwitchRes, system wouldn’t boot. No problem, I have backups... so do a restore.

Back to black screen again...from a backup right after things worked. Seriously, ready to jump off that bridge now

I was searching for my solution for nearly a week.
my brain is really melted by now, you're not alone.

Honestly if there was a "one stop shop" tutorials that covered the most essentials in great informative detail and had all the info for expanding your knowledge we probably wouldn't be bashing our heads on the wall.

Most of the "descriptions" for kexts are like this:
Name.kext - Fixes APCC on HH3.
Oh really? you don't say....

No wonder I'm going around this forum asking dumb questions, because nothing is explained.

I was searching for my solution for nearly a week.
my brain is really melted by now, you're not alone.

Honestly if there was a "one stop shop" tutorials that covered the most essentials in great informative detail and had all the info for expanding your knowledge we probably wouldn't be bashing our heads on the wall.

Most of the "descriptions" for kexts are like this:
Name.kext - Fixes APCC on HH3.
Oh really? you don't say....

No wonder I'm going around this forum asking dumb questions, because nothing is explained.

I hear you...
And with Nvidia, there seems to be several solutions which are all different...

Overall, High Sierra has been the worst to upgrade. I think I’m back now...my BIOS decided to randomly change some graphics settings which does wonders for a delicate update process.

Hello, yes I have with my GTX 1080 low performance, when I use a 4K monitor with HiPi the UI is working slow, I fix a bit using the new NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext 1.20.0, I don't know if Geekbench fix it or the nvidia web drivers but OpenCL test works and finish with the new Supplementary update, but I tried the vga with programs and games and it works perfect (better that Sierra) but no with the UI...

No way to help you without any proper information about your actual installation!

Is any one experiencing trying to install and then abruptly aborting and restarting to clover boot screen? There is no error, warning, nothing.

I have a dual boot setup and not using APFS (obviously). Updating to latest Clover version and trying, but not sure that'll fix anything.

I see "Installing Software Update: About a minute". Mid way through...BOOM. Clover 4243 in use.

Sorry. I solved my problem with new nvidiafixup.

Last edited:
Hey bro, I just installed update for High Sierra, i also installed new web driver but i forgot to re-install nvidialibvar.kext.
Now i can't boot into HS.
If I boot with nv_disable=1, i get boot loop at "IOconsole user..."
If I boot with nvda_drv=1, i get blackscreen.
Can anyone help me to boot into HS, plz. I think I need to re-install nvidialibvar.kext (like what I do when update to HS at the first time)

In case there is no solution, do you know any software which can read APFS in windows? I need my data

Can you boot safe mode with -x ?

Also, checkout this post
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-on-high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/

You’ll want to use the latest Lilu and NvidiaFixup kexts but not nvidialibvar...it can actually cause a reboot loop since the things it patches are already in the other kexts. I struggled for weeks on this with constant reboot and black screen issues. Once I did the steps in the post, my 1080Ti worked.

It will take some trial and error.

Can you boot safe mode with -x ?

Also, checkout this post
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-on-high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/

You’ll want to use the latest Lilu and NvidiaFixup kexts but not nvidialibvar...it can actually cause a reboot loop since the things it patches are already in the other kexts. I struggled for weeks on this with constant reboot and black screen issues. Once I worked through the steps in the post, my 1080Ti worked.

It will take some trial and error.
I didn't know that nvidiafixup was upgraded, i downloaded and installed the new one and it works now.

Is any one experiencing trying to install and then abruptly aborting and restarting to clover boot screen? There is no error, warning, nothing.

I have a dual boot setup and not using APFS (obviously). Updating to latest Clover version and trying, but not sure that'll fix anything.

I see "Installing Software Update: About a minute". Mid way through...BOOM. Clover 4243 in use.

Yes, have the same problem with ASUS laptop (no nvidia stuff just Intel HD4400). Luckily, it doesn't do anything other than abort the update and do a restart. There is a message after rebooting that update failed with no details, just an offer to update again.

Same configuration. Dual boot, no APFS.

For now, my solution is to just hide the update (right click in the App Store update item and select Hide) since I don't think this update is anything I really need. Will wait to see if the next major update runs into the same problem to have to do something and/or the problem has been diagnosed with a guaranteed fix that isn't related to use of nvidia drivers.

Update: I was able to do the update using the same procedure as for the install. Clone the partition to external drive, update that partition with standalone supplemental update installer that allows you to select a target, boot to that external drive after update (there may be issues unless cache is rebuilt, my backlight kext wasn't working and there were video glitches until the cache was rebuilt), make sure everything is OK and then clone back. The problem may be the dual partition which the High Sierra installer has a problem with as well.

PS: I also tried booting to the external drive and then running the supplemental update on the internal drive which is now offline but that install also failed. Cloning back works fine. Seems like the new installers don't like multiple partitions or lack of Recovery partition on the target drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back