Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, OK, you might be fine.

Through app store, it automatically installed. The second it finished downloading for me, said thing was I realized "oh crap this is a terrible idea" when it happened, and I remembered it'd probably change build number and break stuff.. Although I imagined starting up into an unaccelerated desktop, not a kernel panic loop. That's new. If 10.13 is going to be that fickle, I'll just remove the drivers before any update going forward to ensure I don't have to boot into backups.

Ah, OK, you might be fine.

Through app store, it automatically installed. The second it finished downloading for me, said thing was I realized "oh crap this is a terrible idea" when it happened, and I remembered it'd probably change build number and break stuff.. Although I imagined starting up into an unaccelerated desktop, not a kernel panic loop. That's new. If 10.13 is going to be that fickle, I'll just remove the drivers before any update going forward to ensure I don't have to boot into backups.
You’re right. I just rebooted and it shows updating with the Apple logo and progress bar saying 15 minutes. To my amazement 2 minutes in, I see the box to insert my password. It worked, I am on 10.13 with Nvidia graphics enabled.

I don't know what happened there?! Still in 17A365. I am going to reboot again and see what happens. I replaced the Clover apfs.efi with the new one.

Update: After reboot it doesn't say updating anymore, it just boots normally into 10.13. Phewww I thought I wouldn't have a system for tonight or possibly longer.
I have a MacBook Pro Retina but all my stuff is in this hack.

Sound is broken. It has inputs and outputs, but no sound.

I still cant update APFS system. First I installed 915MB after restart I choose primary drive and I still seeing 422MB on App Store. I installed it and restart again and this time I choose "Boot MacOS install from High Sierra" in verbose mode and its stuck. Here is the verbose screen;

DSC_3067.JPG

For me wouldn't even boot, just kernel panicked with the previous web drivers. Had to go to integrated graphics until there's an update. Couldn't disable the web driver either, had to disable the the whole card.

For me nv_disable=1 worked. I switch to windows until there are new drivers.

You’re right. I just rebooted and it shows updating with the apple logo and progress bar saying 15 minutes. To my amazement 2 minutes in I see the box to insert my password. It worked, I am on 10.13 with Nvidia graphics enabled.
I don't know what happened there?! Still in 17A365. I am going to reboot again and see what happens. I replaced the clover apfs.efi with the new one.

Update: After reboot it doesn't say updating anymore, it just boots normally into 10.13. Phewww I thought I wouldn't have a system for tonight or possibly longer.
I have a MacBook Pro retina but all my stuff is in this hack.
It created a new partition that's probably still sitting there. You have to reboot into THAT partition to finish update. You likely rebooted back into main boot drive skipping the second half of install.

Well here is interesting info. The Nvidia web driver we all know checks build number, and, if it doesn't match, passes off to Apple's Nvidia loader. At this point, a panic occurs for some reason in Apple's driver (as seen in backtrace above). Uninstalling the Nvidia web driver fixes it. But, there is another fix my testing has revealed. Actually editing the driver to force it to load on new update also STILL WORKS. I'm using web driver again with no panic.. that's quite ironic really. The very check in driver designed to prevent instability by refusing to load, is actual cause of panic. FORCING the driver to load anyways by editing that build number resolves that panic. HA!. I think Nvidia at very least should look into why it's not peacefully handing off to stock driver without causing a panic.

Well here is interesting info. The Nvidia web driver we all know checks build number, and, if it doesn't match, passes off to Apple's Nvidia loader. At this point, a panic occurs for some reason in Apple's driver (as seen in backtrace above). Uninstalling the Nvidia web driver fixes it. But, there is another fix my testing has revealed. Actually editing the driver to force it to load on new update also STILL WORKS. I'm using web driver again with no panic.. that's quite ironic really. The very check in driver designed to prevent instability by refusing to load, is actual cause of panic. FORCING the driver to load anyways by editing that build number resolves that panic. HA!. I think Nvidia at very least should look into why it's not peacefully handing off to stock driver without causing a panic
That's great news. So are you using the update with the Nvidia drivers then? Did you just change the build number like before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back