4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So this weekend while I was busy trying to upgrade OC and test Big Sur 11.6 & Monterey 12.4 on my Atari VCS, I had noticed something very peculiar - that one of my drives simply wouldn't boot or be detected by the VCS BIOS after I updated the EFI on it. In fact the drive would spend over a minute trying to read or write data as it booted, like as if it was struggling to do so.

Up until this point, I had been trying to boot into Monterey and I had always assumed it was something wrong or missing with my EFI settings that caused this to happen. However this wasn't the case. The reason being this was an identical copy of a drive I knew was working earlier with Big Sur 11.6 on OC 0.7.8. I had simply made a dupe of it on a USB dock cloner (in the hopes of using the System Pref updater to get it to Monterey separate from the other Big Sur drive).

The drives and cases used were a Crucial BX500, a ADATA SU650 and a Orico clear Superspeed USB case & USB3 USB-C case. I had discovered to my surprise that the cloned ADATA SU650 drive (with Big Sur) would not boot or be detected on the Orico Superspeed case but did work and boot in the USB3 USB-C case. In fact the name of the ADATA drive would appear in the VCS boot manager but would never under the SS case.

I tested this also with the BX500 with Monterey installed - and the same thing occurred (drive not booting on either Orico cases) although the BX500 seems to be incompatible with macos or even OC (the bootloader shows up intermittently). In fact for a few times before I've had to reboot the Crucial drive once or twice just to get it to boot and see the EFI. Despite doing this, Monterey never boots.

So this made me led to believe - there ARE significant differences with some drives - even USB cases - that work with macOS.

So I was wondering if anyone has had the same issues as me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back