Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina Cleanup: Remove Kexts From /Library/Extensions and Recache

Not necessary. :) Updated Clover from version 5102 to 5120 and everything went great!
Thank you for your help! :thumbup:
which is what i mentioned above....

I installed 10.15.7 on an old guard machine BUT it panics on boot, I think this might be the reason. I couldn't see what exactly causes it....

Update: Oh yes, if you are seeing a quick kernel panic, it's likely caused by 3rd party kexts in L/E. I moved them all out and now the boot progresses over those. (I'm specifically referring to a migrated installation, I want my apps and config as they were).

I updated to Catalina without tidying up the EFI folder, and found this guide in retrospect.
But alas, the damage is done :

the still-Mojave-named boot from Clover launches the Apple logo, and the load animation goes all the way and gives me hope, but then moves on to a black screen.
Same happens when launching recovery installs from Clover.

It could be that there are redundant or misplaced kexts in my EFI, and putting all kexts in the /other folder seems like a potential fix to this.
I would like to get a shot at fixing this before I just delete everything and go for a fresh install.
But I forgot the options available for moving around kexts when the only thing that seems to run properly is Clover (v 5149)

My questions at this stage :

1. Is there a way to move kexts around from Clover shell ? or build a USB boot that could run hackintool in order to do so ?

2. Should I finish (yes I already started) the OpenCore USB boot for a fresh install of Monterey instead ? Think I also need to fix USB mapping/inject first but it's another story.

thanks in advance for your answers

I updated to Catalina without tidying up the EFI folder, and found this guide in retrospect.
But alas, the damage is done :

the still-Mojave-named boot from Clover launches the Apple logo, and the load animation goes all the way and gives me hope, but then moves on to a black screen.
Same happens when launching recovery installs from Clover.

It could be that there are redundant or misplaced kexts in my EFI, and putting all kexts in the /other folder seems like a potential fix to this.
I would like to get a shot at fixing this before I just delete everything and go for a fresh install.
But I forgot the options available for moving around kexts when the only thing that seems to run properly is Clover (v 5149)

My questions at this stage :

1. Is there a way to move kexts around from Clover shell ? or build a USB boot that could run hackintool in order to do so ?

2. Should I finish (yes I already started) the OpenCore USB boot for a fresh install of Monterey instead ? Think I also need to fix USB mapping/inject first but it's another story.

thanks in advance for your answers
do this in terminal:

Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

any kext that appears are most likely hackintosh kexts

move them to clover/kexts/other

only have one folder in kexts folder called other

remove all other folders from kext folder

keep all your kexts clover/kexts/other

Back