Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
@esafeddie I fully agree with your explanation on timeout, mine is set at 5 seconds, the default with an opencore installation, giving one ample time to select another opsys, other than the default, in an opencanopy multi boot environment. My explanation mainly covered upgrading Big Sur, or rather any compatible macOS for that matter, without intervention, in other words unattended.
As far as power management is concerned I try and stick to Apple's default method which can obviously be accomplished in various ways. Some many moons ago @RehabMan discovered that Apple's way of enabling power management is controlled by setting one simple variable "plugin-type" to 0x1 in the IOregistry, and voila that was it. With Clover it was quite easy to accomplish this particular feat, obviating the need for any SSDT.aml to assist in setting "plugin-type" to 0x1. With opencore I reverted back to utilising an SSDT, namely SSDT-PLUG.aml, set up as per @Dortania 's excellent guide, to achieve the same simple and straight forward power management objective, on the same basis that Apple controls this feature. To me anything else, which nowadays is still used quite extensibly, seems a derivative of Piker Alpha's original method, which was a forerunner to what @RehabMan discovered, making Piker Alpha's method redundant. "Old habits die hard" When configuring a hack with less one most often accomplishes more. Nowadays, in order to stay within the limit of 15 USB ports per controller, I am using Hackintool, but before that I used my own method, gleaned from somebody on one or other forum, achieving the same thing. Some time after Hackintool's USB generation routines had matured I opted to switch to that tool in order to create and or refresh the various USBPorts.kexts, in operation on my system. No other kexts play a role in managing my USB ports requirements with the systems I use, it all depends exclusively on this one and only USBPorts.kext.

OH before I forget, when I am having a bit more time I intend to investigate how one can perhaps enable "plugin-type" to 0x1 in the IOregistry without the use of the SSDT-PLUG.aml in the opencore ACPI folder, but I am not actually in a hurry, if it ain't broken don't go overboard to fix it, there are more important issues that still require my attention, one is fixing my Phantom 4 Pro of which the gimbal caught fire the other day, the ribbon cable has turned to charcoal. Wipe my tears :mad::banghead:

Greeting Henties

Attachments

• Screenshot AGPM control  plugin-type 1.png
    Screenshot AGPM control plugin-type 1.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
@dutals-acctg Here you go with Platforminfo --> Generic removed. System definition iMac 17,1.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 217
  • 31064626.png
    31064626.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 93
@Henties - 100% spot on with your USB port limit assessment for OS X, you and I belong to the old @RehabMan school of achieving proper power management and USB port limit as per OS X.
So much has changed with almost everything in Big Sur that one has to approach it with perhaps a different mindset.

My downfall is constantly tinkering and tweaking (it comes with retirement and having bugger all else to do when I can't go flying my toys :lol:. Sorry to hear about the Phantom, I feel your pain) my setup. Few weeks ago in my so called perfect setup, my Gigabyte board would lose all power to the every USB port after an hour or so.

Never had or come across this problem which drove me absolutely crazy questioning and re-hatching everything, Port kext, config.plist, you name it. Got to find out it was a Gigabyte BIOS bug that would just manifest it self suddenly after running trouble free for years.

With the new BIOS j update - touch wood - so far, no further problem on that score.

Last edited:
I am sorry that I can only provide help for hardware that I own or which is close to that which I actually own, a MSI 110 M is just too far removed from what I am experienced with and know something about. The gimbal spares I already got, just a matter of getting down to actually doing the repairs.

Greetings Henties

A couple of Screenshots to show my achievement to have a multi-boot setup to suit my needs. :)
As I said before all booting of a single Opencore EFI Folder on the Big Sur EFI Partition.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 10.39.28 copy.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 10.39.28 copy.png
    566.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Win10 Screenshot.png
    Win10 Screenshot.png
    302.1 KB · Views: 113
Since the latest update (which, by the way, was painless), I see my drives listed multiple times like this:

1604407416669.png

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

@esafeddie - just saw your post on leaving this forum. Hope you re-think this buddy. Guys like you are an asset to the forum. I sincerely hope you stay!

Since the latest update (which, by the way, was painless), I see my drives listed multiple times like this:

View attachment 494036

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

@esafeddie - just saw your post on leaving this forum. Hope you re-think this buddy. Guys like you are an asset to the forum. I sincerely hope you stay!
Yea I had a rethink after speaking with Admin - Are the drives showing up like this at the Boot Menu or Desktop? I must admit I have never come across this. What version OC and if it is OC are you using 'Builtin' or 'External' along with Open Canopy?

Yea I had a rethink after speaking with Admin - Are the drives showing up like this at the Boot Menu or Desktop? I must admit I have never come across this. What version OC and if it is OC are you using 'Builtin' or 'External' along with Open Canopy?
Good to see you're still here @esafeddie. Glad you changed your mind. As for @brainstormer's screenshot, that looks like a Finder window sidebar. I've had duplicate drives show up there and it usually is an easy fix to just right-click on one of the entries and choose "Remove from sidebar" to fix it as they don't reappear - at least for me. If it's the OC boot screen then I can't say as I'm a noob as far as OpenCore and OpenCanopy are concerned.

Good to see you're still here @esafeddie. Glad you changed your mind. As for @brainstormer's screenshot, that looks like a Finder window sidebar. I've had duplicate drives show up there and it usually is an easy fix to just right-click on one of the entries and choose "Remove from sidebar" to fix it as they don't reappear - at least for me. If it's the OC boot screen then I can't say as I'm a noob as far as OpenCore and OpenCanopy are concerned.
Thank you for the sentiment also for the analysis of our friend's problem as I am completely puzzled by it, hope your tip solves his problem as I am definitely intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back