Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a multi-booting setup, as advised by Henties, insure your EFI Folder is properly configured e.g in the config.plist, Scan Policy should be set to zero (0) value and not the OC default value, if left unchanged it will only show the OC volume at the Boot Menu...

Ok, so I have a couple of questions here:

1. Since I now know that we need only one EFI volume, what do I do? Keep the EFI partition on Big Sur and delete the EFI partition from the other (Catalina) drive, or just the EFI folder from Catalina's EFI partition?

2. Say, I have the Big Sur Beta working fine right now, and if I want to install Big Sur Final release on a brand new disk later, how do I do it without creating an EFI partition.

Sorry, if my questions are a bit noobish.

Oh, and also, I have never managed to get the Boot chime ever despite following the Dortania guide to a T. Any suggestions there?

1. Since I now know that we need only one EFI volume, what do I do? Keep the EFI partition on Big Sur and delete the EFI partition from the other (Catalina) drive, or just the EFI folder from Catalina's EFI partition?

2. Say, I have the Big Sur Beta working fine right now, and if I want to install Big Sur Final release on a brand new disk later, how do I do it without creating an EFI partition.

Oh, and also, I have never managed to get the Boot chime ever despite following the Dortania guide to a T. Any suggestions there?
You can kill a cat in many ways. I prefer to have my singular EFI based boot loader resident on a neutral EFI partition, such as a GPT formated drive used exclusively for data storage only. That EFI partition is empty and an ideal candidate to host the boot loader.
The advantage with this scheme is that you can now install as many macOS systems with empty EFI folders that your system can accommodate. With a properly configured config.plist folder, each of your drives with a compatible maxOS system, will now be selectable and bootable with that singular EFI folder hosted by your GPT formatted data disk.
An alternative method would be to stick a small memory stick GPT, prepared so that it has an EFI folder with your only system wide boot loader on into an empty USB port, preferably USB-3, and you are golden once again. Both methods are very light on maintenance and a breeze to set up. The discovery of your bootable installations, this is what it is all about, only needs one boot loader in your system, and it can be anywhere you like. If it does not discover any of your bootable installations in a valid position you have chosen for it, then it is also unlikely that it will be able to boot the particular opsys when you place the boot loader into the EFI partition hosted by the HDD/SDD/NVE on which the operating system is resident.
An additional advantage of this approach is that you can add an remove opsyses as and when the need arises providing a far greater flexibility that cannot be achieved otherwise,

Greetings Henties

1. Ideally the EFI Folder should be on the EFI Partition of BS and delete the others.

2. To create a USB install drive, of course you'll need an EFI Folder on the partition of the USB drive so the logical thing to do would be, copy over the EFI F older from BS onto the USB drive, Job done.

3. About Boot Chime - Use Hackintool to output your PCI Devices and upload it here along with your config.plist (remove all your personal data from config.plist before posting) I will take a look.

@brainstormer - If you fancy setting up Boot Chime your self, use Hackintool to find your audio values and follow the example attached. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 15.10.34.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 15.10.34.png
    209 KB · Views: 100
@brainstormer - If you fancy setting up Boot Chime your self, use Hackintool to find your audio values and follow the example attached. Good luck.
Thank you so much. I have deleted the extra EFI folders. Regarding bootchime, this is what I had, and it looks similar to yours, but I have never heard a chime:

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 10.39.39 PM.png

1602955286972.png

Thank you so much. I have deleted the extra EFI folders. Regarding bootchime, this is what I had, and it looks similar to yours, but I have never heard a chime:

View attachment 492166

View attachment 492167
Your config.plist looks correct for sound, just insure this box is checked (see pic) also check your speaker connection is to the green audio output at the back of the case (elementary stuff I know but just incase). One last important rule, when you update to latest OC version do not just update the config.plist but the Resources Folder and Drivers Folder as well. Don't forget any changes made, reboot and clean NVRAM.

I have attached my working OC EFI Folder version 0.6.3 everything works perfectly, all kexts are up to date with latest versions. You will have to insert your personal data into the config.plist, the Mac model is for a iMac Pro (2017) but you can also change that to the model you're running. I strongly suggest to try this EFI Folder on a test USB and boot off it before committing it to your main system drive. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 20.53.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 20.53.45.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 83
@esafeddie I have the same problem that @brainstormer is struggling with, I believe my system sound, as well as the startup chime feature, is setup correctly. For me it is not essential to get it working, will however monitor the progress of your engagement on this issue with @brainstormer and will then decide if I wish to pursue this matter further. In the end it just remains a non essential gimmick.

Greetings Henties

@esafeddie I have the same problem that @brainstormer is struggling with, I believe my system sound, as well as the startup chime feature, is setup correctly. For me it is not essential to get it working, will however monitor the progress of your engagement on this issue with @brainstormer and will then decide if I wish to pursue this matter further. In the end it just remains a non essential gimmick.

Greetings Henties
I am a stickler for details, if I am to emulate the characteristics of a real Mac, the dogged attitude kicks in until it's achieved.:lol:

I am a stickler for details, if I am to emulate the characteristics of a real Mac, the dogged attitude kicks in until it's achieved.:lol:
I am in the same boat, however at the moment my priorities do not permit me to spend too much time on this particular issue.

Greetings Henties

I am in the same boat, however at the moment my priorities do not permit me to spend too much time on this particular issue.

Greetings Henties
Ah now that's where you and I differ, with early retirement I have all the time in the world split between this and my other passion of flying my collection of drones. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back