Contribute
Register

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my new EVGA GTX 650 Ti in Thunderball. Followed tonymacx86's instructions.

Uniengine Heaven benchmark.

38288-unigine-heaven-gtx-650-ti.jpg

LuxMark 2.0 benchmark.
38291-luxmark-650-ti-1gb.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using 12C2034 now.
But after matching the NVDAGK100.kext, there is no difference between 12C3006 and 12C2034.

And I can't get update, even change to MBP or MBA.
So, I thought it's no necessary upgrade to 12C3006 if u already updated to 12C2034.
Maybe HD4000's user can got better.

Or, anyone knows difference?

Ugh, installed (after I changed my smbios to MacBookAir5,2).

Now it won't boot. I noticed that it placed Nvidia and Bluetooth kexts in /S/L/E, which I took out before to make ML boot. Took those out, but now it sits at the part right before the login screen comes up. I have verbose mode turned on, and it will put up messages if I plug/unplug my USB drive at this stage, but won't go any further. Any ideas?

I think I need to go back to the previous versions of the kexts, but wondering how I would do that from terminal (I can boot into the USB install and fire up terminal, which is how I removed the Nvidia and BT kexts just now).

Would be great if someone had instructions on how to "manually construct" a USB drive with ML--not the installer, but an actual running ML so I can more easily work on recovering the previous version of the kexts?

Does anyone know if this update did anything more than just update the kexts?

Hackintosh Nvidia GT 640 CUDA Driver version 5.0.3.7 update

I prepare youtube Hackintosh Nvidia GT 640 CUDA Driver version 5.0.3.7 update - YouTube tutorial how to pdate CUDA Driver to version 5.0.3.7

After update GT 640 Nvidia driver to version 304.10.20f04 with new Apple release MacBook Air/MacBook Pro Update 2.0 (more info here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIoDHaLHe1Q), Nvidia update CUDA Driver too from version 5.0.3.6 to version 5.0.3.7

So actually on my mackintosh OS X 10.8.2 with Nvidia GT 640 is:
CUDA Driver version 5.0.3.7
GPU Driver Version 8.6.22 304.10.20f04

more info and many many thanks to TonyMac: http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/79108-macbook-air-macbook-pro-update-2-0-a.html

Cinebench result: OpenGL rise from 36.75 fps to 37.52 fps, no much but its increase ...

Cinebench before and after upgrade CUDA drivers:

cinebench.jpgcinebench2.jpg
My Hackintosh spec: OS X 10.8.2
Chipset - Intel H61 Express chipset
Motherboard - GA-H61N-USB3 rev. 1.0 Bios F8
CPU - Intel Core i5-2380P 3.09 GHz, Socket 1155 Sandy Bridge
HDD - WD Velociraptor 320 GB 10.000 rpm 7 Watts
VGA - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3 (GV-N6400C-2GI rev.1.0) Kepler GK107
RAM - 2x4 GB 1333 MHz
Audio - Realtek ALC889
LAN - Realtek RTL8111E
USB 3.0 - Fresco FL1009 chip

Attachments

• geekbench.jpg
    geekbench.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 665
  • geekbench2.jpg
    geekbench2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 399
I got the update to work, but I noticed there is a new kext for NVidia cards, called NVStartup.kext. Anyone know what it is for? I tried google, but not to much on it. It also kept my system from booting up when I reinstalled the Nvidia 10.8.2 kexts (f02). I had to delete it, to boot my system. (my card wasn't displayed correctly with the newer kexts (f04), and there was no performance difference, mostly cosmetic).

Ugh, installed (after I changed my smbios to MacBookAir5,2).

Now it won't boot. I noticed that it placed Nvidia and Bluetooth kexts in /S/L/E, which I took out before to make ML boot. Took those out, but now it sits at the part right before the login screen comes up. I have verbose mode turned on, and it will put up messages if I plug/unplug my USB drive at this stage, but won't go any further. Any ideas?

I think I need to go back to the previous versions of the kexts, but wondering how I would do that from terminal (I can boot into the USB install and fire up terminal, which is how I removed the Nvidia and BT kexts just now).

Would be great if someone had instructions on how to "manually construct" a USB drive with ML--not the installer, but an actual running ML so I can more easily work on recovering the previous version of the kexts?

Does anyone know if this update did anything more than just update the kexts?

What you would do... Startup with your UniBeast Installer disk, and instead of installing Mountain Lion to your internal HD, you would install it to the USB drive you want to use, you can also use a large enough USB flash drive.

Then you need to Install MultiBeast on the freshly installed USB drive, and add all of the 3rd party recovery and system utilities you would want on this "Portable Mac System"

Does that make seance? It should... very straight forward, you've already done it once before, only this time its on a USB flash drive.

Good Luck,

-Mrengles

PS. Ive done something similar to this, I have a Folder with ALL of the tonymacx86 downloads, and other Hackintosh tools that I would need incase of a disaster. You can even save some of the guide and instructions you've used in PDF to this drive incase you loose access to the internet. You'll be able to redo your CustoMac in a war zone after this! =)

Again Good luck.

I, too, continue to experience random freezes with my GTX 550 Ti graphics card. Also, my Graphic Converter version 8.3.1 malfunctions when I run slide show.

Looks like Apple's pulled this update for now. We'll see if these drivers turn up in 10.8.3.

I surely hope they pulled it.

My experience with 12C3006 :

I was at the library, where I usually work from time to time. I connect to their wifi all the time, and have done so many times since I got my MacBook pro a month back. I saw the update come up in the app store, so I went ahead and installed it. I briefly read about it being something specifically for certain Macbook Air and Pro models, so I was like great... I have had a problem with a wireless mouse that worked with a previous Mac Mini, not working with this macbook pro, so was hoping that would magically begin to work.

After the installation it rebooted, and now.... now I can't connect to the wireless internet at the library. It's an unsecured network which just requires you to click to connect, and all my devices have connected there just fine -- including this macbook pro previously.

Now after several calls to Apple and numerous attempts and trying to troubleshoot the problem, I realized that this was a "firmware" update. So now... there is no way for me to go back. Even booting from the partition with 10.8 holding down Option key yields the same issue.

Others with older macs with 10.8.2 connect here at the library just fine. But I'm lucky enough to have the newer macbook pro with a nice little firmware update that's screwed me royally.

My advice to anyone who has not updated yet - don't. I don't recognize anything that's improved, only the loss of my ability to connect to several wifi hotspot networks. But if you want some headaches, have at it.

I couldn't even get an Apple support guy to agree that the firmware update was the issue, so can't imagine it's likely to be fixed... This might have been my last Apple computer purchase, the support on this issue has been "useless".

Ok, another update became available this past week, I think it was the 23rd. Magically I am able to to once again connect to wifi with no problem. The update says that it's a keychain update, but my gut tells me that it was actually another firmware update. Before this update, when booting to 10.8 on my recovery drive it still didn't work, so it couldn't have been a keychain issue with the update that rendered it broken.

Kind of sucks that Apple was so deceptive about the root of this issue and what really was fixed in this update. I'd say that it's safe to update now, as I've experienced no other problems with this latest update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back