Contribute
Register

Mac Pro Replica - OEM Fan - Build log

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to know something that you never say: Is this replica bigger than the real Mac Pro? I guess that it is bigger, but I don't know how much bigger

Awesome project and awesome work, it is really impressive how you made all from almost zero :clap::clap:

It's quite a bit taller and maybe about an inch bigger in diameter.

Here's a mock up of about how much bigger compared to a mac pro. This comparison is based on the top fan size as it's the same across both. The perspective is different but this'll give you a decent idea.

The 3d printed base isn't as shallow as the mac pro and fitting a standard itx board and the psu gives quite a bit more height.

ehbh.jpg

The real mac pro can easily fit inside the trash can portion of the replica. I don't have measurements to compare the two though.

Have you been able to test fit the GPU in there yet? I had to give up on the 20mm rails not only because I didn't have a belt sander to profile them down to where they would fit, but they ate up too much space between them (at least on paper) and I couldn't fit the GPU between them.

I really like the 3D printed parts. That really makes the drive mount so much more professional.

why did you just use this case i used instead of build a custom one

Attachments

• macpro1.jpg
    macpro1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 950
  • mac pro2.jpg
    mac pro2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 878
  • macpro 3.jpg
    macpro 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 959
  • mac pro 4.jpg
    mac pro 4.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 962
Have you been able to test fit the GPU in there yet? I had to give up on the 20mm rails not only because I didn't have a belt sander to profile them down to where they would fit, but they ate up too much space between them (at least on paper) and I couldn't fit the GPU between them.

I really like the 3D printed parts. That really makes the drive mount so much more professional.

I didn't test fit a gpu in there at any point in the process. I did however just try out my R9 380 compact which is similar in size to the MSI 760.

It will fit barely but it's going to be too tall to put in an HDMI L adapter. The DVI port also adds just a touch too much length at 9.2 inches long. The width however is great. Pretty much exactly as wide as the card is at 6.5 inches. I believe with the right PCIE extender I can get it between the mobo mounting plate and one of the rails.

The R9 Nano would be perfect for that space I'm still holding my breath on when it can be used in a hack system though.

why did you just use this case i used instead of build a custom one

The fun and enjoyment for me is creating the case! Getting one of these, while it looks decent, doesn't satisfy my need to build one from scratch. That case doesn't make me think of a Mac Pro.

This is a great build and I can really appreciate the whole wanting to build it yourself.

I was wondering if there was a way to get the file you used for the 3D printed parts. There doesn't seem to be a clear way to get the base, PSU support, Mobo mount, and fan circle but could not find them on Shapeways. Any guidance for this would be greatly appreciated.

this work is really really good andd it features some genial soluion, like the antenna.

I have two questions though:

1. did you attache the project files for the top as well

2. why didnt you do it in metal instead of plastic?

I mean, with all the effort you guys endured, isn't metal stronger altogether?

this work is really really good andd it features some genial soluion, like the antenna.

I have two questions though:

1. did you attache the project files for the top as well

2. why didnt you do it in metal instead of plastic?

I mean, with all the effort you guys endured, isn't metal stronger altogether?

I may look into sharing the files on here with the authors permission. In the meantime you can check the other replica threads and find Bouly.

Metal would be amazing instead of plastic. It just really isn't an option because of how expensive it is to 3D print.
Using Shapeways like the original prints Raw Aluminum was 1500$ USD and Stainless steel was ~550$ USD

The internal parts are great And I have no problem with the material choice. It is the Strong & Flexible choice and it's really durable and holds up to its name. Metal would look cleaner but the plastic parts are far cheaper for this build

I may look into sharing the files on here with the authors permission. In the meantime you can check the other replica threads and find Bouly.

Metal would be amazing instead of plastic. It just really isn't an option because of how expensive it is to 3D print.
Using Shapeways like the original prints Raw Aluminum was 1500$ USD and Stainless steel was ~550$ USD

The internal parts are great And I have no problem with the material choice. It is the Strong & Flexible choice and it's really durable and holds up to its name. Metal would look cleaner but the plastic parts are far cheaper for this build

yes thanks for the answer.

I set up my first hackintosh some years ago.. back in 2007. I didnt register with this forum though, but the other one .. :)

anyway.

I don't know anything about prices yet, but I wasnt thinking of 3d metal printing.

I was thinking something more "traditional" ..

http://www.officinetampalini.it/piegatura_e_assemblaggio_lamiera.php

http://www.minifaber.com/complex-finished-and-assembled-products

I don't think they would have any trouble shaping whatever we need..

Me personally, I was thinking of building a mac pro replica case for my personal use, and if you guys like the idea we could work on it together.

Designing it together and then split production costs.

It would be a really nice experience I guess.

all these recent project that I've seen on this forum are mostly really really good like I said, (I mean these based on the original and the first one by JuanLobo) but there are points that really dont make it exactly as beautiful as it could be, the first one being the dimensions of course, and the shape.

It's quite big and the shape isnt exactly very "sexy" like tha mac pro is, if you know what i mean.

I am sure that if we group and work together we could work out something really really like "definitive"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back