2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am hoping to purchase a 2009 mac pro case i was hoping somebody had a step by step tutorial of how to build it, I was hoping to use mooners build yet it lacked pictures due to the closing of mobile me if any can possibly help me please respond ASAP
thanks btw i was hoping to cut and chop as little as possible;. Thanks

What exactly are you looking to do with it?

Are you going to utilize the inside parts and try to keep it as original or are you going to go Motherboard tray and cut the back out and upper shelf?

You need some sort of plan or attack, it is kinda hard for people to walk you through step by step. Your best bet is to do a lot of homework on it and see which method is best for you and how you want the end product looking.

You can brows here and over at Aquamac forums for some idea and how to's.

Mooner's build has been updated -- links to photos are fixed...

Adios to MobileMe! :beachball:

I would HIGHLY recommend selling your 2009 MP regardless of the condition, and going to ebay and buying a powermac G5 Chassis. This will probably pay for the whole build and you wouldn't need to put out anymore money (depending on how much power you want your computer to have).

I have been a proponent of the Apple aesthetic for a very long time however I found that I fell in love with my current case, and with the amount of room you get inside of it, you may want to go this direction instead, as Mac Pros are DESIGNED to be cramped as everything is engineered to fit INSIDE OF A MAC PRO and retail mobs etc really aren't, if you looking for that kind of size to performance ratio.

Heres the build: Feel free to drop a comment or question!
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=66659

Thanks mooner the main reason i am planning to go with the mac pro is largely due to support of two burners and the absolutely gorgeous design. I would happily go for the PowerMac G5 if it featured the two burners.
I haven't bought the case yet but heres what I have been quoted:
Mac Pro Enclosure Stripped 2009: £199
Front Panel Logic Board :£39.99
Optical Drive Cage : £24.99
2x HD Caddy :£39.98
I have been quoted a price for everything which is : £280

eelhead said:

Are you going to utilize the inside parts and try to keep it as original or are you going to go Motherboard tray and cut the back out and upper shelf?

You need some sort of plan or attack, it is kinda hard for people to walk you through step by step. Your best bet is to do a lot of homework on it and see which method is best for you and how you want the end product looking.

I am going to probably have to use the motherboard tray as i am using a Full ATX mobo http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk ... ntosh.html this would be absolutely amazing just trying to work out how to possible get to this
\

AusafK said:
eelhead said:

I am going to probably have to use the motherboard tray as i am using a Full ATX mobo http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk ... ntosh.html this would be absolutely amazing just trying to work out how to possible get to this
\

If your going to utilize the two drive bay then your going to be hard pressed to fit that mobo tray inside with a full size ATX board.

I am currently getting the parts together for my 2010 Mac Pro case and I will be using an Asus Rampage Gene III board and modding the Mac Pro power supply with an ATX modular one. In this I will be leaving the upper shelf intact,
I also have all of the inside parts and HDD trays, I will use it all and the system will look like a Pro when you open it up, only thing that will give it away is the black and red mobo. I will follow Aquamac's build and only cut out the IO section and make a custom IO plate.

\

You do realize that this example is a MicroATX motherboard. If you use a full ATX motherboard you will have to cut the bottom or cut into the upper shelf (which means that the PSU would have to be relocated). Also you would most likely loose the use of the 4 HDD drive sleds.

The Mac Pro case is ideal for a MicroATX motherboard.

My build is documented here: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... t=+Mac+Pro

neil

After looking at all our suggestions I think I really have 3 choices : cut a bit out the bottom which i am fine with and i will cover it with a insert of some kind, however I presume this would entail a large amount of effort a work, another option is i swap with a new motherboard say the Asus Rampage IV a MATX board however this seems costly and if i am buying a new motherboard i would like to start a new build from the ground up say this time start with a i7 instead of my current i5 or simply use a G5 case that i presume supports a full ATX motherboard with far less constraints. After looking at it I main use either my E-Sata bluray LG Drive or my singular Samsung DVD built in so i guess one drive would not be such as large hinderer though I do use quite a few hard drives e.g: 2 SSDs one mac, one windows and 2 HDDs for expansion though I would like to add another if possible with the G5 to store all my media e.g iTunes on say a 2tb WD Black.
leave a response to probable best course of action

neilhart said:

\

You do realize that this example is a MicroATX motherboard. If you use a full ATX motherboard you will have to cut the bottom or cut into the upper shelf (which means that the PSU would have to be relocated). Also you would most likely loose the use of the 4 HDD drive sleds.

The Mac Pro case is ideal for a MicroATX motherboard.

My build is documented here: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... t=+Mac+Pro

neil

i dont mind cutting the bottem and keeping the PSU where it is meant to be I ould also change the PSU to a modular one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back