Contribute
Register

Mac OS X Mountain Lion doesn't boot up after installing updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 6770
Hey,

I have a boot-up problem with my system. I have multi boot with Mac OS X Mountain Lion (first partition), Windows 7 (second partition) and Voyager Linux (third partiton).

It was a while since I did updates for Mountain Lion, so I messed up a little after installing updates. I ran MultiBeast again, installed drivers from there right after installing updates. I couldn't remember how do i reinstall display drivers for Radeon 6770 graphics card, so that's why i ran MultiBeast. I think, this was a mistake.

I have installed my operating systems in the following order; Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Windows 7, Voyager Linux, reinstalled Windows 7. Then on Windows 7 I set up Multi boot with EasyBCD.
I had to reinstall Linux several times after this, that's why I happen to have Grub as first bootloader. Now Windows bootloader is under Grub, and I can choose Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 7 under Windows bootloader.

I would like to find a way, how to fix boot-up problem without reinstalling the whole system again. When i reboot my system by typing "PCIRootUID=1" it starts the bootloader and it hangs there and Mac doesn't start. I have tried few boot flags, but they don't help me with my problem. Also, if I try to get in to command prompt with "DSDTgodOff -s" it keyboard doesn't respond once I get there.

If I need to reinstall Mac OS X again, is there any way to do it without harming the other operating systems?

Hey,

I have a boot-up problem with my system. I have multi boot with Mac OS X Mountain Lion (first partition), Windows 7 (second partition) and Voyager Linux (third partiton).

It was a while since I did updates for Mountain Lion, so I messed up a little after installing updates. I ran MultiBeast again, installed drivers from there right after installing updates. I couldn't remember how do i reinstall display drivers for Radeon 6770 graphics card, so that's why i ran MultiBeast. I think, this was a mistake.

I have installed my operating systems in the following order; Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Windows 7, Voyager Linux, reinstalled Windows 7. Then on Windows 7 I set up Multi boot with EasyBCD.
I had to reinstall Linux several times after this, that's why I happen to have Grub as first bootloader. Now Windows bootloader is under Grub, and I can choose Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 7 under Windows bootloader.

I would like to find a way, how to fix boot-up problem without reinstalling the whole system again. When i reboot my system by typing "PCIRootUID=1" it starts the bootloader and it hangs there and Mac doesn't start. I have tried few boot flags, but they don't help me with my problem. Also, if I try to get in to command prompt with "DSDTgodOff -s" it keyboard doesn't respond once I get there.

If I need to reinstall Mac OS X again, is there any way to do it without harming the other operating systems?
Boot UniBeast install USB and at the OS X install screen select the utilities->disk utilities.
select the partition you have OS X installed on in the left pane.
select ERASE in the right pane, should give you default mac OS Extended (Journaled) and same name for partition as before.
when done, close disk utility, continue install, point it at OS X partition.
when done installing, reboot with UniBeast USB and at desktop run MultiBeast for post install needed kexts.
This should not disturb the other OSs in any way, although you might have to redo the Windows BCD.

If you don't mind telling, why use such a complicated boot system? Why not just boot with Chimera and select an OS to boot at the Chimera timeout screen?

Thanks man! I have finally reinstalled my Hackintosh. I just found a guide to do this multibooting this way, how i should have done it to use Chimera as my main bootloader?

Thanks man! I have finally reinstalled my Hackintosh. I just found a guide to do this multibooting this way, how i should have done it to use Chimera as my main bootloader?

How big is your HDD? Do you want a shared partition between OS X and Win8?
IF I was using a single drive for multi-booting I would format and partition it with OS X disk utility like so:

partition 1 - Win8 100Gb minimum - MSDOS FAT
partition 2 - shared MSDOS FAT - size depends on size of drive - might not have this partition if on SSD - too small
partition 3 - OS X 75Gb minimum - HFS+
patrition 4 - Linux - size depends on SSD/HDD size - 50Gb minimum leave free space

Then follow http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html for OS X/Win8 and add http://www.tonymacx86.com/linux/103374-dual-boot-macosx-linux-2.html#post668193 - see post #15 to install Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back