Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" Developer Build Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question that bothered me since Lion GM; anybody knows if you pay for your developer account, once the software goes to "release", you have to buy it or you have to stick to the golden master to use it for free?

lore said:
Question that bothered me since Lion GM; anybody knows if you pay for your developer account, once the software goes to "release", you have to buy it or you have to stick to the golden master to use it for free?

When you join the Mac Developer program you get access to every release of Mac OS X back to like Tiger I believe. Full downloads of 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 every prerelease combo update and prerelease. All of which you get to keep and use forever.

Oh, and every Mac OS X Server license too.

A fantastic deal for $99/yr I'd say. https://developer.apple.com/programs/mac/

wagerrard said:
I don't think dropping the word "Mac" portends anything significant for OS X. If it does, it might suggest that they have plans to use the operating system on devices other than Macs.

That does not mean Apple is going to start selling their OS for use on someone else's hardware. First, there is little significant money in it. Second, OS X on Any Old Intel would inevitably be less stable and more problematic than on Apple hardware. Apple is interested in the entire experience delivered across its entire product line AND it wants to control as much of that as possible. It loses control if it allows people to start legitimately stuffing OS X onto non-Apple hardware.

Allowing OS X on non-Apple hardware will give more users access to the Mac App Store. It would also provide iDevice-users with PCs a better experience through iCloud. More people in the ecosystem means more money for Apple.

blueking said:
What gives the impression a jailbreak will be needed? It doesn't limit you at all. You can easily disable the only install app store apps.

What I meant in my post was if GateKepper is a sign of things to come. In this version of OS X, you can choose to install or not something that was not "approved" by Apple. Whatif Apple intends to, in a future version, make all the devices, including Macs, impossible to install anything except the softwares downloaded from AppStore. This won't be a surprise to me if it actually happens. For now, GateKeeper is like Microsoft Windows Firewall, something on the system that I hardly remeber it exists because I it's always turned off.

swedish_meatball said:
Allowing OS X on non-Apple hardware will give more users access to the Mac App Store. It would also provide iDevice-users with PCs a better experience through iCloud. More people in the ecosystem means more money for Apple.

And more compatibility issues, and more money spent with support. Sorry, that won't happen. Even the older (pre 2008) macs were ripped off from the list.

I don't know- when you look at the percentage of Apple's income coming from Mac hardware vs. their other stuff, it kind of starts to make sense to open up to more hardware partners.

revbyquarter.jpg

Source: Macrumors http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/app ... scal-2011/

Judah said:
If every Joe Schmo could run OSX, it's no longer what the cool kids have.

Hey- who you callin' Joe Schmo :problem: :lol:

Again, rationally I don't think apple will let its system to be available for other hardware. I think this name change is a step more to merge with iOS.

Anyway, I like to believe in fairy tales. And one came to my mind, and I like to believe in it. Apple drops mac pros, but can't lose the professional slice of market. They cannot allow every hardware to be compatible to their systems, it would mean massive work, and losing stability. But there are people, in the net who displayed like some hardware is really compatible.
So, why not let different industries, like gigabyte or others, to produce their own line of new mac(like) pros? This hardware should be strictly verified to reach some standards and like a certificate, and maybe could mount some chip on motherboard made by apple which could work like EFI. In this fairy tale, apple charges enough on this chip, and in the certificate. Not only, this hardware is sellable just by apple stores, side by side with apple monitors, MacBooks, iMacs, iPhones and iPads.
And in this fairy tale, apple strikes microsoft hard when it release a new operating system with a brand new interface, which not all people will like.

I don't believe it could happen some day... but dreaming is cheap :p.

Like any of the Apple announced OS updates that orphan computers, it's a good side and bad side:

2008 and earlier orphaned means cheaper hardware prices for perfectly usable Snow Leopard and Lion installs.

OS X 10.8 is NOT looking like iOS - it has more built-in iOS features, but still looks like it will run my necessary family of Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and Office. For me iOS leaves so many holes with non-functioning Excel models, font problems and print problems.

I was worried that Lion was the end of the road for the traditional Mac - at least it has a bit of life left in it. I truly can't use Windows as the graphics just depress me.

I don't care about Facebook, Twitter, Games etc. My Macs MUST make money or they get the boot. So looks like what they are offering has no use for me.

And until all the CarrierIQ and tracking is put to bed, which is probably never in light of recent announcement of Google's ad tracking, smartphone connection is useless. One compromised client file about new business ventures and I'm done.

And for all of us who hope for the opening of OS X to Intel Generic, just remember two words: Power Computing. They slaughtered Apple in the low end workstation segment, which is now effectively taken over by Hackintoshes. I don't think they are so much about this market, otherwise there would be no tonymacx86.com. Apple is the 500Billion pound gorilla.

I'm still cool with cheaper prices for orphaned MacBookPro's - too many laptop science experiments :headbang:

superstargoddess said:
I can't get this freakin thing to install

We are not allowing discussion of Mountain Lion installation, due to the Developer NDA. Post removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back