Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.7.2 Update - The Official Thread (Desktops)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like most of the GTX 560 users are having probs upgrading… :?

On my Z68MX machine it required to reboot after the combo update and then install Audio rollback and USB rollback. Even though I did those rollbacks before reboots, after restart I lost USB and Audio. Connected with screen sharing from another machine, launched Multibeast and again installed Audio rollback and USB rollback.

Without another machine and screen sharing enabled, it will be hard to bring my Hackintosh to work. Since I had both it was a breeze.

My system was running perfectly with I think Chimera 1.4.1 and pn 10.7.0.
Upgraded succesfully to 10.7.2 but iCloud wasn't working so I then installed Chimera 1.5.4 and got a kernel panic on boot :(
Tried all kinds of flags like npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0 -f -x -v and combinations thereof.

Restored a time machine backup and tried install Chimera 1.5.4 first and also got a kernel panic when rebooting.

Restoring a time machine backup now again :(

Anyone know why it would suddenly kernel panic? :banghead:

Before updating, I used Superduper to back up two copies of my system.

My system has 5 Hard Drives. The main Hard Drive is my 120gb Agility 3 SSD, a 60gb SSD with Windows 7 install, a 1TB WD Caviar Black I use for time machine, a 1TB Samsung I use for everyday data and a 1.5TB Hitachi in a hot swap mounted 5.25 bay that I store my photos and videos on. That drive fills quickly (Video takes a lot of room so when I fill them, I date them put them in a shelf and replace them)

Anyway. I put a complete copy of my system on the Hitachi and Samsung drive (in a small 100 mb partition). Then I booted into the COPY on one of the drives, and did the combo update. I then used Multi Beast redo audio and restore permissions, and rebooted into that partition (everything was working FINE) I then tested iCloud, iTunes and the app store, all were working. Next, I copied that system back onto my system SSD with Superduper. Once that was done, I rebooted (I used rBoot to boot and selected my system SSD.)
I ran Multibeast again. Restored permissions and rebooted.

Everything went FINE. What I was left with is a system that is running 7.2 plus a back up running 7.2 that I can use for testing different things. I still have the 7.1 backup just incase I find that something I didn't expect is broken. I will keep that intact until the next upgrade.

So, if everything went poorly, I had the comfort of knowing that I still had my fully functional 7.1.

I'd recommend this type of method to anyone concerned with any upgrade. While it might seem time consuming (yes it added about 20 minutes to the upgrade process) I knew all along that no matter what happened, I'd still have a working system. Well worth the 20 minutes it takes to make the backups.

Thanks again to all of you here at Tonymacx86. You have made this entire Hackintosh process simple, informative and FUN!

Thanks again.

Ed

edbetz said:
Before updating, I used Superduper to back up two copies of my system.

My system has 5 Hard Drives. The main Hard Drive is my 120gb Agility 3 SSD, a 60gb SSD with Windows 7 install, a 1TB WD Caviar Black I use for time machine, a 1TB Samsung I use for everyday data and a 1.5TB Hitachi in a hot swap mounted 5.25 bay that I store my photos and videos on. That drive fills quickly (Video takes a lot of room so when I fill them, I date them put them in a shelf and replace them)

Anyway. I put a complete copy of my system on the Hitachi and Samsung drive (in a small 100 mb partition). Then I booted into the COPY on one of the drives, and did the combo update. I then used Multi Beast redo audio and restore permissions, and rebooted into that partition (everything was working FINE) I then tested iCloud, iTunes and the app store, all were working. Next, I copied that system back onto my system SSD with Superduper. Once that was done, I rebooted (I used rBoot to boot and selected my system SSD.)
I ran Multibeast again. Restored permissions and rebooted.

Everything went FINE. What I was left with is a system that is running 7.2 plus a back up running 7.2 that I can use for testing different things. I still have the 7.1 backup just incase I find that something I didn't expect is broken. I will keep that intact until the next upgrade.

So, if everything went poorly, I had the comfort of knowing that I still had my fully functional 7.1.

I'd recommend this type of method to anyone concerned with any upgrade. While it might seem time consuming (yes it added about 20 minutes to the upgrade process) I knew all along that no matter what happened, I'd still have a working system. Well worth the 20 minutes it takes to make the backups.

Thanks again to all of you here at Tonymacx86. You have made this entire Hackintosh process simple, informative and FUN!

Thanks again.

Ed

Great post- thanks! :thumbup:

Combo update plus reinstall audio in MB worked for me.

Network didn't work after reboot. In the end I deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist, NetworkInterfaces.plist and com.apple.network.identification.plist and rebooted and the network came up. Odd. I'm using the current Lnx2Mac.

after updating, my system didn't boot. i used multibeast 3.8... i am trying multibeast 4.0.2 now to see if i have better luck. i'll let you know what happens from here.

Software update worked fine for me, just had to reinstall AppleHDA Rollback and MacMan's ALC8xxHDA.kext as always. (Using DSDT for Audio - ALC888)

SleepEnabler from 10.7.1 still works, using XNU SleepEnabler + Lnx2Mac Ethernet.

Everything else still works, pretty nice.

I downloaded and installed the MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.2. Before rebooting, I ran my custombeast, which failed near the end. I ran the realtech driver install part without any issues.

I then downloaded multibeast for lion and ran just the rebuild caches and repair permissions, and that failed.

I haven't rebooted yet. Any thoughts?

I just noticed that rebuilding caches selected by itself works but repairing permissions by itself fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back