Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.7.1 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDex said:
In the end, I'm still wondering what the hype about Lion is all about.
The biggest change is having a more resource-hungry OS really. :yawn:

i have to say that there are already a few things that i would miss in snowleo.
and for me: system-performance has not changed (but i did a fresh install)

Does anybody know anything about the Security Update 2011-005? I installed this update and after I did, I could not boot back into Lion. Had to reinstall all over again. I tried Disk utility to repair disk and repair permissions, nothing. I tried to restore from a time machine backup, nothing. :banghead:

@antbanks24: As you can read in my post, I downloaded the Security Update 2011-005 and everything went fine. I have to admit that it did take a handful of reboots though, so you might want to do that and make sure to try -x as well, seems like that took the part of the old -F option since I can see all kexts zipping while booting up.

@all: Seems like I'm not the only one wondering about Lion - if there was at least a performance increase, but so far all I notice is that the GUI changed for the worse (everything colored where it doesn't count and colors missing where it does) and that the shutdown nag screen (Reopen all windows upon restart) was solely implemented to **** off customers (otherwise there'd be a toggle for it). MAS worked fine in SL already and the new Launch Pad is only an option for 3-yr-olds really. Oh well. :|

McDex said:
@all: Seems like I'm not the only one wondering about Lion - if there was at least a performance increase, but so far all I notice is that the GUI changed for the worse (everything colored where it doesn't count and colors missing where it does) and that the shutdown nag screen (Reopen all windows upon restart) was solely implemented to **** off customers (otherwise there'd be a toggle for it). MAS worked fine in SL already and the new Launch Pad is only an option for 3-yr-olds really. Oh well. :|

i guess we just need to get familiar with the new workflow. i bet userexperience would increase dramatically if everyone would use a Trackpad. for pure keyboard&mouse jockeys there are indeed annoying things. but you can go around those since we are not forced to use things like launchpad. i love the UI of iOS so i appreciate every attempt to integrate concepts of it into osx :think:

mrpierce said:
Jdutch101 said:
When I start up, or wake from sleep, the blue tooth dongle I have seems to be having issues connecting with my magic mouse. It connects for a brief second and then fails. I have to delete the device in Sys Prefs and use my other mouse to add it again.

I'm having the same problem with my Bluetooth connection. Was just using a Class 2 Zoom 4322 USB BT dongle in Snow Leopard. Running a socket 1366 Core i& on Gigabyte UD3R. Working great. Now in Lion, have to delete and add BT mouse again each time I boot into Lion.

Contacted Zoom support. They said to check back, as they hadn't tested all their products for Lion compatibility. That was 3 weeks ago. Recontacted but they didn't get back to me, so I'm still trying to figure it out. It isn't just the nuisance of using a USB mouse to remove and add the mouse back in every time. The system is being used by someone else, so before I can transition them from SL to Lion have to work this out.

I never did hear back from those guys at Zoom. I see a reference to a Jabra adapter in Tony's new post on the Mini-Mac so maybe that's the recommended adapter? I ended up going back to Micro Center and picking up an IOGEAR GBU421 BT 2.1 adapter. This was the only other one they had that noted Mac compatibility. Fortunately, it DOES retain the BT connection following a reboot so looks like that solved it. Don't understand why I can't pair the Magic Mouse to the adapter in both my Lion and SL installs. Once I get it working in Lion I lose it in SL, have to remove it and add it back in. The physical address of the device doesn't change so it would seem these two configs should exist independent of each other. Guess I don't understand the 'inner workings' of BT yet. In any case, as soon as I transition the user to booting exclusively from Lion it won't matter anyway.

antbanks24 said:
Does anybody know anything about the Security Update 2011-005? I installed this update and after I did, I could not boot back into Lion. Had to reinstall all over again. I tried Disk utility to repair disk and repair permissions, nothing. I tried to restore from a time machine backup, nothing. :banghead:

I'm glad to hear this: it suggests that I'm not entirely crazy.

I'm having the same problem with the same setup. I'm wondering if it's the video card.

I never did hear back from those guys at Zoom. I see a reference to a Jabra adapter in Tony's new post on the Mini-Mac so maybe that's the recommended adapter? I ended up going back to Micro Center and picking up an IOGEAR GBU421 BT 2.1 adapter. This was the only other one they had that noted Mac compatibility. Fortunately, it DOES retain the BT connection following a reboot so looks like that solved it. Don't understand why I can't pair the Magic Mouse to the adapter in both my Lion and SL installs. Once I get it working in Lion I lose it in SL, have to remove it and add it back in. The physical address of the device doesn't change so it would seem these two configs should exist independent of each other. Guess I don't understand the 'inner workings' of BT yet. In any case, as soon as I transition the user to booting exclusively from Lion it won't matter anyway.

I went to my local Fry's electronics to look for the BT adapter made by ASUS, because that's the one that was listed in tony's list of optional accessories for the Sandy Bridge Builds. The guy took me to the BT adapters and they didn't have anymore. So as I was looking at what they had I stumbled upon this one made by Sabrent. I have to say that I was real leary on buying it cuz I wasn't sure if it would be compatible. The package said MAC OS X compatible, so I figured what the hell. I am pleased to report that I have absolutely no problems with this adapter. Everything works like it should. Trackpad and keyboard are both recognized right away and connect without any issues when I boot to desktop. Not bad for $9.99. :)

http://www.frys.com/product/6103319?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG

dontango said:
i guess we just need to get familiar with the new workflow. i bet userexperience would increase dramatically if everyone would use a Trackpad. for pure keyboard&mouse jockeys there are indeed annoying things. but you can go around those since we are not forced to use things like launchpad. i love the UI of iOS so i appreciate every attempt to integrate concepts of it into osx :think:

Don't get me wrong dontango, I love the iGUI, too, where it's needed - in the realm of portable devices. So far Lion hasn't changed my workflow either, since I can still start programs efficiently (e.g. typing the ph in Launchbar in order to start Photoshop, which is so much faster than LaunchPad could ever be).

What I'm afraid of is, that this parallel approach to working on a Mac will come to a sudden stop in the future, since Apple has been known to make people work they way they think is best, no matter what. Although that fear lessened a bit since Jobs stepped down, I think the new guy might just end up being a bit less strict.

Whatever the future may hold, I just hope we won't end up with some one-buttoned OS for morons when 10.8 comes around. :shifty:

hausi said:
Anybody else having bad experience with the latest security update ??
- actually its strange -I did read somewhere: it should only revoke certificates....

thanks for your input
Gerhard
I myself update.
No problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back