Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have some news:

-multibeast ( all versions) is failing installation because of the system utilities: repairing permession and even rebuilding caches. i really don't understand why. the fix could be running kextutility.

-that's my kernel panic window (after installing combo update):

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 432
brisc0 said:
I followed TooSixty's awesome guide @ this post viewtopic.php?f=79&t=22298
and it was super simple. The speedstep piece didn't work so well but I just patched my own kexts and its flawless now. This should lay down a good base install for many (again, all credit to TooSixty):

1. Make sure BIOS is not overclocked
2. Boot with iBoot
3. Swap iBoot CD with Mac OS X 10.6 Install DVD. Press F5 to refresh the boot menu,
choose the Install DVD, and boot with PCIRootUID=1 flag.
4. Using Disk Utility, create a boot partition named Macintosh HD
5. Install Mac OS X and reboot
6. Boot with iBoot, then select Macintosh HD boot drive from the boot menu. Enter:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1
7. Setup Mac OS X as required
8. To prevent Kernel Panics when updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8:
a. Remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext file from
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins
b. In Terminal, type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
c. Rebuild kext cache using MultiBeast > System Utilities or Kext Wizard
9. Reboot with iBoot and select boot drive Macintosh HD again, with
GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 flags.
10. Install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update. Wait until it finishes but DO NOT restart!
11.Run MultiBeast and select these options (see Fig 1):
a. System Utilities
b. ALC8xxHDA
c. AppleHDA Rollback
d. FakeSMC
e. FakeSMC Plugins
f. IOUSBFamily Rollback
g. NullCPUPowerManagement
h. USB 3.0 – NEC/Renesas
i. Lnx2Mac’s RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet
j. hnak’s AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet
k. Chimera v1.41 r877
l. 64-bit Apple boot screen
m. iMac 12,2
n. tonymacx86 Remixed
If not using a custom DSDT file, need to select an audio enabler (ALC889, ALC892,
etc.) depending on what audio chipset is on the motherboard.
13. Installation of Lnx2Mac’s Realtek driver is a separate process. Make sure the
Release option is selected. DO NOT restart yet!
14. Go to /Extra folder and drag the com.apple.Boot.plist file to the desktop. Using
TextEdit, edit the Kernel Flags entry as follows:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 pmVersion=23</string>
15. Drag the com.apple.Boot.plist file back into /Extra folder to replace the old one.
Authenticate with password.
16. Remove iBoot and reboot into the boot drive.

PS, if you dont get step 8 (one of the most important) browse to system/library/extensions and find IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext then right click it and "show package contents" then browse to /Contents/Plugins and delete ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

I find that lots of folks dont get that part.

Was up until 3:00 AM, not much of a progress. Was able to install 10.6.3 using some of the what is mentioned above and then update to 10.6.8 but MultiBeast installation fails every time near the end. I was able to install the new NV driver after going through the update. Could not find any "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext " or "IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext" any where in the system.

Since I did this MacHD installation in the same drive as the broken 10.6.8, I could Migrate all account and Application and settings using the Migration App as it or the timemachine sees that I have another mac OS volume in the system but did not have enough space left in this new partition.

Before this, due to being frustrated and paranoid at the same time, I also installed 10.6.3 (bare minimum) on top of broken 10.6.8 with bare minimum requirement, it won't boot or go into the Desktop screen after completing installation so I could not go as far as installing the newest multibeast. Only choice I had was to restart. I've got all my data backed up in 1TB drive and the OS is installed in a 80GB SSD. So how could I install the new Multibeast? Is there a workaround or bare minimum options I could specify or should I try an older Multibeast? I can't find a 10.6.4 update anymore as I wanted to go back to 10.6.7, looks like since I have installed 10.6.3, I have to go through 10.6.4 -> 10.6.5 -> 10.6.6 and then 10.6.7. Then "possibly" I could restore from the time machine as my time machine has 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 backups. Attempting to restore from these backups result into error saying something like I have an"older" or different model of Mac and gives me options to install fresh or from a startup volume or disk. Not sure whether or not it will restore the stable state of my entire OS though.

Thoughts?

Couldn't get audio on a GA-h55m-usb3 with a HIS 5770 gpu to work...

Tried AppleHDA rollback, but for some reason the hardware info kept showing a realtek 892 instead of 889.

I'll be sticking with 10.6.7 for now =)

nim79 check this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=23153

nim79 said:
Updated to 10.6.8 with no problems using the Combo installer but i can no longer update my apps on the Mac App Store (MAS). Keeps returning the message No GUID available. But it works fine on my MBP. Is this apples way of saying Hackintosh users cant update to Lion via the MAS and have to look for alternatives? is anyone else having issues?

mrxbobert said:
Couldn't get audio on a GA-h55m-usb3 with a HIS 5770 gpu to work...

Tried AppleHDA rollback, but for some reason the hardware info kept showing a realtek 892 instead of 889.

I'll be sticking with 10.6.7 for now =)

got same problem like you...

In general, like this: by careful Improved dsdt in the folder Ehtra only 5 kexts. Alc8xxHDA.kext, FakeSMC.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext, JMicron36xATA.kext, NVEnabler64.kext. Everything works, just not automatically go into sleep mode. But there is no limit to perfection.

Guys, finally got it working by looking at the posts on the Blog about the update. I had to fresh install 10.6.3 (much to my dismay, as I never backup my stuff [which I need to start doing...]) and skipped 10.6.7, followed the instructions for a Fermi and p7p55d e, and installed 10.6.8. I also had to make sure to replace the kexts that 10.6.8 forgets to. Everything is functional!

Hi guys just wanted to post an update and my solution to no sound, no booting and no display port issues I had with my computer. After I updated to 10.6.8 I lost my sound, network and display port. I tried to fix that by using multibeast but was unsuccessful at it resulting in a non booting computer... I would get to the chameleon screen (right after the bios screen) then the screen goes black and nada.
I went here first viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12897&start=0 to make sure my bios is correct (I have the same mobo I suggest you look to see other users with one you have and see how they set theirs up) and used more or less the same multibeast settings.

SO I booted up again and hit the spacebar during the chameleon screen. Hit the space bar again and I typed -x -v GraphicsEnabler=NO. It took awhile but eventually I booted back up with my monitor connected to the dvi port. Once there I re-installed the multi beast like stated in the above post: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12897&start=0

After that it took a couple of tries but it finally took and on to the display port issue. For that I followed this post: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16893&start=20 and that fixed my video issue.

Finally for the sound, it took me again a couple tries at it but finally got that done by following this post: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19468

Everything works like a charm again and I've been saved doing a total reinstall. I just now need to figure out why my wireless hub is no longer working so I can have wireless networking... other than that everything works 100% so far.
Hope my experience can shed some light on some other folks out there that might still be struggling with issues like I had.

Thanks to the great community we got here! Cheers!!! :headbang:

Able to update 10.6.8 successfully, but having issues with Multibeast failing every time.

-multibeast ( all versions) is failing installation because of the system utilities: repairing permession and even rebuilding caches.

If i try to reboot, i get Apple Logo only without spinning wheel freeze.

I then restored to 10.6.7 I tried many times, and get same Multibeast installation failure.

Has anyone gotten past the Multibeast installation failure with repairing permission and even rebuilding caches checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back