Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonymacx86 said:
I've never done the dual graphics card thing- but from what I've seen EFI stings are not the preferred method. You should try a DSDT edit for both cards instead.
Thanks tony. Never did a DSDT edit before, but I will definitely go ahead and try. Worst thing that could happen is I go back and restore so not much to lose lol.

inhumanelmo said:
Thanks tony. Never did a DSDT edit before, but I will definitely go ahead and try. Worst thing that could happen is I go back and restore so not much to lose lol.

Ya a clone or fresh install and migrate isn't that bad- sometimes it's a lot easier than trying to troubleshoot the issue directly.

orangepop said:
orangepop said:
Hi guys, I was hoping some one could help me out with a problem. I recently updated to 10.6.8 and everything worked ok except I lost my sound, my networking and display port. I ran multibeast to reinstall those kexts and then I tried to figure out how to fix the display port and that's where I screwed myself. As of now I can boot up past the chameleon screen. I removed my HD and connected it to my macbook pro and I can see all my files and everything looks and works fine however I can no longer boot from that disk on my "tonymac" (lets face it, its a better name than hackintosh ;) ). I tired using iboot and tried -x -v PCIrootUID=1 to no avail. Is there a way that i can redo the boot part without redoing the whole install? I have also included the screen where it hangs when I boot with iboot below.

Thanks so much in you help with this matter.

So I am starting to believe that I may need to reinstall SL from scratch and hoping that someone here can tell me otherwise. Is there a way to correct what I did? I cant see to find on this blog a post or thread that illustrates how to re-install the chameleon part of the drive where I inadvertently must of used the wrong settings in my Multibeast installation part after the update since right after doing that I could not longer boot up past the chameleon screen. Does anyone know how I can do that or point me to a thread that may have some info if this has been covered before. I find it hard to believe that no one ever thought of a way to reinstall the boot part of the drive to avoid doing a full reinstall. I hope what I wrote makes sense and someone can make sense of this. Thanks. :oops:

Ok just an update here. I didn't do anything this time round but I booted up using -x -v GraphicsEnabler=NO and I got it to boot up again. My question now is how do I fix it so it will always boot up. Also I still haven't figured out to get both displays working yet as well as the display port working. What's my next step, re-install multibeast or go in manually to the extras folder to remove stuff I installed from before? Getting closer!!!!

Hi,

As far as I remember, System Info doesn't show 6 Gigabit speed SATA3 on Gigabyte X54A-UD3R before 10.6.8.
With 10.6.8, I can see Link Speed: 6Gb, Negotiated Link Speed: 6Gb.
6GB.jpg

Best regards,

Attachments

• 6GB.jpg
    6GB.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 282
I applied the 10.6.8 upgrade (Combo) yesterday without any issues. Everything including sound, graphic and network was working after the reboot.

Gigabyte H55N-USB3
:thumbup:

twoace88 said:
Hi,

As far as I remember, System Info doesn't show 6 Gigabit speed SATA3 on Gigabyte X54A-UD3R before 10.6.8.
With 10.6.8, I can see Link Speed: 6Gb, Negotiated Link Speed: 6Gb.
6GB.jpg

Best regards,

Right on- full SATA3 6gbps! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

ok, so reading there are some troubles with "older" NVIDIA cards as 9800GT I guess I´ll hold my horses for a while as I have the 8800GT.
Strangely my 8800GT worked "out of the box" on 10.6.7 with the iBoot method without installing any drivers at all. I used to use EFI string on 10.5 but now full support including dual monitors and QI/CE working.

hey guys, ok so i just quick searched through the thread and didn't find an answer... or i looked over it. =\

i took the update from apple and forgot to take the quadro update for my gts 450... so now i am stuck at [ PCI configuration begin ]...

any advice, noob style (im not very experienced in advanced user techniques), would help...

Thanks,
Cameron

Just sharing my experience with the 10.6.8 update. I got the infamous PCI configuration stall. Strangely enough unplugging the power on my machine allowed me to boot into the OS once per unplug.

[*]unplugging mac seems to reset mobo and allow for at least one boot
[*]loaded nvidia oem drivers. failed to boot.
[*]unplugged and booted. installed tonymac nvidia drivers 2.1. got error saying kext were not properly installed (?)
[*]loaded multibeast 3.7.3. selected rebuild cache; repair permissions. selected nvenabler, applehdarollback, iousbfamilyrollback, usb 3, fakesmc, fakesmc plugins, chimera
[*]machine hung at pci config again
[*]unplugged the machine. rebooted. installed the SLKexts from the thread. started up fine!
[*]went to the app store and got "No GUID is available." rebooted. still with issue.
[*]added the ethernetbiultin to boot.plist. rebooted and worked.
[*]Haven't tried audio or sleep {edit} appears that both sound and sleep are working

Howdy,

Here's my experience so far (machine details in sig):

The update did not go very smoothly, I used the method on page 36 above and elsewhere.
Deleted the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext and touched /System/Library/Extensions. Next rebooted system and successfully completed 10.6.8 combo update, updated Nvidia drivers and ran multibeast skipping NVenabler and other Nvidia drivers. No more kernel panics.

Sleep and wake working without apparent problem. Have not tested bluetooth yet, but it is showing as recognized by the system, symbol in menu bar.

I was getting very slow boot ups until I made the SSD the first boot drive and removed others. Now it flies to login screen. :headbang:

Still working on:
- OC'ing causes the machine to hang, need to dig into where it's dying.
- the bluray drive cannot write any format but does read discs; this was working in 10.6.7.

Edit: Looks like I may have just needed to re-run MB as before. Had gotten an error the first time around but had plowed on anyway. All's working as before the 6.8 update now. :headbang: Still looking into getting fans and gpu to show up in iStat Menu.

Any help appreciated here. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Humbe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back