Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running 10.6.8 with new fermi kexts from NVIDIA, manually installed tho. The system is running except:

1. no spinning at gray apple screen, verbose mode stuck at [PCI Configuration begin], no more info, but after a while, the graphics show up, but
2. dl dvi monitor (say acer gd245hq which I have, as in TV mode) will get pure blue screen until I disconnect dl dvi cable and reconnect, or, turn the monitor off and on. This doesn't happen on a sl dvi monitor (dell U2410).
3. [PCI Configuration begin] problem only happens on my GT 430, on HD 6870 everything is fine (GraphicsEnabler=No)

I installed the combo update from another hard drive so no kp while installing and no more kexts replacement except AppleHDA.kext rollback to make sound work.

but I will get kp instantly if i rollback IOPCIFamily.kext

system key info:
i7-2600k
Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H-B3
GeForce GT 430

I will do the update on another system soon which is:
i7-940
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Dual GeForce GTX 260 w/ 4 monitors!

cheers

Backed up OCZ system drive with SuperDuper! Disconnected all drives except the system drive and DVD drive as well as all USB. I plugged in USB Apple keyboard and Mighty mouse.

Installed 10.6.8 from Combo update.

Restarted

No sound or internet - Plugged in my EnGenius USB wireless adapter 'Wireless EUB9603 EXT' and it worked fine. Connected to this thread to check the corrections, and Ran MultiBeast 3.73. Checked System Utilities, Audio/AppleHDA Rollback, Network/Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6.

-- OK, I could have connected with my iMac, but I am so spoiled with the speed of this computer. --

Restarted - Sound and Ethernet good! :thumbup:

Ran Trim Support Enabler 1.1

Restarted - got past Apple/grey screen to blue screen and intermittent spinning wheel,

shut down manually, restarted

Booted with no problem - Working All USB 2.0 and 3.0 - wireless keyboard and mouse -
According to About this Mac - SATA 6GB is also now working.

Very straight forward update with my system, didn't sacrifice the chicken :D

I have no luck with the following spec.

Intel 2600k
4 x 4GB RAM
GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, F6 BIOS
XFX 5770

Cannot finish installation of 10.6.8 combo update after a clean installation
Got screen of death when the combo update installation is almost finished. Cannot even boot via iBoot after that.

dewberry said:
ASUS P5E PRO WS:

Combo Update Installed perfectly.
As usually reinstall Marvell 88E8056 network adapter and removed AppleHDA kext due to conflict with Voodoo drivers.

And All works

I have a similar setup. Maximus Formula X38. When I start from scratch, I select the following using Multibeast DSDT with the DSDT file I used for 10.6.5:

ElliotForceLegacyRTC
EvOreboot
fakesmc
JmicronATA
JmicronSATA
NullCPUPower

After that's complete, I manually add OsxRestart that I needed to get 10.6.5 working

This works fine. I can reboot at will. Now to get the ethernet working...

I manually install Marvell88E8056 and restart, I get stuck at the Grey apple logo each time. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

If someone can recommend a DSDT or a different technique, please let me know.

I'll try and skip OsxRestart, let you know how it turns out. When I manually install, I drag the kext to the /extra/extensions folder; then I run KextUtility, Multibeast System Utilities, then KextUtility one last time. Maybe I should change that? I'm currently trying what worked in 10.6.5.

I've been running this hackintosh for almost 4 years now. This is the first time (that I can remember) having this many problems with an update. Even major updates have worked fine for me. I've been reading and trying to get my system back for 5 days now. Ugh!

The only outstanding issue for me is a total loss of any networking -- both ethernet and airport are shown, but unresponsive. This is also making my whole machine incredibly slow :beachball:

I'm now replacing the IO80211.kext and IONetworkFamily.kext and crossing my fingers. I'll let you know if that worked.

This is making me pretty afraid of LION. Definitely making a full CCC backup before that one!

UPDATE = FAIL
Still no networking. I'm at my wit's end here. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? :banghead:

OK, after 30+ rebooting, quad monitors on dual GTX 260 doesn't work anymore on 10.6.8 and I gave up.

Dual GTX 260 was working if:
Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and prior
BIOS set to boot from PCIE x16-2 (PCIE x16-1 doesn't work)
Correct EFI Strings in com.apple.Boot.plist (GraphicsEnabler=Yes doesn't work)
No extra kexts is required.

And now in 10.6.8:
With kexts coming with 10.6.8 doesn't work: all monitors go to sleep after verbose text or gray apple.
Kexts from tony NVIDIA 2.1.0 doesn't work: all ports on both cards are not detecting any monitor.
Kexts from 10.6.7 or from the newest NVIDIA update doesn't work: only the card which BIOS initialized work, the other card doesn't detect any monitor.

This only benefit is that with kexts from 10.6.7 or newest NVIDIA update on 10.6.8, with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and no EFT Strings, BIOS initialized card will work while the other doesn't detect monitors.

And something interesting is that in 10.6.8 with working NVIDIA kexts, if BIOS initialize PCIE x16-1, verbose text will stuck at [PCI configuration begin], no more text until graphics load. And if BIOS initialize PCIE x16-2 first, verbose text will go all the way down.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-29.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-29.png
    34 KB · Views: 352
Z_D said:
beelzebozo said:
tahyerg said:
Asus P55 motherboards users should delete or remove the SleepEnabler.kext before restart. Since SleepEnabler is version specific, the old one will cause kernel panic if you leave it there. For the mean time, sleep function will not work until the SleepEnabler kext for 10.6.8 is available.

Sleep works fine for me without SleepEnabler.kext.

Are you using a DSDT from the Database? I'm having issues with mine since upgrading to 10.6.8, it only seems to work properly half the time.

No, using a DSDT is not necessary for most ASUS Socket 1156 boards using a recent BIOS.

Got the update and it's working great. I D/L the 10.6.8 update only (not the combo), ran that, when it said it needed to reboot, I ran the update from nVidia. It stopped at the [PCI Configuration Begin] for about 15 seconds, then booted right into OSX. I didn't have any sound, so i ran the AppleHDA Rollback, rebooted again and all is fine. I then installed the JAVA update, still good. I have noticed something though, i don't get the spinning gear on the Apple logo screen anymore, anyone else notice this?

Screenshot2011-06-28at93953PM.jpg

So i made a clean install on a separate disk, updated to 10.6.8 and ran MultiBeast. Everything works fine, except i keep having random kernel panics.

I already tried narrowing it down by shutting off different Applications (Transmission, VLC, anything MacFuse related) but it keeps coming up again. I really have no idea where this is coming from but currently i am running a terminal with tail -f /var/log/kernel.log

Any ideas appreciated. Here is a Screenshot of my Extras Folder
Screen shot 2011-06-29 at 3.54.13 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-29 at 3.54.13 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-29 at 3.54.13 AM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 285
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back