Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many I got stuck after the upgrade. Reboot and hang at the pci message point.
So up to time machine restore.
More misery, hangs at various points during the restore operation via the dvd boot.
(Boot dvd and select restore from Utilities menu).
Initially tried restore from time capsule backup. Then copied the time machine backup files to a separate internal disk. Still same issue.
I got suspicious around sleep and timeout and started moving the mouse regularly. This seem to work. Searching on the internet on this I came across the following post I would like to share.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/17 ... ID=1767268
It describes how to disable the various sleep timers in the dvd boot environment using the tool pmset via the terminal tool from the utilities option list.

Use:
pmset -a sleep 0 disksleep 0 displaysleep 0 force
to disable the timers.

Info worth to keep in mind store in a FAQ somewhere!

Hello!

Thanx so mutch your work Tony and the team! 10.6.8 update on my machine perfect.

1. Boot the any osx bootdisk (OSX86Boot. Iboot etc...)
2. Install te 10.6.8 update (http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL14 ... 10.6.8.dmg)
3. Dont restart!!!!!
4. Install Multibeast 3.7.3 Easybeast only
5. Restart the machine (Im afther the restart install the new chameleon bootloader from kexts.com)
6. restart. TADAAAM! Work, work, work....

bb

I have had no problems at all installing the update.All the minor updates have been installed already,then I cloned my system drive.I repaired caches and permissions restarted and installed via software update.
Reboot as usual!No problems at all :)
No Audio,as expected,so I did the audio rollback and repaired caches and permissions once more.
Reboot as usual!Only with a perfectly working 10.6.8 running.
Ah,one thing.Wake from sleep with the magic trackpad is not working,I don´t really know if it worked before,I only tried wake from sleep with the magic mouse wich I am not using any more.Would be absolutly perfect with wake by bluetooth,but I think before I start messing around things I will just ignore that minor issue.
Once again to Tony,the other admins and the rest of the community.This site here is pure joy!My little powermac is running so smoothly and it´s even more fun than my macbook air wich brought me to apple.
Keep up the good work folks!

updated my ep45-ud3p to 10.6.8 and worked well except for audio, I was using Stellas boot for that MB, worked great through 10.6.7 , I thought all was well on 10.6.8 but no sound. boooo tried copying back the kext from the kext.disabled in s/l/e but no go KP on boot, boooooooo

Finally, I got it working on my Quadcore Q9650 @ GA-EP45DS3R and Radeon 4870 by following this guide with some modifictions. First boot after running multibeast after comboinstall ended in black screen(s). Had to boot up in -v -x, and then
grab all my ati related kexts from 10.6.7 and put them back with Kext Utility.

Works like a charm now. :cool:

casheddie said:
kfernandes29 said:
casheddie said:
Hey Folks,

I wanted to post a step-by-step solution that may help most people that are having issues with the 10.6.8 update. I had the sames issues (sitting at the white Apple screen after install of the update) and after reading through the various posts in this thread, I was able to pull together a workable solution outlined below:

1. PLEASE make a backup of your working 10.6.7 install using either time machine or clone copy.

2. You will need to make a copy of a few kexts from your working 10.6.7 and put them on your desktop. Below is the list of the ones you will need (for this example, I’m listing kexts for my specific graphics card family which is the ATI5000 because I now have the ATI 5770. You may need to copy a different set of kexts if you are having trouble with video after install):

a. AppleACPIPlatform.kext
b. IOPCIFamily.kext
c. ATI5000Controller.kext
d. ATIFramebuffer.kext
e. ATISupport.kext

3. Make sure you have a copy of kextbeast or some other kext installer. kextbeast is really easy to use and it will work with the kexts that you have copied to your desktop.

4. Download the combo update for 10.6.8. DO NOT USE SOFTWARE UPDATE.

5. Install the 10.6.8 combo update. DO NOT REBOOT.

6. Run kextbeast to reinstall your working kexts that you copied to the desktop.

7. Run multibeast. You will need to reenable UserDSDT (This is if you are using a DSDT file as I am. Make sure your DSDT file is on your desktop) and System Utilities. You will need to install your sound drivers again (ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback). Select any other options you want/need. (I just reinstalled everything from the standard template. But you should only need the sound drivers.)

8. Reboot

9. Once you come back up, you will be at 10.6.8 with everything working as before.

My system setup is as follows:

Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz
6 GB of DDR3 1333 RAM
1 TB SATA Seagate Drive (Windows 7 installed)
1 TB SATA Seagate Drive (Mac OS x 10.6.8 installed)
XFX ATI 5770 1 GB RAM Graphics Card

Any chance you could zip those Kext's for me?

Here you go. This zip contains the following kext for 10.6.7:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (used to solve issues with PCI KPs)
ATI5000Controller.kext (10.6.7 ATI 5000 driver)
ATIFramebuffer.kext
ATISupport.kext
IOPCIFamily.kext (used to solve issues with PCI KP)

Let me know how it goes.

CatalysTim said:
Having the same "halfway-through-10.6.8-KPs" and "ACPI SMC AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement timed out". Tried deleting IOPlatformPluginFamily, AppleHPET (to stop Multibeast from failing) SleepEnabler and NVClockX to no avail. Also tried installing Multibeast options one at a time, failed on the first one. Never managed to boot after updating to 10.6.8, tried all flags, pmVersion, busratio, cpus.

Can someone kindly upload or send me a copy of Multibeast 3.7.2? I want to revert to 10.6.7 for now and sit out 10.6.8 until Lion's polished. Much appreciated, guys.

Many thanks,
Tim

i need the bridgehelper (latest version), my mail [email protected], thanks

thanks to casheddie - it works for me.

Sleep doesn't work yet and also I would need to make USB rollback, but my geekbench score jumped more than 400 points, so it looks like it was worth all the fiddling.
Thx to all who share the informations with all of us.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=17779&p=148882#p148882

Hello all!

My first post and my first update on my Hackintosh.

All went well. I had to hard reset my rig after the update finished. It rebooted itself once again after boot screen. I logged into 10.6.8 with no sound. That was expected though. Did an AppleHDA Rollback with MultiBeast. Now everything works (sleep included).

Thanks to TonyMac and the Community.

Cheers,

Hay, anyone got a solution to network preferences crashing? i've deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot. but loading network prefs still crashes. on a side note, energy saver preferences does the same thing.

I have an Asus P5K-E mobo with Q6600 cpu. 10.6.7 was working fine until the 10.6.8 update. I did the rollback but still USB do not work at all. My mobo has a PS2 port for keyboard but not mouse. Mouse is USB only. But USB is non-functional. Anybody know what kext I need for the USB on this board to work again ? I can't do multibeast because my mouse don't work. I have to do everything vie terminal....thanks for any help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back