Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated my system to 10.6.8, had to use multibeast AppleHDA rollback to restore audio.

System working like charm, no issues.

[SOLVED] - Installed Chameleon for Windows and that allowed me to boot :D

I have updated to 10.6.8 and system is not booting anymore...

I have tried to boot with iBoot and I get this message:
EBIOS read error: Device timeout
Block 0x4af798 sectors 0

It worked perfect with 10.6.7 and the CD/DVD device is the same I used the first time I installed Mac OS X...

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Hi
Since in did the update (from the software updater) i can't boot anymore. I tried -x and - v on chameleon, then with the iBoot cd.
But i'm always stuck at the Apple logo. The HDD is scratching, i know he's working but he eventually stops scratching and nothing else happens.
Any idea? plz??

Can't install/update on P8H67M-PRO.
Always get kernel panic around 70%.
Tried clean install, and combo update from 10.6.7.

Any idea?

Thanks.

The standard update worked for me, but the combo update did not.

I tried the combo update in several ways with no success - I got kernel panics whatever I tried.

The most interesting failure was this: I have two 10.6.7 boot disks that are mirror images of one another, maintained using Carbon Copy Cloner (the best piece of software that a hackintosh owner can own). When I booted from one disk, and then tried to install the 10.6.8 combo to the second disk, the install failed and I got a message to "contact the vendor".

I restored the second disk, and then tried the same install method using the standard update, and it worked with no issues. Had to update the audio using Multibeast, but no big deal.

I'll run it today, but so far it seems stable.

silentsage said:
The standard update worked for me, but the combo update did not.

I tried the combo update in several ways with no success - I got kernel panics whatever I tried.

The most interesting failure was this: I have two 10.6.7 boot disks that are mirror images of one another, maintained using Carbon Copy Cloner (the best piece of software that a hackintosh owner can own). When I booted from one disk, and then tried to install the 10.6.8 combo to the second disk, the install failed and I got a message to "contact the vendor".

I restored the second disk, and then tried the same install method using the standard update, and it worked with no issues. Had to update the audio using Multibeast, but no big deal.

I'll run it today, but so far it seems stable.

as toosixy pointed out. if you did a speedstepper modification or for some other reason you do no have nullintecpupowermanagement.kext or wahtever it is called in the /E/E you will have a KP on appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext when it is installed. i am assuming this is the KP message you get. otherwise it worked flawless for me to install.

Have been looking through thread and see that everyone using ATI 5000 series with DisplayPort gets no video .... any solution aside from reverting back to 10.6.7 kexts?

silentsage said:
as toosixy pointed out. if you did a speedstepper modification or for some other reason you do no have nullintecpupowermanagement.kext or wahtever it is called in the /E/E you will have a KP on appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext when it is installed. i am assuming this is the KP message you get. otherwise it worked flawless for me to install.

Same here: I reverted to NullCPUPM in E/E because I ran a modified AppleIntelCPUPM kext, then installed 10.6.8 with NetworkUpdate.
It rebooted fine, I repatched AppleIntelCPUPM with flAker SpeedStepper, add my vendor,device id to AppleLPC.kext, removed NullCPUPM from E/E, ran Multibeast to get the HDA rollback and Voilà: 10.6.8 with SpeedStep, Turbo and Sleep. :)

10.6.8 is a horrid update for most, even some real mac users from what im reading. so i hosed my SL install the other day and could not recover. i woke up super early today at 4:30am and decided to give it another go. took me 3, count that 3 tries until i go it. i backed up 10.6.7 kexts and upgraded, then reinstalled them, did multibeast and every other time i rebooted it wouldn't start unless i booted in safe mode. then after a total reinstall of multibeast 3.7.3 my system was hosed again. :banghead:

i have no idea why some on here with my same specs had luck because all the sudden my pc hates osx. i was going to wait for lion to come but i figure if 10.6.8 is this bad, how bad will lion be on my PC? so i guess im back to windows 7, ive wasted enough time trying to get this working on a system that was built for osx86. horrid update IMO.

thanks to tonymac for the opportunity to relish & enjoy osx for the past 4 months. sadly i think it's over for me.

my advice to some of you is to skip this and wait and see how well lion plays when it comes out in july.

I didn't have the speed stepper mod (whatever that is), and E/E had the nullCPUpowermanagement kext, and it still failed with the combo update.

The circumstance that the 10.6.8 install failed when it was installing the OS to a target disk other than the one that was the boot disk suggests that there is something wrong in the combo install process. I suspect that what is happening is that:

1) The combo installer makes a critical change when it installs new extensions.
2) If the error is made on the disk that the system booted from, and that is being updated, you get a KP from one of the changes when the system tries to use that code.
3) If the error made on a target disk that is being updated, but is not the boot disk, then the installer at some point detects the error and you get the error message.

The error seems to be related to kexts that were added after the 10.6.7 install (like the ones we use for our hackintosh). The combo update will try to update all kexts that were part of the series of updates from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8, and it will over-write any kexts that are not part of the standard OS X set for 10.6.8 (that is why most of us lose aour audio kexts). The standard update will only update kexts that changed between 10.6.7 and 10.6.8. If we have kexts that we've purposefully altered for hackintosh purposes, and they are not part of the 10.6.8 update, the installer will leave them unaltered.

I have no idea what the problematic kexts are, but it would appear that the variable results that folks are getting are related to differences they have in their set of kexts when the install process starts.

I'm no expert, and it will be interesting to see what the experts find on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back