Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
loulou123 said:
Dayvo said:
I'm getting kernel Panic near the end of the 10.6.8 update on my fresh install (10.6.3)

Any Ideas?

Hi,

Got the same here (core i3-2100 + Giada mini-itx motherboard). I found that which works perfectly well for me, from insanelymac (Kyle_C @ May 24 2011, 03:11 PM):
[...]
* use iBoot to install SL retail (Note: I guess it works from a 10.6.7 too)
* remove ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (to prevent a KP during OS update), touch /System/Library/Extensions, and reboot (Note: in my case I reboot with iboot 3.1.0)
* update to 10.6.8, but don't reboot
[... keep going with standard stuff, multibeast etc...]

++

SUCCESS!!! :headbang: :D :headbang:

- I started a fresh install using the 10.6.3 installation disc and iBoot 3.1.0
- Deleted ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

- Ran this command in the terminal "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions"
- Ran MultiBeast 3.7.3 just selecting System Utilities
- Rebooted
- Installed 10.6.8 as normal with MultiBeast 3.7.3

Everything works very well :D

updated and reloaded appleHDA from multibeast. no issues at bootup.

downloaded - update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
installed updated
restarted

ran multibeast - loaded appleHDA
restarted

back to business
specs in sig.

just for giggles.
9a2e0f76.png

Trom said:
Good idea. Is there a pattern developing as to what is causing ppl particular issues. One thing I've noticed is that some of the ppl who had a trouble free update(relatively speaking) are using ATI cards.

Not True. I'm using an EVGA GeForce GT240 card.

Most boring update.... run 10.6.8 combo update, then reboot...
(did not run multibeast or re-installed kexts).

PC started, no KP, and back to desktop. I'm running at 64-bit.

For anyone who can't access the App Store, check if you have in your com.apple.boot.plist...
Code:
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

I added this to mine and it works again.

Mine installed, then tried to use MultiBeast and it crashed, reopened and it said it couldn't work or something along the lines of that, don't remember what exactly. Tried it again, and it just froze, so I thought I was screwed. Restarted in SafeMode and deleted the Voodoo because in my Kernal Panic it said something about Voodoo, deleted that and what do ya know, no KP at start up. Now It's running, however I keep getting random KP's all of the time. :banghead: I should have never updated.

what I dont get is why Multibeast keeps saying it failed.

casheddie said:
sanyi83 said:
I gave this a shot on my cloned 10.6.7 for my X58 board and all seemed to go fine until Multibeast said it failed. It appeared it got everything so I rebooted and then I got a kernal panic right at restart.

casheddie said:
Hey Folks,

I wanted to post a step-by-step solution that may help most people that are having issues with the 10.6.8 update. I had the sames issues (sitting at the white Apple screen after install of the update) and after reading through the various posts in this thread, I was able to pull together a workable solution outlined below:

1. PLEASE make a backup of your working 10.6.7 install using either time machine or clone copy.

2. You will need to make a copy of a few kexts from your working 10.6.7 and put them on your desktop. Below is the list of the ones you will need (for this example, I’m listing kexts for my specific graphics card family which is the ATI5000 because I now have the ATI 5770. You may need to copy a different set of kexts if you are having trouble with video after install):

a. AppleACPIPlatform.kext
b. IOPCIFamily.kext
c. ATI5000Controller.kext
d. ATIFramebuffer.kext
e. ATISupport.kext

3. Make sure you have a copy of kextbeast or some other kext installer. kextbeast is really easy to use and it will work with the kexts that you have copied to your desktop.

4. Download the combo update for 10.6.8. DO NOT USE SOFTWARE UPDATE.

5. Install the 10.6.8 combo update. DO NOT REBOOT.

6. Run kextbeast to reinstall your working kexts that you copied to the desktop.

7. Run multibeast. You will need to reenable UserDSDT (This is if you are using a DSDT file as I am. Make sure your DSDT file is on your desktop) and System Utilities. You will need to install your sound drivers again (ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback). Select any other options you want/need. (I just reinstalled everything from the standard template. But you should only need the sound drivers.)

8. Reboot

9. Once you come back up, you will be at 10.6.8 with everything working as before.

My system setup is as follows:

Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz
6 GB of DDR3 1333 RAM
1 TB SATA Seagate Drive (Windows 7 installed)
1 TB SATA Seagate Drive (Mac OS x 10.6.8 installed)
XFX ATI 5770 1 GB RAM Graphics Card

Which version of multibeast are you using? I used the latest version which is 3.7.3.
Also, do you have the 5770 card? If not, you may need to move the specific kexts for your graphics card over.

I have the newest version of Multibeast. I just got mine to boot up in 10.6.8 by doing pmVersion=0 so something is messed up with the sleepenabler. Should I just remove the sleep enabler to get it to boot without the kernal panic?

:clap: Fully Working 10.6.8, Made a big mess initially, I run the update and re-started not realizing that I have to run the multibeast and iousb fmc etc. Also have to remove sleepenabler. anyway everythings up and running :thumbup:

Hi guys, after doing the 10.6.8 upgrade I got a panic on reboot and can't get into single user mode so my only option is terminal on the retail disk.
When I try to delete the kexts It says it's a Read-only filesystem. Any ideas on how to get past that?
Tried sudo and that wasn't recognised.

Woo Hoo I'm 99% working now. Just need to get sleep working right so it shuts fans off again. other than that everything is golden in 10.6.8.

My issue was the damn sleep enabler. I just had to remove that and install the update and rerun multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back