Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeipiika said:
I installed via Software Update this morning. It went okay, rebooted fine but without sound. So I ran the AppleHDA rollback from Multibeast 3.7.2 and rebooted. Four times. Each one general protection KP'd before reaching the spinner.

Rebooted with -v -x. Got to desktop. Mercifully, network drivers loaded so I managed to get here to read through to see if anyone else had this issue (and download the combo update, just in case). I saw some mention of SMC in this thread; I ran Multibeast (curiously, it didn't know what its default app was, but Installer was listed in its right-click "Open With" menu), and reinstalled FakeSMC and the plugins. Rebooted with another KP. Rebooted again normally, for now.

Everything seems to be okay now, but iStat no longer shows my GPU temperature. I'll update RadeonMonitor and see what happens. Done. GPU Diode is present. It might have been there all along, but I just didn't see it.

steps install??

Downloaded update through software update. installed ok but no sound.
This is unusual for me as the previous updates have been installed without any problem.
However after using Multibeast and Apple HDA rollback, sound has been restored.
I was rather nervous about this update given issues highlighted earlier in this forum.
everything seems to be working ok with no issues as yet. PHEW!!!!!!!!!

Installed Combo Update, rebooted, had to install AppleHDA Rollback using MultiBeast and everything is working fine so far! :)

tonymacx86 said:
General Troubleshooting Tips

If you can't boot:
1. Try booting with iBoot
2. If you ran Software Update, download and re-run the 10.6.8 Combo Update again

Things we've noticed about 10.6.8 so far:
1. GRAPHICS: Fermi users will NEED to run the tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update BEFORE rebooting! We're updating this package to include today's NVIDIA driver release. Expect a new version today with both CUDA 4.0 + New Drivers ;)

2. AUDIO: Apple has altered AppleHDA to break support for Realtek 889a- you will need to use AppleHDA Rollback through MultiBeast.

3. GENERAL: Download the full 10.6.8 Combo Update instead of the Software Update utility. Do not use Software Update on iMac or MacBook Pro smbios! MacPro3,1 users should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Decided to brave the 10.6.8 update even with all the issues posted.

As previously reported by some users, got a kernel panic near the end of the update (used combo updater), rebooted, system auto-rebooted itself during first bootup, then system was able to complete boot afterwards.

Everything seems working and stable so far (not sure about onboard audio since I use an external audio device). Ran Cinebench and OpenGL benchmark jumped from 31 fps to 39 fps, so the new ATI drivers seem to be working well for me (Sapphire HD 6850...was using iMac ATI drivers before). Hopefully everything continues to work since the kernel panic during update makes me nervous.

jpa said:
steps install??

1) Use Multibeast to install/update FakeSMC and the plugins (see attached for the settings). Reboot.
2) Head to ProjectOSX and download RadeonMonitor.kext
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643
3) Extract it and put it in /Extra/Extensions
4) Run Kext Utility or your favourite permissions and cache service program. Reboot.
5) iStat's temperature readouts should now have a GPU Diode reading.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-24 at 17.58.58.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-24 at 17.58.58.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 416
Did the Combo update from 10.6.6. to 10.6.8 and got stuck at the apple logo.

(with verbose mode ("-v" as boot option - hit any key in chameleon) stuck at [PCI configuration begin] )

got the system to boot with "DSDT=no".

then removed applehda.kext and reinstalled rollback of applehda.kext via multibeast (not sure that did anything).

still no luck with booting without the "DSDT=no" option.

then replaced AppleACPI & IOPCI kexts as bmas suggested on page 6 of the thread. (he/she posted them on page 7)

now everything is working again. yipee!

Installed using the delta update on a test drive, promptly hung at [PCI Configuration].

Installed 10.6.7 AppleACPIPlatform and OPCIFamily, reboot. Now video stuck at 1024x768. Reinstalled Nvidia drivers, AppleHDA rollback and reboot again, success!

App store is accessible. Haven't really noticed any improvements (or slowdown) in speed or SSD performance.

Jeipiika said:
jpa said:
steps install??

1) Use Multibeast to install/update FakeSMC and the plugins (see attached for the settings). Reboot.
2) Head to ProjectOSX and download RadeonMonitor.kext
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643
3) Extract it and put it in /Extra/Extensions
4) Run Kext Utility or your favourite permissions and cache service program. Reboot.
5) iStat's temperature readouts should now have a GPU Diode reading.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back