Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also having issues with the 10.6.8 update. I have the Maximus IV Extreme rev 03, two 2gb sticks of ddr3, Galaxy GT 240.

For the record, I have never had my audio or usb ports working correctly, so I am going to restore from Time Machine, deauthorize my itunes, and then reinstall from scratch. I have the iBoot Chimera disc, and I have not been able to find any user guides on the Maximus IV Extreme yet. Perhaps if I can get through this and get my setup working 100% I could make one :)

tonymacx86 said:
UPDATE 2011-07-01
For NVIDIA users with the dreaded [ PCI Configuration begin ] stall?
Install this IOPCIFamily.kext to System/Library/Extensions (using KextBeast) to solve the issue- it was posted by oleg on the netkas blog: :thumbup:

Attachments

• IOPCIFamily-FIXED.kext.zip
    130.2 KB · Views: 116
photoshooter said:
This follows up my earlier posting on the dark screen on my third monitor driven by my Radeon 5770 after updating to 10.6.8 on my MAC Pro 1,1. I tried the update from 10.6.7 again but this time, after updating but before rebooting, I installed the updated patch to be found at:

http://macprovideocards.com/new-version ... 6-8-patch/

The result is 'perfect', I have full functionality and all 3 monitors running. Not sure if this will help those who are running hackintosh systems or only MAC based systems but I offer it as a potential savior and/or source of additional wisdom.

I will try this soon...

Thank You...

Any insight on the difference?

I wait just wait to see what Lion brings, being it affected some real Macs I am hoping that they keep it working...I really like 3 monitors...

I know we cannot talk about Lion, but if anyone has knowledge of 5770 3 display in Lion please PM me, or I guess I can just try it when it finally comes out!

Ok - I took my Asus nvideo GeForce GT220 out of my Asus P7G55-M motherboard.
The monitor is now plugged into the motherboard monitor output.
---------------------------------------------
If I run Iboot and then take out the Iboot CD before proceeding (-x -v) - it comes out saying
Mac OS Version:
Not yet set
If I start my computer totally without Iboot, I get the apple window and low and behold a spinning wheel before it crashes due to a panic
If I start with Iboot, leave it in and go to snow leopard (-v) it goes
It goes no DSTD found was reported (I saw that at a glimpse) and then it gets to [PCI Configuration Begin ] on the next screen list
----------------------------------------------
If I start with Iboot, leave it in and go to snow leopard (-v -x) it goes
through 19 screens of read +HFS and every kext it can find and then on the last screen it doesn't load a lot of audio drivers and such because it's in safe mode.
It ends on [PCI Configuration begin]

At no time have I ever seen the desktop since the update...

I've read how people are installing files, changing kexts etc... However, I presume they are doing this through the desktop - which I can't get to...

What's my next step?
Sean

I am happy at least someone else benefited from my hard won wisdom! Since then I've had to trash all of my dock.plist files as one of my 8 CPUs was on 100% of the time. That now is finally fixed too!

Hey tony;

My update to 10.6.8 was smooth as silk, absolutely no issues, only had to reinstall AppleHDA 1.9.9f12 legacy mod version by Taruga/Kabyl plus corresponding HDAEnabler.

System is DSDT based, only requires FakeSMC in E/E (of course), AppleHDA.kext & HDAEnabler.kext (version as noted above), and AppleIntelE1000e.kext v1.2.10-1 in S/L/E. AppleHDA 1.8.7f1 by the same guys enables HDMI audio with the DSDT inclusion in the GFX0 (Device).

My everyday working system (one year old as of July 2011)
Motherboard: Zotac H55ITX-A-E
CPU: Intel iCore i5-750
GPU: EVGA GeForce GT 220 IGB
RAM: 8GB

I also have an i3-540 and i3-550 using the board etc, different GT 220 mfgr's, with the same results, no issues.

The best Zotac DSDT guide is here at tonymacx86.com . . .
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=12940

Everything works, it's the most Mac Like Hackintosh that I know of.

Thanks

z3u4r5dok said:
featherodd,

I got the same screen error as you have now, over and over but after a few tries this was the way how to get around that issue... It may help others as well.
Well guys let me explain what I did.just wanted to post my solution.I've been testing my system for a few days before posting anything just to make sure it's not temporary working solution. What I've I tested so far, automatically and manually going into sleep mode works. Turned off system, swap to windows, restart, open App store is also working internet, as far as I know everything seems to work fine I also put my system in sleep mode for more than 25 hours and came back so smooth. Everything works like a charm and I've been saved doing a total reinstall. Hope my experience can shed some light on some other folks out there that might still be struggling with issues like or similar Kernel Panic Screen as featherodd.

These are the step I took.
1. Repair disk permission
2. Install update 10.6.8 manually
3. Repair disk permission
4. Reboot "No Panic Screen at all came back nicely"
5. Open MultiBeast 3.7.2 newest version
6. Choose DSDT
7. Repair permission on Multibeast
8. AppleHDARollback
9. Reboot and works like a Leopard

MUST TO HAVE YOUR DSDT FILE ON DESKTOP

Note: Using this config settings is the only way that I avoid the Kernel Panic Screen that featherodd is getting I also realized once I go to Mac Info It shows that I am running it under 32 bit if later on try to change it to 64 again I will get the Panic Screen of Dead again YES again. I still need to find a way how to change to 64 but that can wait unless there's someone with a better idea....
One more thing REMEMBER that the new version of Iboot 3.1 is up and running

I hope this can help

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 FF, Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz, SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB, CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB, etc....

z3u4r5dok: I tried those steps but still get Kernel Panics at least 50% of the time on boot. Also my build will still only wake from sleep half the time. Such a bummer.

note: only difference with your steps from what I did originally was repairing permissions and using the 1gb combo update.

Anyone know what the hell is up with these random Kernel Panics?

10.6.8-kernal-panic-06-29-2011-20110630-150316.jpg

cbott said:
I'm getting a [PCI Configuration begin] stall when booting. Tried -x, -v, maxmem=4096, PCIRootUID=1, and arch=i386. Nothing gets me past the stall. I have 2 different kext from 10.6.7 that I think will get me past this. My question is when should I install them (EDIT: and how?)? I can't get in after the 10.6.8 update to install them and that update overrides the older kexts that I had installed.

From everything I've read, it does appear to be a NVidia problem. Any advice would be very helpful. This is my first CustoMac. I'm running a GT 440.

Thank you
Hi cbott, I have a 460 card, so both 400 series!
I too had similar problems, but after reading through hours of posts, the answer was given by tonymacx86 in that there are new nvidia drivers. These will only install on 10.6.8.
So, I upgraded from the full combo update and it asks you to reboot. DO NOT DO THIS

Now install the Nvidia drivers.

When this finished, I rebooted and could get to the OS.
Re ran multibeast to fix audio.

Now I still have some issues in a slower geekbench score 2/3 of what I got on 10.6.7 and unable to log in to app store. So not perfect but, trying to fix!

Jawolf said:
Now I still have some issues in a slower geekbench score 2/3 of what I got on 10.6.7 and unable to log in to app store. So not perfect but, trying to fix!

Check your system definition. It might have changed (don´t know why...).
Reset to (or, if it has been something different before: try) MacPro3,1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back