Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Laptop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i intstalled 10.6.8 in my HP Pavillion dv7-6020ev,with iboot legacy i get the "PCI configuration begins" stuck and with iboot it stucks at "hibrenate image is too old by xxxx second,use ForceWake=y to override".I saw some fix but they are for nvidia graphics i have ATI should i do the same or is there somethink else i should and if so how i could do it now that i can't boot to MacOS?!

The bad news: I could not boot up until I made all these changes. I had to do them using terminal when booting to an installation disk, which is not very convenient. I was not even able to boot to single-user mode.

There's where I am as 10.8.6 showed up this afternoon. Not only does boot-up just hang, but the iBoot disc causes a kernal panic. Where do I even start the diagnostics?

Ugh. If I could delete this post, I would. Please ignore. :banghead:

7ocean said:
hello! i adopted your method but i can't boot without iboot. the kernel panic appears again when i tried to boot with iboot by 3rd time.

Post an image or text of your kernel panic, its certainly one of your kexts and if you can boot with iBoot it can be fixed.

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but any 1005HAB EeePC users and similar who are lost may find my experience useful.

I previously tried to update to 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 but had different problems. I had less trouble doing the 10.6.8 and 10.6.7 combo upgrades from a mostly untouched install.

Hi. New to the board but not the OSX86 scene. I have a Dell E6410 with the Intel integrated graphics and was running 10.6.6 just fine. I accidentally updated to 10.6.8 through Software Update and now all I get is a kp. Tried booting with iBoot, but get same kp.

Is this fixable or do I need to go back and start with 10.6.3? Either way, my end goal is to get Lion installed.

Also, I'm doing all this on a dual boot with Win7 and would like to keep that partition in tact if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0291[1].JPG
    IMG_0291[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 275
I think that you may need to start over on 10.6.3, get up to 10.6.6 or later and install Lion from there. I skipped 10.6.8 because it brought too many problems and IOPlatformExpert.cpp is one I wasn't able to solve myself and just ended up reinstalling without disturbing my Win 7 install. Just remember to have an iBoot disk on hand to boot into OSX as it will delete the bootloader when you reinstall! Good luck

Hello, I`ve followed this guide http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html. But when I`ve ran the combo update, I got kernel panic during the update. It says it caused applesmcpdrc... Only thing I`ve done different from the guide is that I`ve applied usb patch after installation, because my usb ports weren`t working.

I have packard bell tm85
i3 2.4Ghz
Ati hd mobility radeon 5470

ahero4heor said:
I think that you may need to start over on 10.6.3, get up to 10.6.6 or later and install Lion from there. I skipped 10.6.8 because it brought too many problems and IOPlatformExpert.cpp is one I wasn't able to solve myself and just ended up reinstalling without disturbing my Win 7 install. Just remember to have an iBoot disk on hand to boot into OSX as it will delete the bootloader when you reinstall! Good luck
I figured I'd have to start over, the problem is, the sscreenshot I posted is what I get when I try to boot with iBoot. I can't it to boot no matter what I've tried. (-x, etc.)

Just reporting that I updated to 10.6.8 with no problems. Backed up entire Macbook with Time Machine and then used Disk Utility to verify permissions. Afterwards I verified the disk and once everything was OK I then went and updated everything EXCEPT 10.6.8. Rebooted, emptied trash and reverified permissions and then verified the disk. Closed all applications and downloaded the 10.6.8 COMBO update. I then installed it. Rebooted. Once I was back in I then (again) used Disk Utility to verify permissions, correct problems and then I verified the disk with DU as well. At that point I began checking that everything worked. Airport: OK. USB ports: OK. VLC player and iTunes: OK. Sound: OK. Battery charging? Yes.

Everything worked out fine and so far. I allowed the battery to drop to 25% and then I plugged in the laptop and it recharged to 100%.

The update has been very smooth and no problems so far. Very fast machine. Firefox 6 working a treat as is Safari. No delays, so slow downs, no nada. Perfect. Thank you.

So I know there are quite a few people struggling with HP Sandy Bridge dv7 laptops out there and this combo update. I finally got mine to boot, fixed resolution using Intel HD3000 (still no ATI 6770, but for others with slightly different gpus you might be in luck since the latest chimera seems to support them all but mine) QE/CI works as well so you can run nice graphics at real screen resolution.
I also got ethernet working, power management (although fan doesn't seem to ever fully quit entirely during idle. I have USB 2 (I believe USB 3 hung my system, haven't tried it again), both internal disks (but they always registered) and a host of other niceties but still no wifi, audio or discrete gpu.
I should also mention, I made my own dsdt (which I can provide for dv7-6195 based mods) but still have to boot with -v busratio=20 cpus=1. Without these automatic kernel panic (also had one while fiddling around in OS so not out of the woods yet.) However, I have had it up and running for most of the night as I became acquainted with OS (this is my first Mac, although I plan on getting the missus MBA soon, and can use Lion upgrade)
I will post tutorial of what I did, and what I plan to do, but right now need to get some shut eye.
Its taken me well over a month so I hope I can assist someone else from avoiding the agony I have had to endure. Next time I will build a customac because trying to spec a laptop to match MBP isn't the best approach.
Cheers to Tony, MacMan, netkas, etc. for blazing the trail so we can all bask in the OSX glory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back