Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.7 Early 2011 MacBook Pro Sandy Bridge Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

I don't understand, don't work for me, I can't isntall 10.6.7 "unsupported" system error

I've carrefully follow the "How To" smbios.plist and SystemVersion.plist are correctly modified, clean install from 10.6.3 retail -> 10.6.6 combo update -> 10.6.7

Do you really have to run 32x multiplier ?

What does it mean? What mean "This software is not supported by your system" ???

I'm trying to install the 10.6.7 MacBookPro 2011 update, but I can because this error. I allready done all of TODO, to install this update.

Attachments

• ?????? ?????? 2011-03-23 ? 3.22.32.png
    ?????? ?????? 2011-03-23 ? 3.22.32.png
    38 KB · Views: 280
I think I'll stop trying for now. After my new 10.6.6 install I still can't proceed with the 10.6.7 MBP.

However for some reason I can now boot with the full 8MB memory, and also for some reason my CPU seems to run at 4GHz from the default 3.4 (weird, I thought H67 motherboards can't overclock no matter what)... and it smokes the top of the list in cinebench single-threaded :D

cinej.png

Say Heading said:
Gordo74 said:
I'll move my question here from the official update thread...

"How would one update to 10.6.6 and reboot into 10.6.6 to install this special 10.6.7 without using bridgehelper, therefore installing the legacy kernel?"

This is a very good question and no one seems to be able nor interested even to discuss it.
I was close just to give it a try - installing again from scratch, dragging RAM>4GB out, disconnecting unneeded HDs, go from 10.6.3 dvd via combo update 10.6.6 and sandy bridge update 10.6.7 without bridgehelper - but thinking about it for a while I am convinced right now that I would have failed.

Without having detailed technical background knowledge about what is included in the 10.6.7 update or what bridgehelper does I do have the impression that we will have to use bridgehelper until there is a system update available which addresses all different processors used by apple without the option to just update parts of the kernel which is already installed before and which is a specially branded SB kernel also.

This will not be the case until Apple is only updating.
It must be an "update" that installs everything from scratch which would basically be a "new" installation.
In other words: As long as there is no new retail system dvd available which would allow to install a naked system irrespectively what kind of processor is in use, bridgehelper will still be required.
And this - in my opinion - will earliest be the case when Apple releases 10.7.0.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'll be interested to see what TonyMac et al come up with. Everything is working on my system as it is now, so I am satisfied with using Bridge Helper and hopefully being able to upgrade to Lion when the time comes.

Thx Tonymac! very nice guide. I am able to install MBR update. The only problem for now is, it boot up and stuck right after apple logo in a White screen with a cursor with -x or blue screen for normal boot up.

i7 2600k
Sapphine 6970
(GraphicsEnabler = No)
Asus P8P67 Pro

Try many ways to make 6970 works.. still no luck until now.. Can any1 help me?

No way to go for me either !!

Hey Guys, still have sucess, but anyone with i5 getting 32x max? Higher getting kp?
And the ddr3 1333 memory not showing, appears only 800 mhz ddr2

Thoughts?

Thanks Guys

I have finally managed to do it!

First I used Turco_ninja's method but the MBP Install partition wouldn't boot so I could not do a fresh installation on a new HD.
1) I did manage to get the Install partition to boot properly after I edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics card ID (0x68BE1002). It's a HD5750 BTW.
2) After I did the fresh installation I booted from my original SSD, ran the 10.6.7 MBP Combo update on the new HD. Make sure your smbios.plist has the MacBookPro8,x line in it otherwise you won't be able to run the Update.
3) I then edited again the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002) on the new HD.
4) I then ran Chameleon 747 on the new HD, choosing only the ChameleonRC5 option, so I can boot from it.
5) I then ran Mulltibeast using only the System Utilities, ALC Audio 892, Lnx2Mac Realtek, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Sandy Bootloader, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen and MacBookPro System Definition options.
6) I then deleted the GraphicsEnabler line in com.apple.Boot.plist.
I could now reboot straight from the new HD and it runs the latest kernel (6 March).

So there were two crucial things to get it going:
1) Edited the Info.plist file in the ATI5000Controller.kext to include my graphics ID (0x68BE1002). This solved the hanging at boot. If you have a different graphics card you might have to do something else.
2) Use the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. Without it you get a KP when booting.

I also found out that I couldn't change the SMproductname in the smbios.plist file. If I did I got a KP at boot.

I am now going to try to run the 10.6.7 Update on my existing SB installation and see if I can get it working using the information above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back