Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going Bald said:
melon said:
Tried replacing 10.6.5 NVDAResman.kext to 10.6.4, i got a kernel panic...
Read some more.... It seems I also need the 10.6.4 NVDANV50Hal.kext

Again requesting 10.6.4 NVDANV50Hal.kext please... Tnx!

BTW, the issues I'm encountering are common to G92 type NVIDIA cards like 8800GT. base on some forums I read.

Tnx again... tried replace NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext and even NVDANV40Hal.kext but gave me a blackscreen boot that needs hard restart.
So back to it's original kext and back to same issue. :(

I can confirm a working 10.6.5 SL :)
Asus P7P55 LX with (own) DSDT ,Ati 5750

Everything works on 10.6.5 with native (Auto)Sleep/Hibernate, native Speedstep and full Graphics in 64Bit with Graphics Enabler=Yes.

1 Boot with Iboot for 10.6.5 and Install Snow Leopard
2 Install 10.6.5 ComboUpdate
3 The Update installs the Graphics Update so you have to add your Device ID to ATI5000Controller.kext again.
4 Install Multibeast with Custom DSDT,Chameleon 2.0RC5, boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=Yes,Boot in 64 Bit
5 Replace the Boot File with the modified one for Ati5000 Series from Kabyl
6 REBOOT

Voila. now youre on 10.6.5

Update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 was working fine too :)
I was simply running the Combo Update and ofcourse i had to add my DeviceID to Ati5000 Controller.kext again, and also Multibeast Setup with Cutom DSDT After that the boot file must be replaced again (only when youve a ATI 5000 GPU)

Im happy.

melon said:
Going Bald said:
melon said:
Tried replacing 10.6.5 NVDAResman.kext to 10.6.4, i got a kernel panic...
Read some more.... It seems I also need the 10.6.4 NVDANV50Hal.kext

Again requesting 10.6.4 NVDANV50Hal.kext please... Tnx!

BTW, the issues I'm encountering are common to G92 type NVIDIA cards like 8800GT. base on some forums I read.

Tnx again... tried replace NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext and even NVDANV40Hal.kext but gave me a blackscreen boot that needs hard restart.
So back to it's original kext and back to same issue. :(

I´ve opened this thread: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=7753 regarding to especially the 3D performance issues - also because this thread had become so big with over 33 pages.

This thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=12569950 discusses similar issues on original macs.

My hackintosh (gt9800) and my original MacBookPro (gt9600) has very slow 3D performance (20 FPS ) after upgrading to 10.6.5 - 2D works fine.

walaw said:
I´ve opened this thread: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=7753 regarding to especially the 3D performance issues - also because this thread had become so big with over 33 pages.

This thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=12569950 discusses similar issues on original macs.

My hackintosh (gt9800) and my original MacBookPro (gt9600) has very slow 3D performance (20 FPS ) after upgrading to 10.6.5 - 2D works fine.

Thanks for the info.. this is something to look forward too...

Okay so... I installed the update not thinking to check the forum first, then my USB didnt work. Well, USB 1 didnt work (iphone synced fine). After a night of thinking as a last resort before reinstalling, I thought my old USB hub might be 2.0. So plugged it in, plugged my mouse and keyboard into the hub, and they worked! After that I installed the IOUSBFamily 10.2 rollback, and usb worked fine by itself. Moral of the story, check the forum and always run multibeast before restarting after an update. :beachball: :beachball:

Still have a fubar'd license for team viewer but otherwise almost everything else is working fine including timed and manual sleeping and restart/shutdown. I never needed sleepenabler before and still don't I suppose because I'm running an i5? Initially after updating I had trouble waking from sleep but it resolved itself after running diskutil repair.

One curious thing is that my i5 GA-P55-USB3 Hack Pro upgraded to using the 64bit kernel as I've read that it should but my new i5 Macbook Pro is still 32bit. Both were updated using software update. Anybody know why?

Also I had no luck getting USB 3.0 to work. When I had the modded kext installed and the bios settings enabled for USB 3.0 my USB storage was non-working.

I've run into a problem, can someone tell me what it means when you can't boot into snow leopard without iboot? However when I'm attempting to boot without the cd, it stalls at the apple logo with a revolving circle underneath it.

I tried deleting the E/E/ mkext

and then disk utility and kext utility

anyone know how to get it functional again?

Update on my ASUS P7P55D-E PRO w/i7-860 & EVGA 9500 GT:

Now I am able to boot from the HD most of the time. On some occasions, the machine will not boot at all, seems stuck at the bios start with a blank black screen displayed. A reset always makes it boot ok.

After boot and log in, system works fine with the following exceptions:

1. No USB storage support (I think its basically DOS formated drives)
USB keyboard, mouse, and scanner work fine.
Also found I am unable to update my Garmin GPS (USB storage device!)
Firewire devices all work ok (iSight and ext Maxtor Drive)

2. Unable to awake mac if sleep mode is activated.
Had to delete the sleep kext, getting KP at boot.

3. When running Lightroom, system seems to be running slow.
Almost like the processor is not stepping up to faster speed.

Once I can fix these 3 things, I will be a happy camper. 10.6.4 ran perfect, its interesting 10.6.5 does not. Wonder if Apple is trying to make it more difficult for us hackintosh users.

If anyone has any suggestions... thanks in advance!

Tonymacx86... thanks for the forum, very valuable!!!
lnx2mac... thanks for the kext.

Finally went ahead and installed the update. After, used Multibeast to fix the sound and install USB 3.0 support. After reboot everything works, the system seems a bit snappier and it has seemed to fix the front panel audio (which I now get! System Preferences now changes from Internal Speakers to Headphones when I plug headphones in to the front). There are also a couple of new Preference Panes I do not remember, and in System Profiler there is now an entry for Card Reader (maybe I can use my card reader/fan controller! Will test later.)

Thought I would post again to update you all as it seems lots of people are reverting to versions of IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from 10.6.4. I upgraded my 10.6.4 as listed below in my previous post using the 10.6.5 Combo update and have now done a fresh install on another drive in the same machine.

I installed 10.6 using latest iBoot 2.5.1 and updated to 10.6.5 with combo updater . I applied Multibeast 2.4 and again what worked for me was using the 10.6.5 versions i.e. not applying the 10.6.2 rollback for IOUSBFamily.

The only issue I appear to have with USB is that my Broadcom USB dongle needs to be on an external powered USB hub otherwise I need to unplug and replug it to make it work each time.

Hope this is useful to those investigating USB issues.

the_gael said:
After several false starts have managed to get 10.6.5 running on my GA-EP45-UD3LR.

I had issues with USB external drives not working after updating using the Combo update, latest iBoot + Multibeast and selecting the option for the IOUSBFamily Rollback.

After numerous attempts and basic PR I tried the following and it appears to have worked although I had to move my USB Bluetooth dongle to powered USB Hub to ensure it works after reboots.

I booted from iBoot CD and selected my SL install - I then deleted the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. Emptied the trash.

I then re-installed the 10.6.5 Combo Update (in order to use the USB drivers from there) once completed I did not reboot - I started Multibeast and chose the following options which suit my machine.

System Utilities > Rebuild Caches, Repair Permissions.
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > Legacy HDA > ALC888
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > HDAEnabler > ALC888
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback
Advanced Options > Kexts > Disk > IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
Advanced Options > Kexts > Graphics > Enablers > ATY_Init Vervet
Advanced Options > Kexts > Network > Realtek RTL8169 Ethernet
Advanced Options > Kexts > Non-DSDT Systems > fakesmc, EvOreboot, LegacyAppleRTC, NullCPUPowerManagement

DID NOT SELECT IOUSBFamily 10.6.2 Rollback under Miscellaneous

Advanced Options > Chameleon > Chameleon 2.0 RC5 Prerelease
Advanced Options > com.apple.boot.plist > 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No
Advanced Options > smbios.plist > Mac Pro > Quad-Core Xeon
Advanced Options > Themes > tonymacx86 Theme

Once it had all completed, my USB drives work again including a USB Key with DOS formatting.

Hope this helps some people.

My hardware is as per my signature.

Only issue I have had so far after several reboots is Bluetooth Dongle needing to be removed and plugged in again to work after reboot. After shifting it from the front of my machine (which is a media-centre) to a powered USB hub it works and my apple wireless keyboard and mouse work fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back