Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.5 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After several false starts have managed to get 10.6.5 running on my GA-EP45-UD3LR.

I had issues with USB external drives not working after updating using the Combo update, latest iBoot + Multibeast and selecting the option for the IOUSBFamily Rollback.

After numerous attempts and basic PR I tried the following and it appears to have worked although I had to move my USB Bluetooth dongle to powered USB Hub to ensure it works after reboots.

I booted from iBoot CD and selected my SL install - I then deleted the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. Emptied the trash.

I then re-installed the 10.6.5 Combo Update (in order to use the USB drivers from there) once completed I did not reboot - I started Multibeast and chose the following options which suit my machine.

System Utilities > Rebuild Caches, Repair Permissions.
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > Legacy HDA > ALC888
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > HDAEnabler > ALC888
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback
Advanced Options > Kexts > Disk > IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
Advanced Options > Kexts > Graphics > Enablers > ATY_Init Vervet
Advanced Options > Kexts > Network > Realtek RTL8169 Ethernet
Advanced Options > Kexts > Non-DSDT Systems > fakesmc, EvOreboot, LegacyAppleRTC, NullCPUPowerManagement

DID NOT SELECT IOUSBFamily 10.6.2 Rollback under Miscellaneous

Advanced Options > Chameleon > Chameleon 2.0 RC5 Prerelease
Advanced Options > com.apple.boot.plist > 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No
Advanced Options > smbios.plist > Mac Pro > Quad-Core Xeon
Advanced Options > Themes > tonymacx86 Theme

Once it had all completed, my USB drives work again including a USB Key with DOS formatting.

Hope this helps some people.

My hardware is as per my signature.

Only issue I have had so far after several reboots is Bluetooth Dongle needing to be removed and plugged in again to work after reboot. After shifting it from the front of my machine (which is a media-centre) to a powered USB hub it works and my apple wireless keyboard and mouse work fine again.

Attachments

• Files.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 114
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OK, now I'm pissed... I fired up TeamViewer which I've been using privately and free for years and it says I'm denied access to their server! I called their tech support and it seems that somehow my license has been corrupted and I have the same license number as a paid commercial customer! Not only can they not help me get it working again but I got the feeling that they thought it was because I tried to use a cracked version! I just emailed a trouble ticket to them but WTF? Anybody know of a good alternative to TeamViewer? I don't know how this happened but it was today and that means either Software update did it or multibeast or VoodooHDA 256 installer or CarbonCopy.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So, my wife did the update from apple when i was at work. Now I get a kernal panic when I try to boot and the new iBoot CD causes a kernal panic as well. The old iBoot CD i had will boot, but my USB mouse and keyboard do not work so I can't get any further.

After Update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 for the P55M-UD2, i7, with NV GT240, I Have to run Multibeast again to set Audio (LegacyHDA). Sleep doesn`t work because the option "Reboot after System-Fail" isn`t marked as before. After setting the Marker to it, sleep work again.

I had installed a Broadcom WLAN-PCI-CARD at the Point of Update. After Restart this Card wouldn`t recognized anymore. Clean Preferences, Refresh Airport-Kext, IONetwork-Kext doesn`t work. IOREG doesn`t display the WLAN-Card :banghead:
Is there anybody out there who know what`s wrong :|

I desided to make a fresh Install at an external HD. Now it works fine for me :lol: (but only on the fresh Installation :problem:

Thanks to tony and to all Users for there great help :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2010-11-12 um 13.43.04.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2010-11-12 um 13.43.04.png
    425.2 KB · Views: 237
dbruns said:
So, my wife did the update from apple when i was at work. Now I get a kernal panic when I try to boot and the new iBoot CD causes a kernal panic as well. The old iBoot CD i had will boot, but my USB mouse and keyboard do not work so I can't get any further.

dbruns
When you try and boot from the new iBoot CD is there a USB Hard Drive connected to the computer. If there is try disconnecting it and then booting from the iBoot CD. If this works have a look at my post (2 above yours) and see if there is anything there that can help you. It sounds as if you have the same USB issues I did.

beelzebozo said:
zcreem said:
OK I replaced the DSDT with clean one and I am logged in again. All this because I used the Apple updater, wont happen again.
Only thing left to check is if sleep is enabled properly, usb and sound (yay! sound) all working fine.
Thanks Tony and the rest of you gurus and guruets.

Edit: Need to find a SleepEnable.kext for 10.6.5 and I am good to go, it looks like the GT9800 is working better it appears to be syncing properly no tearing, yet anyway.

edited

The sleepEnabler on the Dutch site work in 32but mode at least, the video tearing is still there however, but i am back to where I was before the update, but with 10.6.5 yay!

What is the link to the sleepenabler that you used? The one from kexts.com didn't seem to work for me.

The one on http://www.kexts.com/view/591-sleepenabler.kext.html but I do not have 64bit enabled as I said only 32 bit for now.

the_gael said:
dbruns said:

dbruns
When you try and boot from the new iBoot CD is there a USB Hard Drive connected to the computer. If there is try disconnecting it and then booting from the iBoot CD. If this works have a look at my post (2 above yours) and see if there is anything there that can help you. It sounds as if you have the same USB issues I did.
No usb drive just mouse and keyboard

I can get a ps2 keyboard to work but no mouse

I reinstalled multibeast and kexts but i still get a kernal error. Im gonna try the combo update next tosee if it fixed the pro lem

Twa said:
- NVidia CUDA pick pop-up every MAC start. tell me need Update Although I installed Lastest Driver ver.
same for me, i just deleted this ****ing annoying prefpane. suppose to update cuda driver manually )

Two systems, one good (so far), one not so good. First, the problem system:

:arrow: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L, Gigabybe PCIe nvidia 8400GS - Upgrade problems. Hung with Blue Screen on shutdown after Combo 10.6.5 install over new (working) 10.6.3 retail installation. This was without running Multibeast after the combo install (or ever). On reboot from iBoot, goes into "Hold Power Button" screen cycle, and won't boot from Snow Leopard hard disk.

Was working pretty well on retail 10.6.3 install, which was installed from iBoot, without running Multibeast. I'm not using Multibeast on this system, because Easybeast clobbers the nvidia video, and being a noob I don't know how to get around this with DSDT or whatever.

There is another thread on the G31M-ES2L, http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3080&hilit=g31m&start=10, and many there appear to be having similar problems, e.g., display limited to 1024x768 after running Multibeast. I can overcome this in the retail 10.6.3 version simply by not using Multibeast -- in which case the nvidia card supports scads of resolutions. But the combo update to 10.6.5 makes SL unbootable.

:arrow: My other system, a Foxcon G41M, also with nvidia 8400 GS card, upgraded flawlessly. Everything was working under 10.6.3 (yes I bought two DVDs) and then 10.6.4, and still seems to work under 10.6.5. I did apply Easybeast to the Foxcon system (at each stage), and it worked. So the Foxcon plus nvidia 8400 seems to provide a very functional and stable Hackintosh with very little BS so far. But one system working is not enough.

The Gigabyte G31M-ES2L was supposed to be the "easy" one of these two motherboards, but so far I can't get it to take this upgrade (among other problems). While reviewers on Newegg suggest that they had a lot of success with this MB, so far it has been plagued with problems for me.

In addition to the boot problems on the Gigabyte, I'm mystified as to why Multibeast clobbers the nvidia settings on the Gigabyte system and not the Foxcon, when they both have nearly identical 8400 GS cards. I could try swapping them to see if there may be obscure differences between the EVGA and Gigabyte implementations of the 8400 GS.

Also wondering if there is a way to fiddle with a non-bootable disk (as I now have on the Gigabyte system) to avoid a(nother) time-consuming install from retail.

SOLVED - Booted with vanilla mach_kernel to get it back running. Then just a question of selecting the right options in Multibeast (i.e., read the FM). Selected Easybeast, and also VoodooHDA, NVEnabler, IOUSB rollback, utilities including kext installer. That fixed most of it. Finally, installed the Atheros1CEthernet kext, which got the network going, and all else seems to be fine. The only issue remaining that jumps out at me is USB storage, but I'm sure that's resolvable. Tomorrow...

machuero said:
I made the mistake of updating last night using Apple's auto update. Shut down the system for the night, woke up this morning and was greeted by a kernel panic.

Unfortunately I also made the stupid mistake of not realizing that my Time Machine HD had stopped backing up in July 2010.

I am up and running with an external drive that has 10.6.4 loaded onto it. Can anyone suggest a way for me to get back to square one and fix the internal drive that has 10.6.5 loaded onto it?

I appreciate any assistance and thank you very much.

EX58-UD5
i7-920
GTS 250

It appears that my problem(s) were solved by installing the new SleepEnabler kext.
So far everything works except my Apple Magic Mouse. I can't get it to connect but oddly enough my Apple TrackPad connects and works fine.

Does anyone have a clue why the Magic Mouse doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back