Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
spd5mx said:
After installation reboot my display went black but after rebooted with HDMI unplugged all was ok, finally i get rid off Nullcpupowermanagment.kext without KP, Usb ports works with new kext, wake from sleep finally works with my usb mouse, Geekbench score just about 5900 with K 10.4, with 10.3.1 was about 6150, only non apple kexts realtekR1000sl, fakesmc, and voodoohda.Now memory loaded about 75% @ same scenario that in 10.6.3 was about 99% loaded, meaning better memory managment i think.

Hi, I have a GA X58A UD3R, 9800GT 1GB PNY , 6 GB RAM OSZ 1600 MHZ and whenI update to10.6.3 I have the same problem of you, my screen go to black and the monitor say sleep mode.

What do you mean when you write "i get rid off Nullcpupowermanagment.kext without KP"

Once you install the combo update, you have to run the MultyBeast 2.01 again and install the components before restart the OSX?
In case to install the components of Multy Beast, what components should install and what not?

Thanks for your patient.

Charies

charies said:
spd5mx said:
After installation reboot my display went black but after rebooted with HDMI unplugged all was ok, finally i get rid off Nullcpupowermanagment.kext without KP, Usb ports works with new kext, wake from sleep finally works with my usb mouse, Geekbench score just about 5900 with K 10.4, with 10.3.1 was about 6150, only non apple kexts realtekR1000sl, fakesmc, and voodoohda.Now memory loaded about 75% @ same scenario that in 10.6.3 was about 99% loaded, meaning better memory managment i think.

Hi, I have a GA X58A UD3R, 9800GT 1GB PNY , 6 GB RAM OSZ 1600 MHZ and whenI update to10.6.3 I have the same problem of you, my screen go to black and the monitor say sleep mode.

What do you mean when you write "i get rid off Nullcpupowermanagment.kext without KP"

Once you install the combo update, you have to run the MultyBeast 2.01 again and install the components before restart the OSX?
In case to install the components of Multy Beast, what components should install and what not?

Thanks for your patient.

Charies

Yes, you'll need to run MultiBeast after the combo update(do no restart after combo update)..

Praj.
I did it. When I reboot, the screen goes black and the monitor turn in sleep mode. Nothing happends after that.
What MuliBeast´s items do you recomend to reinstall?
I need to erase by hand some files before run the mulibeast?
Thanks

Charies

Hi,

Updated to 10.6.4 no prob - had to re-fix my sound (ALC888) by reinstalling the patch kexts but apart from that seems fine.

Cheers
Rob

It sounds like there are serious OpenGL issues for 10.6.4, GTX 285 affected...

Apple is mum, but nvidia is working on it...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-ma ... river.html

See this thread...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 5&tstart=0

From the Apple Forum...
Brody,
indeed - and this issue has materialized with all implementers of OpenGL utilizing specific calls, and only with the NV50HAL - i.e. on nvidia cards or chipsets.
Valve is not the only implementer indeed. Which is why Blizzard is having the same issue, and nvidia has already posted that THEY are aware of the issue. Start pretty much any games - or in fact, Adobe Premier CS5 with Mercury! - and the issues appears.
It affects the latest CUDA implementation (3.0.14) as well; it's kext is no longer initializing properly, and is flagged by 10.6.4 as outdated (which it isn't).

If you look at the console report when starting any of those, you see a slew of function calls that fail (from multi-core OpenGL initilization to activating GL array buffers.
If you don't you likely don't have one of the affected nvidia chipsets.

Could it theoretically be nvidia's problem? Maybe; but since Apple supplies us with drivers and the HAL, and not nvidia (or AMD) themselves, the onus falls on them.

Finally, Apple might not have noted that in the update FAQ, and OpenGL was indeed updated in a major way with 10.6.4. A number of ARBs and EXTs are new, higher version and the driver versioning for nvidia has changed as well (not sure what changes were made).

If you need OpenGL to work A OK, I would wait. I am going to test these new drives on my test drive and I will let you know. I thought 10.6.4 was a benign update, but it is a serious Open GL makeover by the sound of it and Apple was not so careful in terms of compatibility. Looks like Nvidia will hook up up, but if you really need OpenGL stability 10.6.2 is probably your best bet.

Update: On my hack it will not open the driver installer for the new nvidia drivers...I sayes it is an unsupported system. If anyone finds a workaround let me know. I tried it running 64 bit, maybe that is the problem.

Update: Here is more info, GTX 285 has issues with update...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 0&tstart=0

To remove platform dependency from the package:
1. Install XCode if you haven't yet(from Mac OS X Install disc).
2. Run /Developer/Applications/Utilities/PackageMaker.app
3. Drag the package with drivers on the package maker dock icon.
4. Remove the system check procedure from requirements:
Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 1.53.34 AM.PNG
5. Build&Run

This works on Mac OS Install dvd's in a similar way as well(if you have a non-retail restore dvd). The package name would be OSInstall.mpkg in /System/Installation/Packages/ on the dvd.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 1.53.34 AM.PNG
    Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 1.53.34 AM.PNG
    45.1 KB · Views: 243
I will try it!

EDIT: It does not appear to have any requirements, am I missing something?
EDIT: Rebuilt and ran and it just installed... I will let you know if performance is better...
EDIT: It found the new nvidia driver on boot and appears to be less laggy...

Folks should be aware that 10.6.4 seriously screws up OpenGL without this update, especially CUDA for CS5 etc...

UPDATE: Combo of this update plus 10.6.4 totally got rid of the "sound" that the card used t make i some Open GL apps. This might work for other nvidia cards...

hello i am new to the fourm :)
i have just recently updated my hackentosh with 10.6.4 using iboot supported and multibeast 2.0

and it worked great, at first i had some problems with usb support but the new iofamily kext seemed to fix it, how ever i am still having issues with one thing.

It seems since the update i have lost all iphone support, itunes will not read it at all.
just wondering if someone new of a fix?

i tryed this:
Deleteing the following files:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework
/Library/Receipts/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg
then re-installing the latest version of iTunes.

This didnt work, anyone?

cakemonster said:
I will try it!

EDIT: It does not appear to have any requirements, am I missing something?
EDIT: Rebuilt and ran and it just installed... I will let you know if performance is better...
EDIT: It found the new nvidia driver on boot and appears to be less laggy...

Folks should be aware that 10.6.4 seriously screws up OpenGL without this update, especially CUDA for CS5 etc...

UPDATE: Combo of this update plus 10.6.4 totally got rid of the "sound" that the card used t make i some Open GL apps. This might work for other nvidia cards...

Hey Cakemonster...

:headbang: :clap: :headbang: :clap: :headbang: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You ROCK ! :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back